• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goose poop

Feb 22, 2013
    monkey county
    Doc M, that is a great point. Just searched high and low and there is nothing I can find in regards to 'long guns' and transporting. I even checked MD DNR who used to have it in the guide, not anymore. Also, the only the I could find on MSP website from the FAQ section:

How can I legally transport firearms within / through Maryland?
    Answer: They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also consent searches gained via intimidation have been rules invalid by the court system (yes even in Maryland). Consent searches are usually the first thing challenged in most cases unless the report and defendant statements confirm that consent was not granted via intimidation or intimidation via presence.

This goes to Brooklyn and any other members: The best thing I can suggest you do is attend a citizens police academy given by your local or a neighboring agency. It will give you great insight into why we do the things we do.

:thumbsup:

Cool, collected, and well written replies like the one above also go a great way in educating us not in law enforcement of what to expect if pulled over and how best to interact with the officer(s). Appreciate the perspective.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Goosepoop,

This is only for hand-guns. There is no need to show a bona fied reason to have a long-gun in your car, as far as I'm aware... provided it is unloaded.
    That is correct... long guns can be transported as long as they are unloaded... remember the days of the 12ga in the p/u truck window rack? I know I carried mine that way for many years to and from hunting, with 5 rounds in a shell holder on the stock, clearly visible in the rear window... nothing has changed on those rules...

Edit - even got pulled over for speed one day on the shore (years ago), 12 ga resting on the passenger seat of my cargo van, bolt locked open, clearly visible and 5 rounds on the stock. The officer asked what I was up to, told him I had just been hunting on the other side of town, as was evidenced by a few bloody geese in the back of my van, which he could see. He warned me about speeding up too soon (wasn't quite at the 55mph sign coming out of town when he clocked me) and told me to have a nice day.

LONGSHOT

May 7, 2011
    ABERDEEN,HARFORD
    do you have any stickers on your car indicating gun ownership.5 years ago i was pulled over for a burnt out tail light and was given third degree about guns,got the inspection ticket,got home and removed all stickers,nra,and this car protected by a 9mm.

Last edited:

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, by either party. It has been 12 months since the laws have been changed and the officers on the road enforcing the laws should know them. If the “rookie” was from a State the required “papers” for someone to own a firearm he or she should be brought up to speed on the laws in this state. This event was completed without anyone getting hurt and we can only hope the next ends the same way.

mistaforty

May 25, 2013
    UPPER MARLBORO, MD
    The guy probably thought, "WTF" when you said "Dog Training"

Agreed. They saw the case as you said it was in plain site. Your answer wasn't just "to the range" or on the way home from the range so they probed a little you answered them. I think you handled it as best you could. Sometimes these questions expose Criminal activity sometimes not. Only people that get angry later are non criminals.

I do have to laugh because you're upset enough at THAT to make a call? Lol I've been snatched out of vehicles and harassed for FAR less coming up in DC. IF I'd known better back then, I would've/should've made a few calls myself I guess.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    Blackstar, in the United States of America we have a constitutional right not to answer any of your questions (I believe you even inform people of that right when you read them their Miranda rights). Additionally, we, as citizens, have a right against ILLEGAL searches and seizures. Apparently you disagree with these rights.

Any Right not exercised is a Right lost.

I must have missed something... because apparently you read between the words and discerned something I didn't type nor mean. At what point did I mention violating people's rights on the side of the road? Right I didn't! Asking questions at the drivers window doesn't violate any rights that I know of. If I stated I would waterboard the driver if he didn't answer my question then I would understand your overreaction. So help me help you understand where my stated actions would have violated someone's constitutional rights. But first READ THE ENTIRETY OF WHAT I POSTED. Thanks...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    An HQL is required to purchase, not possess.

MD transport law applies to handguns.

Dog training is an allowed activity in the 4-203 statute

IANAL

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Plus boss the academt is only 6 months......you think we can learn all the laws in 6 months. Were human too and prone to mistakes.

Easy solution to everything: leave people alone if they aren't bothering anyone.

Ignorance of the law is not a valid defense, by either party. It has been 12 months since the laws have been changed and the officers on the road enforcing the laws should know them. If the “rookie” was from a State the required “papers” for someone to own a firearm he or she should be brought up to speed on the laws in this state. This event was completed without anyone getting hurt and we can only hope the next ends the same way.

For the people who enforce these laws, yes. But for citizens, why not? Enough of this "IT'S DA LAW" BS. If they person wasn't doing anything "wrong", just leave them the hell alone. No victim, no crime.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I must have missed something... because apparently you read between the words and decreed something I didn't type nor mean. At what point did I mention violating people's rights on the side of the road? Right I didn't! Asking questions at the drivers window doesn't violate any rights that I know of. If I stated I would waterboard the driver if he didn't answer my question then I would understand your overreaction. So help me help you understand where my stated actions would have violated someone's consitutional rights. But first READ THE ENTIRTY OF WHAT I POSTED. Thanks...

Lots of gun owners think all cops are JBTs out to strip everyone of their rights. Usually the ones who are not allowed to have them in the first place.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    If I have guns in my car in plain view(or carry piece on me) and I get stopped I hand the Officer my CHP with my DL so he can be pretty sure I am not a felon.

In your opinion would doing the same thing with an HQL in MD prevent further questions (beyond destination) and possible vehicle extraction?

In MD the HQL is not required for possession -- sometime ago I suggested that getting an HQL to keep police from asking additional questions was good idea and I got thrashed for scare mongering /.

Well you are correct, but, I , of course was wrong so I can't agree with you or myself.

But these were long guns -- if you had produced an HQL it might have lead to more questions ??

beafly.cakes

Its not SOP but its up to the officer. It's a question any good officer has in repertoire. When I have a vehicle or person I plan to search or if I am fishing I will ask if there are any guns, knives bombs, drugs, other contraband, or angry midgets in the vehicle. The midget part is a ice breaker and is a private joke/ note of reverence to a PGPD academy instructor I had years ago CPL. Adams. I was a member of PGPD session 94.

The part I struggle with...

It is illegal for me to lie to you when you ask that question.

It is legal for me to have all of those items (save the generic contraband part) in my vehicle.

So if I answer yes, because I carry a pocket knife, or happen to have an angry midget in the back seat, am I giving you probable cause to search my vehicle and cause me and you a long afternoon for nothing?

So if I answer no, and lie, and you believe you already have probable cause. And search my vehicle and find an angry midget or some kitchen knives I just bought at target, now I've commited a crime when there was none.

If I tell you I'm not going to answer questions, I'm being non-cooperative and you may become suspicious and search my vehicle anyways. And we all have a long day for nothing.

So, what the heck is a honest law abiding citizen to do when presented with such a situation. We're bent over because any decision we make has the potential to ruin our day.

Oh and to make matters worse, you're legally allowed to lie to our faces and in fact use it as a tactic, which means you're difficult to trust.

This all leads to a very challenging situation at best and a cluster at worst.

I respect what you do. I appreciate your sacrifices. You're in a tough situation, I get it. Can you understand why your choice of words puts us in a tough situation as well?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I must have missed something... because apparently you read between the words and decreed something I didn't type nor mean. At what point did I mention violating people's rights on the side of the road? Right I didn't! Asking questions at the drivers window doesn't violate any rights that I know of. If I stated I would waterboard the driver if he didn't answer my question then I would understand your overreaction. So help me help you understand where my stated actions would have violated someone's consitutional rights. But first READ THE ENTIRTY OF WHAT I POSTED. Thanks...

You did no such thing..

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Part of the "Guns Everywhere" Georgia just signed into law are these provisions:

The police are specifically prohibited from:
    1. Stopping and questioning you over gun possession without suspicion of another crime being committed.
    2. You are not obligated to tell officers if you are carrying firearms.
    3. Creating a database of gun owners

Combined with face to face handgun sales and there is no way they check in their system whether you legally posses a firearm.

Screw the People's Republic of Maryland and their innocent until proven guilty tactics.
    Come on down to a real state.

That's awesome! A lot more states need to do this. Way to go Georgia!:thumbsup:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Well i am 100% different being in D.C. but I will tell you 99% of cops and citizens in D.C. think the tint law is the same in DC as it is in MD but in actuality the tint % in DC on the front is 70% (basically no tint) not the 35% that everyone thinks.

Curious here, does that apply to any vehicle in DC or just DC plated vehicles? Factory or aftermarket? Really just curious.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I got pulled over a couple years ago by one of AACO's best for speeding. At the time I had black full-sized AK47 and Tommy gun decals in the middle of my back window surrounded by other gun/pro freedom stickers. He walked up and made a friendly joke about it asking me if they were real guns. He then said slow down and let me off with just a warning. That's the way it should be in a free country.
    Here's a picture of it from the inside...

Attachments

• window.JPG
      window.JPG
      29.7 KB · Views: 297

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I was pulled over by a Park Police officer as I approached an entrance to Rock Creek Park one morning. (I was going a little too fast after rolling a stop sign.) The officer did ask me, in the course of the stop, whether I had any weapons. I manfully resisted the temptation to reply that a 3500 pound vehicle traveling at speed could be considered a weapon. Actually I was flattered to think that he thought I looked like a dangerous character. I'm now sad to see my bubble broken; he probably said that to all his stops.

I told him no, even though I was carrying a folding-blade cutting tool. Definitions are such cloudy things; so much depends on your point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom