• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Delmarva Shooting Clays and Rifle Range.

The only thing not allowed is 50BMG still. I never made it out to the 500y once I saw how much it would hop. I went through 60 rounds Friday and stopped when I said "f" it, this is going to need a tune up to get better. Overall a great round to shoot, but the rifle needs modifying for sure. I've seen comparison videos with a different brake and that difference alone was significant.

that's a fantastic muzzle brake demonstration, thx!

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    that's a fantastic muzzle brake demonstration, thx!

Yes, I second that notion. Great demonstration. Very significant difference. Looking for .338 Lapua for near future, thought a brake was a brake. Got more criteria to go by now. Thx again

That's just a video I found on youtube, but it helped me see how bad the factory brake really was. I really like the APA Fat Bastard which is what I decided on. Really calms the rifle down and makes the shots a lot better.

I have my reloading gear coming for the 338. I only had stuff for my 308's. I have plenty of brass to reload :D

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    muzzle brakes are NOT created equal. As ugly as they look, the JP Recoil Eliminator (commonly called the tank brake in the trade) is just about as good a unit as I have found. The APA fat bastard works well, as does the Hellfire (area 419 tactical product) but the JP gets my vote for really nasty rounds. If JP does not offer the correct bore diameter, buy the one below it an have your smith (or do it yourself if you are sure you can correctly) chuck it up and ream to the correct clearance for your round.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    It's been a while since I've posted in here and I still haven't done the bolt knob upgrade. I was at Delmarva on Friday though and started thinking that I want to upgrade the barrel now. Call it crazy, but I've spent more time on precision shooting than I have anything else. Getting the most accurate shot is an awesome feeling so that's where I'm at. I've been looking at Kreiger (sp) barrels, but not much else to compare quality to. I believe the functional barrel length on the factory is 24" and I am looking to go to true 26" functional length or maybe 27".

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    26", most barrel makers start charging more for anything past 26", at least from what I've seen. As for who to choose, that's like Ford vs. Chevy, 9mm vs. 45 - everyone has a preference.

Personally, you've seen how my .260 shoots. That's just a run of the mill Shilen Stainless Match barrel. Maybe I got lucky and I just got a good shooting barrel, who's to say really. All I know is that the rifle is almost boringly consistent out to 500 at DSC. 600 at New Holland gets to be more fun, but only because of atmospheric conditions. I haven't had an opportunity to pop it's cherry at 600+ yet.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Don't forget bartlien barrels of you're looking for a new one.....lots of them on the fclass line. I just got a new Krieger barrel but it's not broke it yet or handoads for it yet. Can't go wrong with either. My target gun has a bartlien and shoots way better than me!

Get a blank barrel and ream it for the round you'll shoot, better than the sami spec cut ones.

Lots of quality barrels around, some times you get lucky and others you don't.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    26", most barrel makers start charging more for anything past 26", at least from what I've seen. As for who to choose, that's like Ford vs. Chevy, 9mm vs. 45 - everyone has a preference.

Personally, you've seen how my .260 shoots. That's just a run of the mill Shilen Stainless Match barrel. Maybe I got lucky and I just got a good shooting barrel, who's to say really. All I know is that the rifle is almost boringly consistent out to 500 at DSC. 600 at New Holland gets to be more fun, but only because of atmospheric conditions. I haven't had an opportunity to pop it's cherry at 600+ yet.

I'm still playing with different loads on the 338 so I haven't touched 500 yet. Maybe next time to DSC I'll get out that far. Where is New Holland?

Don't forget bartlien barrels of you're looking for a new one.....lots of them on the fclass line. I just got a new Krieger barrel but it's not broke it yet or handoads for it yet. Can't go wrong with either. My target gun has a bartlien and shoots way better than me!

Get a blank barrel and ream it for the round you'll shoot, better than the sami spec cut ones.

Lots of quality barrels around, some times you get lucky and others you don't.

Good info to know. I'll be getting a good smith to work out details and specifics with me. Part of the fun is figuring out the best option.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm still playing with different loads on the 338 so I haven't touched 500 yet. Maybe next time to DSC I'll get out that far. Where is New Holland?

Just inside of PA. That's where I popped my cherry on 600yd F-Class. Nice range, good people, good times.

Haven't hit the 500yd line yet?! Slacker...

I'm tentatively planning on a DSC trip this Saturday if the weather holds out. Haven't been behind the .260 in longer than I'd like to admit, so that needs to be addressed. Need some 'Group Therapy' in a big way.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just inside of PA. That's where I popped my cherry on 600yd F-Class. Nice range, good people, good times.

I'm tentatively planning on a DSC trip this Saturday if the weather holds out. Haven't been behind the .260 in longer than I'd like to admit, so that needs to be addressed. Need some 'Group Therapy' in a big way.

Brad give Reade a shot, it's farther but electronic targets. I'll drive the extra hour to not have to cook alive in July and August! Fees went up (gotta pay for the targets somehow lol) but usually done shooting by noon or so.

I'm half tempted to take the 6mmbr out to 1k line and see how it does that's twice the shooting. I'll be at most events if you wanna go, hit me up.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll have to look into Reade, sounds interesting, and a 1k yard line definitely gets my attention. I've been chomping at the bit to stretch out the .260's legs some.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

Not slacking. Messing with loads haha. I’ve got an OAL gauge and comp shell holders coming to hone in my loads even more. Plus another 100 338 250g pellets so I’ll be doing some loading before I head back. I was just at DSC Friday.

Brad give Reade a shot, it's farther but electronic targets. I'll drive the extra hour to not have to cook alive in July and August! Fees went up (gotta pay for the targets somehow lol) but usually done shooting by noon or so.

I'm half tempted to take the 6mmbr out to 1k line and see how it does that's twice the shooting. I'll be at most events if you wanna go, hit me up.

Do they let anyone shoot the 1k? I’m almost dialed with my hand loads and want to reach out a grand really bad.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Do they let anyone shoot the 1k? I’m almost dialed with my hand loads and want to reach out a grand really bad.

I'm not sure they do honestly, however in fclass they do NOT allow muzzle brakes, and that's a disqualifier for you.

On top of that shooting 80 rounds is gonna be rough for the shooter. I watched a big azz PA farm boy score drop quick from the first relay to the last woth a 300wm.

I don't think peacemaker allows 338 either. Sorry man

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Got to bust balls every now and then, although as long as my rifle has been sitting in the case, I can't say much. ;)

I'm interested in hearing an answer on the 1k yard question myself. I've got data for 600, but not for 1k. Even if I had to qualify, feel reasonably confident I could get something on paper (a big piece of paper...).

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Got to bust balls every now and then, although as long as my rifle has been sitting in the case, I can't say much. ;)

I'm interested in hearing an answer on the 1k yard question myself. I've got data for 600, but not for 1k. Even if I had to qualify, feel reasonably confident I could get something on paper (a big piece of paper...).

For 1k yes you don't need to qualify, sign up and shoot.

At 1k x ring is 5" and 10 ring is 10".....id imagine you'd hang at least in the 9 ring most of the day minus the afternoon wind gusts from right to left. Pay attention to the last 600 yards wind calls, first 400 pretty protected. Mirage sucks there, shale base!

At 600 I've had to hold out to the 6 ring a time or 2!

Dope depending on what your shooting, 30 MOA would be a good start. My 6.5CM was 31.5 MOA at 1k shooting factory 140gr.

http://www.readerange.org

I've got the calendar printed at work

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm not sure they do honestly, however in fclass they do NOT allow muzzle brakes, and that's a disqualifier for you.

On top of that shooting 80 rounds is gonna be rough for the shooter. I watched a big azz PA farm boy score drop quick from the first relay to the last woth a 300wm.

I don't think peacemaker allows 338 either. Sorry man

I'm not looking at competition. Just recreational shooting to 1k. I believe Peacemaker was just no 50BMG last I checked though.... Unless it changed.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    pntc is no 338 and up on the steel. and the matches (LRC, PRS, etc) limit the rifles to 30cal or smaller at 3150 or slower.

And speed, I shoot my 6BR 8twist varmint gun at a grand. Unless wind is rocking, its almost boring. I like being able to run off five rounds (with a single shot, ejectorless gun) faster than the guys with braked 308s can send three. Keeps me closer to the same wind condition.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    pntc is no 338 and up on the steel. and the matches (LRC, PRS, etc) limit the rifles to 30cal or smaller at 3150 or slower.

And speed, I shoot my 6BR 8twist varmint gun at a grand. Unless wind is rocking, its almost boring. I like being able to run off five rounds (with a single shot, ejectorless gun) faster than the guys with braked 308s can send three. Keeps me closer to the same wind condition.

That's good to hear! With the 1:8 assuming 107gr?
    30 MOA about right?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'm running the 107s over 27.2gr Benchmark (I know I'm giving up about 175-200fps by not using Varget or 15, but it shoots sweet). I average 9.5MIL (8.75MOA) on the 1000yd KD range. depends on conditions. If you are shooting paper match out to a grand, I would shoot nothing but a 6br or one of its wildcats unless your regular range has ripping wind. even at PNTC, which is not known for favorable wind conditions, my little 6br can run with the creedmoors and 308s. My strings are the same speed or faster, even with an ejectorless gun, and the barrel heats up a lot less. This is particularly critical when you are shooting on paper as the warm weather really makes barrel heat your enemy fast. I hunt groundhogs with the rifle mainly and thus I have not installed a mirage shield. Those that have, such as those shooting exclusively on a range, get even less heat trouble than I do.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    9.5 mil = roughly 33 MOA, so I should be close.

I've got a dedicated tube gun that tapers to 1"...i still have mirage pretty good in the summer.

Thanks, I'll give 1k a shot with the 6mmbr at least until I see what the 150gr 6.5CM does

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom