• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    you skipped the 28 gauge. The .410 is one of the 4 gauges for registered skeet 12 20 28 & .410. That is whats kept it alive. It can be fun to shoot clays with, I know with my skill level it wouldnt be an ethical choice for hunting.
    I dont own a .410 or a 28 but they are both fun and expensive to shoot. If you plan to shoot much of either buy a reloading press along with the gun.
    If I was going to call a round gay it would be paintball or maybe 32 gauge (I am joking)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    you skipped the 28 gauge. The .410 is one of the 4 gauges for registered skeet 12 20 28 & .410. That is whats kept it alive. It can be fun to shoot clays with, I know with my skill level it wouldnt be an ethical choice for hunting.
    I dont own a .410 or a 28 but they are both fun and expensive to shoot. If you plan to shoot much of either buy a reloading press along with the gun.
    If I was going to call a round gay it would be paintball or maybe 32 gauge (I am joking)

Yes I did by intent, I bet half or better here have never heard of it. I also bet it's even scarcer in the field than a .410.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .410 is a niche item for skeet , clays , and quail hunting w/ a challenge on purpose. A $3 difference per box of shells is a minor issue for most owners of multi thousand $ high end guns.

For a starter gun for youth/ beginners they would be better served with a 20ga.

I have a cpl .410 single that I think of as .22shotshells on steriods.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    The .410 is a niche item for skeet , clays , and quail hunting w/ a challenge on purpose. A $3 difference per box of shells is a minor issue for most owners of multi thousand $ high end guns.

For a starter gun for youth/ beginners they would be better served with a 20ga.

I have a cpl .410 single that I think of as .22shotshells on steriods.

Thing is 99.9% of those .410's are not thousands of bucks, in fact they are on the opposite end of the spectrum. You are correct though about the 20 being better served. Universal and powerful enough to do anything within reason.

CAS_Shooter

Jan 24, 2012
    A 00 pellet traveling at 1200fps does not know if it was shot from a 410, 12, 16, or 20 ga. The law of physics assures that 00 pellet will have the same impact on its target without regard to what long barrel it came out of. As to having no value in HD, tell that to the elderly and small framed folks who cannot handle a larger firearm. I don't know why the wave of interest in the 410, but lets not confuse why it might be currently popular with the science based facts about ballistics. Four 00 buckshot from a 410 will have the same affect as four 00 buckshot out of a 12 ga. The difference is number of pellets not impact force.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    My FIL has a 1960s Savage O/U 410 .22 combo that he absolutely loves. Admittedly, it's a beautiful weapon with deep bluing and gorgeous hardwood. It was his fathers and it holds a lot of sentimental value to him. That being said, because of this 410/22 Savage, he thinks 410 is the greatest caliber shell ever...

He thinks it's better for home defense than my 12 gauge, and anytime I mention using the 12 on something (squirrel, rabbit, hog, etc...) he says "that's a bit overkill - that work is meant for a 410.”

It's freaking annoying. Anyway, I think I'm going to buy him a Judge for father’s day this year. I know, I know - I'm fueling the fire.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I don't know about the efficacy of .410 as a home defense weapon, but it does have a time-honored tradition in hunting and clay shooting. I can't imagine going quail hunting with a 12 gauge - unless your goal is to vaporize them.

And as I said, for clays, it sets apart the serious shooters from the rest. A number of my shooting friends pretty much practice with either 28 gauge or .410 bore. The logic being that if you can score high with those, then 12 gauge is easy.

I don't have a .410 yet and will most likely eventually get a set of Briley tubes for my 20 gauge shotgun. I do have a set of 28 gauge tubes and I love shooting it. 28 gauge is a lot of fun. Good ballistic pattern characteristics and hardly any recoil. But at $10/box for shells not something I'm going to shoot exclusively. I figure that 20 gauge is going to be my "every day" gauge for clay games.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    My impression:

1) My sisters and I at an early age learned rifle with the .22 and shotgun with the .410. Little kick and overall much lighter, so we were able and happy to shoot with them when we were small.

2) Grandfather (@ ~90 years) isn't as steady on his feet as he used to be, but still lives on his farm and the rabbits/groundhogs still like his veggies. Grandfather would rather eat the veggies himself than feed the critters.

3) I only shoot skeet occassionally, but fully understand that getting hits with the .410 is much more challenging than with a 12 gauge. When I start getting 22/24 or better I'll look to shrinking the size of my rounds, perhaps someday getting down to .410. In the meantime I'll just stand in awe of you fellows scoring high with the .410

4) As for recent revival, the Taurus judge may also be contributing. It certainly received a decent amount of attention this past year and a bit.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I don't know why everyone is so down on .410's. They are almost EXACTLY 1/3 of a 12ga. The velocity is still the same, only 1/3 the shot count or slug weight. This makes it perfect for anything a 12ga. is overkill for. People who cannot shoot 12ga. due to stature or disability can still shoot it, and follow up shots are a lot easier. 1 12ga. = 9 OO buck. 3 .410= 9 OO buck, but 3 chances to hit the target. Same velocity either way.

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    I like the idea of the OU .22/410, that would be the perfect boys gun and mess around kind of thing.

They are superlative.

HPIM1533.jpg

Forager

Imported curmudgeon
    Feb 12, 2012
    In the Lion's den
    Pre-Savage take-over Stevens .22/.410. Essentially, the same gun as the early small frame Savage .22/.410s and 24s.

I've that one, and one much like it in .22WMR/.410.

Among my favorite critter-getters.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I used to use a .410 for hunting squirrels and rabbits all the time when I was a kid. As someone previously mentioned, the .410 can be very humbling on the skeet field as can 28 gauge.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    A .410 is a challenge for game, but speaking of costing too much, I like the 28 ga much more. And 12 ga does not decimate a quail, just pick your shot shells wisely, and know when/how to take your shot.

lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    I was managing to find single shot .410s all over the place here in NC for well under $100....more like the $50-75 range.

August,

I will be in Atlantic Beach in a few weekends and will be around New Bern and Morehead. Is there a gun shop worth stopping in for $50 .410 or a good price on a 22lr/22mg revolver or even just a fun place to browse. :D

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    tonight, I picked up a single shot 20ga rossi for cheap to see how my wife and mother in-law will be able to shoot it.
    If they can tolerate the recoil using lighter rounds, I'll stick with it. If not, then I'll have to go down to .410

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom