• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I own both and I can tell you that I would pick the Sr22 any day of the week. Maybe I got a bad one but my Mosquito has been a constant pain in the arse. My Ruger has been absolutely reliable with any ammo including the cheap stuff.

TheDonMD

Mar 18, 2013
    HoCo
    Looking for a .22 to just have fun with at the range and eventually have my kids shooting when they get a little older. Suggestions on one or the other and why? Iv heard the mosquito can be finicky with the kind of amo. Anyone else have this issue?

Had no idea about having 2 grip sizes! Nice! Their customer service is great as well

PM me if you have any interest in a used one with with lots of extras. Also, where do you folks shoot? I could let you try it out.

Dec 31, 2012
    SR22 eats anything. Only problem I've ever had was with Thunderbolts and that was issues with the ammo, not the gun.

I shoot shorts, longs, CB's, primer only, pretty much any 22 round through my SR22.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    SR22 and you won't regret the purchase. Everyone who has shot mine loves it.

I've shot it a few times, great little gun, there ergos are terrific. Very rare that someone has an issue. Having said that, a few range trips ago this younger guy (20's) came over to our group and asked if we had some gun oil; I took a look and he had an sr22. I asked what kind of ammo he was using and he said .22; I looked at him, and then he said, 'long rifle'; I smiled and said 'CCI, stinger, thunderbolt?' That was funny.

It just looked really dirty, the feed ramp was filthy; we didn't have any oil (I forgot my cleaning kit, took it out for some reason), but informed him he could drip some motor oil from his cars dip-stick and scrape it with any brush or even a towel and finger nail (in a pinch). I think he could have even used a stick wrapped in a paper towel that thing was so crusty. These are not the best options, or even recommended, but when the gun won't go bang and its all you have on hand; why not try.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    The Sig Mosquito is a POS, a big POS, a huge POS. Don't buy it unless your goal is to perfect your tap rack and maybe bang technique. The thing has constant failure to feed, failure to fire and failure to eject. I have used 21 different types of ammo for a total 3190 rounds CCI MM run the best, but it is still a POS. I do have a Colt/Walther/Umarex 22 1911 that shoots everything with no problems 2390 rounds and I can count the problems with out using both hands. The Colt runs nearly perfect suppressed and non suppressed. The Sig won't run no matter what you do with it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One lesson is the heavier the gun is the less recoil there is. And when you are without experience that can be good because beginners often don't hold the pistol tight enough to prevent getting stovepipes from the "limp wrist" effect. All that being said if it was me and my significant other was worried about weight I would go for either a Buckmark Lite or a Ruger 22/45 Lite. Some frame types of the Buckmark (UDX and URX frames) have smaller grip thickness front to back which makes them especially good for people with smaller hands.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I teach with both. I use the Mosquito to ensure that a student gets a few FTF/FTE, stovepipes etc. I then let them see the difference with the same ammo in the SR22. Both are great guns and easy to maintain. I prefer the SR22.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Sig Mosquito I'd be willing to sell you very cheap. Having said that, don't ever buy a Sig Mosquito.
    Actually it seems to do ok unsuppressed but with a suppressor it's horrible. (And that's why I bought it so it just sits in my safe now)

Interesting, most reports I have heard is that the Mosquito works great suppressed, not so great unsuppressed.

I picked one up from someone here on MDS cheap. It works great with CCI Mini Mags. Will not cycle at all with Winchester M22.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My daughter's must be the freak that proves the rule. Does fine with Mini Mags, M-22, Super X, Federal bulk.

Maybe because its Pink?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I teach with both. I use the Mosquito to ensure that a student gets a few FTF/FTE, stovepipes etc. I then let them see the difference with the same ammo in the SR22. Both are great guns and easy to maintain. I prefer the SR22.

Lol, Sig basically built a malfunction training device.

I have a SR22 and it has been quite reliable. It does require cleaning eventually. A couple of months a go I took my nephew shooting and after a couple of mags he started to get FTFs on every third round or so. Once the crud builds up on the feedramp, even the SR22 will start to jam. A good cleaning and it has been trouble-free since.

Two things I dont like about the SR22: The DA trigger pull is atrocious and can be hard for someone with limited hand strength. The goofy safety/decocker which is a logic different from how the safety works on most other contemporary handguns.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Excellent points traveller.

I don't remember the trigger pull on DA, trust you. But the safety is backward, up to fire, down for safe, that's crazy!?!

I'm not a fan of manual external safeties on personal defense pistols, especially for ccw (1911 being a big exception, and any single action that requires cocked and locked (some cz's, early highpowers, etc). For a target pistol or range toy, don't care.

SAFETY_phatchfinal.jpg

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.

Basically it's only really good for malfunctions! This response pretty mucccc says it all lol

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I don't remember the trigger pull on DA, trust you. But the safety is backward, up to fire, down for safe, that's crazy!?!

I'm not a fan of manual external safeties on personal defense pistols, especially for ccw (1911 being a big exception, and any single action that requires cocked and locked (some cz's, early highpowers, etc). For a target pistol or range toy, don't care.

SAFETY_phatchfinal.jpg

I didn't even think about the upside down aspect. This is designed to be as safe as possible as a training tool, also has a mag disconnect so nobody can put a round in his ear because 'he didn't remember there was a round in the chamber'. This is not intended as a self defense weapon.

Here is why I dont like the combination of decocker and hard DA pull: If someone has a hard time pulling the DA trigger, the only way to hand them the gun is cocked with the safety off. I dont think that's a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom