• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I can see about a million 80% kits being bought in the next 12 months by Marylanders. ;)

Not really sure an 80% kit is going to help a person to comply.

Only reason I am thinking about buying a ton of 80% lowers right now is so I can just have them waiting in a closet to be built up when the SHTF. It makes no sense to build them up right now if I plan on complying with this BS IF it gets passed.

I need to stop looking at this crap right now before I have a stroke. A post in the Water Cooler made me look, and after a first read through the bill my blood pressure has spiked.

What happens if you built your HBAR into a pistol first and then built it into a currently compliant HBAR long gun? Do you need to register it because of the new pistol issue? What happens to those of us that have an AR pistol that is currently legal, but that is being added to the definition of Copycat Weapon? Is there a grandfather clause for pistols built/bought before this legislation would go into effect?

This is a complete pile of dung.

Good news though, I live in a sanctuary county. Think I am kidding myself here too.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Looks like a Benelli M4 would become a Copycat Weapon based upon this bill. What if it is a SBR? Guessing that it would still be illegal. Any grandfathering clause for those that already own these firearms that would be considered copycat weapons?

Time for some more Advil.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Not really sure an 80% kit is going to help a person to comply.

Only reason I am thinking about buying a ton of 80% lowers right now is so I can just have them waiting in a closet to be built up when the SHTF. It makes no sense to build them up right now if I plan on complying with this BS IF it gets passed.

I need to stop looking at this crap right now before I have a stroke. A post in the Water Cooler made me look, and after a first read through the bill my blood pressure has spiked.

What happens if you built your HBAR into a pistol first and then built it into a currently compliant HBAR long gun? Do you need to register it because of the new pistol issue? What happens to those of us that have an AR pistol that is currently legal, but that is being added to the definition of Copycat Weapon? Is there a grandfather clause for pistols built/bought before this legislation would go into effect?

This is a complete pile of dung.

Good news though, I live in a sanctuary county. Think I am kidding myself here too.

Dido

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Anybody that bought a firearm from October 1, 2013 to today (exception being those that had a purchase order in place for one prior to October 1, 2013) that falls within the new definition of copycat weapon, will no longer be able to own that weapon based upon this proposed law. AR pistols that fall under the Copycat description, unless purchased prior to October 1, 2013, would no longer be able to be owned.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Anybody that bought a firearm from October 1, 2013 to today (exception being those that had a purchase order in place for one prior to October 1, 2013) that falls within the new definition of copycat weapon, will no longer be able to own that weapon based upon this proposed law. AR pistols that fall under the Copycat description, unless purchased prior to October 1, 2013, would no longer be able to be owned.

So doesn't this make non HBAR now Legal ?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So doesn't this make non HBAR now Legal ?

Nope. It makes almost everything and its mother illegal. The Copycat Weapon test for long guns has also been changed to just ONE feature. Those that were saying that AR's in cartridges other than .223 were alright, might have to take a much closer look at the Copycat definition for semi-automatic rifles.

Anybody that bought a lower after FSA2013 became law to make it into an SBR has to take a long look at the definition of Copycat Weapon now.

Really hoping this pile of garbage does not pass.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    28 (3) [A] SUBJECT TO PARAGRAPH (6) OF THIS SUBSECTION, A person
    29 who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase
    30 an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:
    31 (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon; or
    32 (ii) while carrying a court order requiring the surrender of the
    33 assault long gun or copycat weapon, transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon

15 (6) (I) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT LONG
    16 GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2020, SHALL REGISTER THE
    17 ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE
    18 POLICE ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2021.

IANAL but it makes it sound like paragraph 6 would overwrite paragraph 3 ?

So a grandfathering provision but anything obtained after 10-1-2020 is now 'banned'

The 'registration' portion if you decided to comply before 1-2021 is not defined yet.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    IANAL but it makes it sound like paragraph 6 would overwrite paragraph 3 ?

So a grandfathering provision but anything obtained after 10-1-2020 is now 'banned'

The 'registration' portion if you decided to comply before 1-2021 is not defined yet.

Phew, so we all just have to register everything we have ever bought that now fits the description of an assault weapon.

I am going to have to take a nap and re-read through this entire pile of garbage and start making a list. Think I'll just register every single lower I own. Might register my Benelli SBE too since I can get a pistol grip stock for it. Luckily, my Ruger 10/22 is a rimfire, so pistol grip and thumbhole stocks are fine and dandy on it without having to register them.

I need to stay away from this stuff until the session is over. Better for my health that way. Your "unity of community" thread title in the Water Cooler made me click on it and panic. Thought it was a get together type thread, but was a sky is falling pronouncement. Glad you cleared it up. The sky is not falling, we might just have to register a lot of stuff this year. All good. I am great with paperwork.

Still not feeling warm and fuzzy and a lot of stuff is going to change going forward based upon the new definition of Copycat Weapon. Yay.

I wonder how many people will not comply just because they will not know about this bill/law?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Spot on. I have been saying the same thing. All it is going to take is democratic control of both houses and the presidency for another federal assault weapons ban to take place. Plus anything else they want to pass. I would not put it past them to throw confiscation in there.

I think if the dems get control of both federal houses and the presidency one of their first priorities will be to raise the number of justices in SCOTUS (many people don't realize that number is set by Congress, *not* the Constitution) and stack it with virulent young lefties, thus ensuring their total control for decades to come regardless of those pesky elections where the masses sometimes have the nerve to choose another party.

But back to the bill, yeah, this is awful.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Phew, so we all just have to register everything we have ever bought that now fits the description of an assault weapon.

I am going to have to take a nap and re-read through this entire pile of garbage and start making a list. Think I'll just register every single lower I own. Might register my Benelli SBE too since I can get a pistol grip stock for it. Luckily, my Ruger 10/22 is a rimfire, so pistol grip and thumbhole stocks are fine and dandy on it without having to register them.

I need to stay away from this stuff until the session is over. Better for my health that way. Your "unity of community" thread title in the Water Cooler made me click on it and panic. Thought it was a get together type thread, but was a sky is falling pronouncement. Glad you cleared it up. The sky is not falling, we might just have to register a lot of stuff this year. All good. I am great with paperwork.

Still not feeling warm and fuzzy and a lot of stuff is going to change going forward based upon the new definition of Copycat Weapon. Yay.

I wonder how many people will not comply just because they will not know about this bill/law?

My guess would be a lot because as usual it's a complete ******** law and even those who wrote it don't fully understand it. (As usual)

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    My guess would be a lot because as usual it's a complete ******** law and even those who wrote it don't fully understand it. (As usual)

Me no speaky stupidio politico, so I would have no idea what they want done if they pass it.

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    Reading this thread makes me feel like I need buy an AR-15. I have no interest in rifles right now, but I am just getting into firearms and feel like I’ll regret it down the road if I decide I want a rifle and end up with some goofy/inferior rifle like the California stuff I’ve seen :/

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Reading this thread makes me feel like I need buy an AR-15. I have no interest in rifles right now, but I am just getting into firearms and feel like I’ll regret it down the road if I decide I want a rifle and end up with some goofy/inferior rifle like the California stuff I’ve seen :/

better hurry price gouging around the corner

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016

Don't stop at 1 friend.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Don't stop at 1 friend.

This right here.

I never really even wanted an AR15 or an AR-10. Was happy with my one handgun, shotguns, bolt action rifles, a Ruger 10/22, and a Ruger Mini-30. Maryland brought back the assault weapon bill in 2009, so I bought an AR-15 and an AR-10 just in case. Took 4 years, Sandy hook, and a delusional Martin O'Malley trying to become the next President for FSA2013 to be proposed and passed, at which point the floodgates opened up at the Roman household. Think I am going to buy a couple more large frame lowers just for the heck of it now.

I still do not shoot the handguns or the ARs all that often, but I have them if need be.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Am I reading this right? For every Copycat Weapon that I legally own prior to 10/1/2020, the registration fee is $290. There is no free registration prior to January 1, 2021?

If I am reading this correctly, this is absurd. Then again, this is Atterbeary looking out for her rich constituents/contributors and screwing over the poor. Good. The rich will be able to easily out gun the poor, unless they happen to be poor criminals. All written tongue in cheek.

Now, I have to get back to work so I can afford these ridiculous registration fees.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Am I reading this right? For every Copycat Weapon that I legally own prior to 10/1/2020, the registration fee is $290. There is no free registration prior to January 1, 2021?

If I am reading this correctly, this is absurd. Then again, this is Atterbeary looking out for her rich constituents/contributors and screwing over the poor. Good. The rich will be able to easily out gun the poor, unless they happen to be poor criminals. All written tongue in cheek.

Now, I have to get back to work so I can afford these ridiculous registration fees.
    You're not reading it correctly. No fee is specified prior to the expanded ban beginning.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I hate to say this but, while many of us get what squaregrouper did and understand why, he was only seen by those in the room at the time. How would the results of the hearing be represented to the rest of the senate? Those who were not there did not see. It will most certainly be reported as; xx number for and only x number against. They will only see the numbers and the end result is that they will see it as being safe to vote for that bill.
    I'm certainly not trying to bash him, I understand his motive. I am just trying to look at the whole picture and envision how our enemies would see and respond, not only to this but, also to some of the suggestions from our side to make bad law more palatable. We must not educate our opponents or assist them in their actions against us, in any way shape, form or fashion. It's hard to do sometimes and we may inadvertently slip but, we must do better.

The upcoming elections will most likely be the most important of our lifetime! The attitude I have seen displayed by some is, "I am only one person" or "my vote doesn't really make a difference". When only 14% can decide who has power, EVERY vote matters! Your right to vote must never be ignored! Far too many have paid the price for the rights we have, they must be used and if necessary, defended!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    You're not reading it correctly. No fee is specified prior to the expanded ban beginning.

(6) (I) A PERSON WHO LAWFULLY POSSESSED AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2020, SHALL REGISTER THE ASSAULT LONG GUN OR COPYCAT WEAPON WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF STATE POLICE ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 1, 2021.

Thing is, I want to make sure that Crim Law section 4-306 does not apply to me. Only possible if I register the Copycat Weapon after 12/31/2020.

If I register my Copycat Weapon between 10/1/2020 and 12/31/2020, am I still not subjected to the penalties in Crim Law section 4-306?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I hate to say this but, while many of us get what squaregrouper did and understand why, he was only seen by those in the room at the time. How would the results of the hearing be represented to the rest of the senate? Those who were not there did not see. It will most certainly be reported as; xx number for and only x number against. They will only see the numbers and the end result is that they will see it as being safe to vote for that bill.
    I'm certainly not trying to bash him, I understand his motive. I am just trying to look at the whole picture and envision how our enemies would see and respond, not only to this but, also to some of the suggestions from our side to make bad law more palatable. We must not educate our opponents or assist them in their actions against us, in any way shape, form or fashion. It's hard to do sometimes and we may inadvertently slip but, we must do better.

The upcoming elections will most likely be the most important of our lifetime! The attitude I have seen displayed by some is, "I am only one person" or "my vote doesn't really make a difference". When only 14% can decide who has power, EVERY vote matters! Your right to vote must never be ignored! Far too many have paid the price for the rights we have, they must be used and if necessary, defended!

You think you might be preaching to the choir here?

Ask not what others have done to save your RIGHTS today, but ask what you have done to save your RIGHTS today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom