• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Source: Congress.gov H.R. 38 page

The portion I've bolded above worries me. Does this not make concealed carry all or nothing? If reciprocity under this bill is contingent on a given state allowing concealed carry of any kind, then what's stopping may-issue states like Maryland from passing a law making the state no-issue and preventing ANYONE from carrying here? I wouldn't put it past our state legislators.

Apologies if this has already been answered within the thread - I didn't read through all 224 existing pages of the thread.

The main reason for that is that even the most anti-gun Circuit decisions concede that such a right exists, in theory. They just hold that may-issue satisfies intermediate scrutiny. No court has held that no-issue is permissible.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    It's never been specifically ruled on by Scotus, but the way DC and IL folding like they did tells me they didn't like their chances.
    Their other option is to go all OC, which will be the absolute last thing they'll do

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    Oh, good to know - thanks! Might be time to apply for a Utah NR permit then.

I predict if the bill makes it out of the Senate and out of committee the final version will only apply to a permits issued by the carry holders home state.

NR permits will be a thing of the past, otherwise the MSP licensing division and HPRB will be things of the past. There is a small group here that won't know what to do with themselves twice a month. :D

john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Source: Congress.gov H.R. 38 page

The portion I've bolded above worries me. Does this not make concealed carry all or nothing? If reciprocity under this bill is contingent on a given state allowing concealed carry of any kind, then what's stopping may-issue states like Maryland from passing a law making the state no-issue and preventing ANYONE from carrying here? I wouldn't put it past our state legislators.

Apologies if this has already been answered within the thread - I didn't read through all 224 existing pages of the thread.

Actually, aren't police and politician's security details allowed to concealed carry? I'm assuming that those "individuals" count?

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    I predict if the bill makes it out of the Senate and out of committee the final version will only apply to a permits issued by the carry holders home state.

NR permits will be a thing of the past, otherwise the MSP licensing division and HPRB will be things of the past. There is a small group here that won't know what to do with themselves twice a month. :D

I don't think so. I can see it excluding using a NR permit from another state in your own state, but not in general.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think so. I can see it excluding using a NR permit from another state in your own state, but not in general.

Why? If my home state's permit is valid anywhere in the country, why would anyone need an NR permit. I guess folks could get a sash and wear them like Boy Scout merit badges.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Because other may issue states don't issue permits, like NY for example. Having a NR permit and not being a MD resident would allow carry in MD

Better than a complete ban on carry by others.

Many states honor both resident and NR permits from the same state, without distinction. I'm not sure a ban on NR permits helps if a state wants to recognize both.

I'm not one for predictions. I'll wait and see what happens next.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Snarky comments aside, NR permits may not go away.We have no way of knowing what the conference committee will come up with.

The HPRB or an another process will continue to function for MD applicants denied by MSP.

MD will never relinquish control over resident permits, no matter who else may be carrying here.

The antis position is no carry by any other state's' residents. NR or Resident doesn't seem to be the issue. Using another state's standards and requirements is the sticky wicket, not residency.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    OK right now with my Florida, Utah and New Hampshire NR permits I can carry in 36 States. If this passes is that still OK? or is it all down the drain?

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    Um, yes there is 922q contains the language for GFSZA. It would also eliminate the stupid BATFE opinion that you must have a license from the state the school is located in.

HR 38, then Title 18 922)q)

Ah, great. Thanks swinokur.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    OK right now with my Florida, Utah and New Hampshire NR permits I can carry in 36 States. If this passes is that still OK? or is it all down the drain?

Despite the prognostications of others here, no one knows what the final version will allow as far as NR permits go.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Originally Posted by swinokur
    Um, yes there is 922q contains the language for GFSZA. It would also eliminate the stupid BATFE opinion that you must have a license from the state the school is located in.

Ah, great. Thanks swinokur.

The Senate version has no such protections, so we don't know what the final version will look like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom