• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Hi,

I'm living in Rhode Island but I will be moving back to Maryland soon.

I've been in Rhode Island for 3 years but I am originally from Maryland. Since I have been in Rhode Island I have become a gun enthusiast.

All the guns I have purchased so far have been Maryland legal (ie an HBAR Windham AR-15).

Everyone has a few guns in their mind that they plan on getting in the future. Would it be to my advantage to prioritize those by buying the handguns (p320 and a CZ 75) in Rhode Island first rather than the long gun I really want (a 357 lever)?

I've been reading that the HQL in Maryland is really ridiculous. Or is it really not that big of a deal to get?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on ranges in the Baltimore County (Timonium area)? I am looking for a range that allows rifles and pistols but I don't do super far shooting yet (like 150 yards max)

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Greetings from Ceciltucky! :wave: Someone should be along real soon who can answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If there aren't mag capacity restrictions in RI, buy your handguns first. It will save you time and money if you want standard capacity mags that hold over 10 rounds in the future. These are legal to own/possess in MD, but they can not be bought/traded/permanently transferred within the state. If a handgun is purchased over the internet to ship to a MD FFL, some retailers hesitate with these sales if included mags are over 10 rds (although most will happily remove them before shipping, some won't ship at all).

It will be easy to buy your 357 lever gun after moving. The HQL takes time and money, so will be a nuisance if you want something and need to wait a month before getting your license. With your Windham AR, you will be able to skip the HQL training requirement after registering the AR with the state police. But you will need to get finger printed (typically $54) and put in $50 for the application.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    If there aren't mag capacity restrictions in RI, buy your handguns first. It will save you time and money if you want standard capacity mags that hold over 10 rounds in the future. These are legal to own/possess in MD, but they can not be bought/traded/permanently transferred within the state. If a handgun is purchased over the internet to ship to a MD FFL, some retailers hesitate with these sales if included mags are over 10 rds (although most will happily remove them before shipping, some won't ship at all).

It will be easy to buy your 357 lever gun after moving. The HQL takes time and money, so will be a nuisance if you want something and need to wait a month before getting your license. With your Windham AR, you will be able to skip the HQL training requirement after registering the AR with the state police. But you will need to get finger printed (typically $54) and put in $50 for the application.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not quite. Since it's an HBAR, it's just like any other long gun in Maryland, no registration required (yet.) (If it wasn't HBAR you couldn't even bring it in to the state, since you bought it after 2013.) But you will have 90 days to register all of your handguns, and after that you can then use a handgun to exempt you from the HQL training if you do decide to get one later.

I think you're overshooting the mark, on your trip back stop just short of the Mason Dixon line, keep your freedom, and commute to Timonium. Just my opinion.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• msi_welcome.jpg
      msi_welcome.jpg
      30.2 KB · Views: 240
    If you will be working in Timonium, I would have to agree with moving to PA, just over The mason Dixon Line- the distance isn't that far and you'll have a LOT more freedom.
    My only other bit of advice (if you choose MD) is buy all the handguns before moving to MD. That way you won't be pressing yourself to get an HQL ASAP.

One last thing- Geographically, Maryland kicks ass. Unfortunately, our political climate, notsomuch.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the advice guys! If 83N wasn't so bad traffic-wise during rush hour then I would live on the line in a heart beat (also my family lives in Lutherville-Timonium area). I see the how slow that traffic is and I always feel so bad for the people trying to get home.

I think what I'll end up doing is purchasing the handguns I want now and then get the lever gun when I move here. There will probably be more options in MD for lever guns anyway. In Rhode Island & Massachusetts they don't really have a big place because you can't use rifles for hunting--only shotguns.

But you will have 90 days to register all of your handguns, and after that you can then use a handgun to exempt you from the HQL training if you do decide to get one later.

Would you mind expanding on this? If I understand correctly, I could use my previously registered handgun from when I move here to MD to skip the training portion of the HQL? That would be awesome.

Rhode Island has a "Blue Card" test that everyone must take to buy a handgun, but it's nothing like the MD one--no prints and just a quick super easy multi choice test. And then its a 7 day wait for any gun handgun or long, for every purchase unless you have a CCW which they just started handing out again after a state Supreme Court case was won.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    And yes, one of the training exemptions for the HQL is already owning a "regulated firearm" which these days means a handgun. You just provide the serial # on the HQL form and proceed to pay all the other infringement fees.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Where will you be working? You mentioned Timonium, so I ran with that.
    Traffic doesn't get crazy until you hit I-695. The last few miles of SB I-83 (before I-695) isn't a cake walk, but not hell.

I'll be working from home but I assume if I switch jobs it would be south of the PA line in MD like Baltimore.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Are there actually any ranges in southern RI?

I'm not sure about southern RI specifically but there is an incredible amount of ranges compared to the size of the state. Usually these are membership ranges and they all have very decent pricing. Newport, RI definitely has a range though and so does Charlestown, RI.

The one I go to is in Tiverton and it has an newly renovated underground indoor range open 24/7 (which is common in RI), an outdoor range with rifle spots and pistol booths, a camping area, and hunting land. This costs like $180 a year.

I'm going to really miss the overall prices for being in the shooting hobby in Rhode Island. Our transfer fees are never over $35 and $20-25 is very common (doesn't matter if it is a handgun or long gun). The typical price for a yearly range membership is $150-180 a year and there's always a range within 15 minutes of you. Rarely do you have to pick between a pistol range and a rifle range (but there are some pistol-only clubs). There's also like 3-4 ranges that allow the general public to attend.

I really think I'm going to try to just find a piece of land in Maryland one day and set up a small range for myself.

Also, I really want to get into suppressed guns. And I mean, what's the point in having a suppressed gun if everyone around you isn't suppressed?

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    Where in charlestown? That's the southern RI I'm thinking of. I wonder if they would take out of state walkins. Although near impossible to legally go from MD to there with a gun with NJ, NY, CT along the route. I get so paranoid I check for brass before heading north.

provvv

Jan 29, 2017
    Baltimore County
    Where in charlestown? That's the southern RI I'm thinking of. I wonder if they would take out of state walkins. Although near impossible to legally go from MD to there with a gun with NJ, NY, CT along the route. I get so paranoid I check for brass before heading north.

Bradford Sportsmen's Club - I called them before I was a member of a club and they said you had to be a member to go, but you can try

The Preserve in Wyoming, RI (I don't know if they have a range--it might only be clays but I CANNOT over emphasize how insane this place is--its like a five star country club that sells guns too) Obviously, I have not been there haha

There's a public "police range" in Warwick which is north of South Rhode Island--and they're open seasonly.

Also, I know what you mean about traveling through those states. Usually, if I drive home I go through NYC, but when I move back I will definitely be finding an alternate way...I know there is one that bypasses the city, I just don't know which highway it is off the top of my head.

Lately, when I visit home I just fly because it is so cheap with Southwest. I'll have to see what the rules are for checking in multiple guns.
    I might be better off just doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom