• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County
    I am looking to acquire a pocket revolver. The revolver will be used for concealed carry and self defense. Posting this here to get some collective wisdom and experiences.

Criteria:
    1) Bobbed hammer-i.e. can fire in my jacket pocket
    2) 38 special or higher caliber
    3) Want a lightweight gun (Ruger LCR, S&W bodyguard or airweight)

I have concealable semi-autos, but I see a role for a small revolver. I do plan on renting/borrowing a few and shooting them before I purchase. However, there are a lot choices out there and was hoping to use this resource to narrow the field. Thanks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• M340PD_SW163061.large.jpg
      M340PD_SW163061.large.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 503

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Or, if you want a pocket rocket...

Attachments

• pocket-rocket-vibrator.jpg
      pocket-rocket-vibrator.jpg
      6.4 KB · Views: 497

python

Apr 15, 2010
    A 649 in 38 special is the ultimate pocket revolver. Forget it in 357 magnum if you want to hit anything. Stainless steel and heavier than many but in the right pocket holster a really good choice. The stainless is easy to maintain. I have an older dash two. It was the first one rated for +P ammo. Gives you the option to thumb the hammer. Never snags. A decent caliber without a huge muzzle flash.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I carried a 642 for years when I lived in AZ. I loved it... I lived in Flagstaff, so during the colder months I'd put it in a leather holster in the inside of my coat... poof! Gone... during warmer months, it went into a nylon Uncle Mikes IWB holster... again... poof! I sorely miss that little gun...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You won't want to shoot 357 with any regularity in a snubby, it's brutal, even 38+p hurt. Have a S&W 442 and it's a fine wheelgun, supremely accurate, and small/light while being controllable. The LCR is a smooth shooter, smoother lighter/longer pull compared to the S&W, and the slightly larger grip makes it easier to shoot.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    S&W 442 or 642. I own both. No preference. Both rock. My next choice would be Ruger .38+P LCR, which is also very nice.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You won't want to shoot 357 with any regularity in a snubby, it's brutal, even 38+p hurt.

Yep. I practice sometimes with .38 +P 158gr LSWCHP (old FBI load) out of my 442. Recoil is vicious. Every bone in my firing hand feels the sting. One or two cylinders of it is plenty for me.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    Yeah... a friend of mine had a S&W m19 with a 2.5 inch barrel. The recoil was very stout. In addition to the 125 gr bullet... the flame coming out of the barrel would put a serious hurt on someone too...

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I have owned a handful of J frames and still have a model 60 but recommend the LCR.
    I picked one up a few years back in .38 and love it. I changed the front sight to a green fiber optic and may change the grip away from the stock rubber but I'm not sold on that idea quite yet.
    Out of the box the trigger is way better than the Smith w/o any of the stacking felt in a J frame.
    Smith is a great gun but I think the Ruger is a better carry piece.

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I have a S&W air weight in 38 that I used to carry on my ankle and in a soft holster in my pocket. I really liked carrying it but now I carry my sig 290 semi auto since it's about the same size. I'd recommend it though. I still have mine in my safe cause I just like the gun. The recoil is pretty significant, which should be expected given the size and the caliber. I didn't have any issues with accuracy though as it sat in my hand pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom