• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Mauls are for teenagers - as I've grown older I've dedicated myself to working smarter not harder! Accordingly my tools of choice are a 22 ton gas-powered splitter and a machete. The splitter makes short work of just about everything including gum, and the machete takes care of separating the stringy bits and peeling off any rotted exterior.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    Mauls are for teenagers - as I've grown older I've dedicated myself to working smarter not harder! Accordingly my tools of choice are a 22 ton gas-powered splitter and a machete. The splitter makes short work of just about everything including gum, and the machete takes care of separating the stringy bits and peeling off any rotted exterior.

I hear ya, but I only burn maybe a cord of wood, maybe with this new house I may do more, will see after this season.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If I have to split something by hand, I use a 36" Fiskars splitting axe. It does alright, but it isn't my preferred tool for the job. With as much wood as I cut and split in a year, I use a 25 ton MTD splitter that my dad bought at Home Depot in 1995. The thing has easily seen 100 cards through it and I do the splitting for me, my dad, and sometimes friends. My neighbor was just diagnosed with lymphatic cancer and they don't have any firewood for the winter. Going to give him a truck load of wood tomorrow if I can get around to cutting it down to size for him.

The stuff unstacked is what I processed this spring for me, along with 4 of the racks in the background. About four 8 foot pickup truck beds of rounds. Maybe more now that I think about it.

I'm not too far from you. Just down 32 from Eldersburg. If you find wood that you want to process and don't mind sending some wood my way, I don't mind hauling the splitter to you and helping. Easier to split with two people on a hydraulic splitter anyway.

Attachments

• MdShooters18.JPG
      MdShooters18.JPG
      57.5 KB · Views: 175

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I use a sledge hammer and 2 or 3 wedges. Some woods have a more twisted grain than others. I will never try to split sycamore or pin oak again! I think fresh-cut or frozen wood splits the best.

This I split many as a child and teenager with my dad works way better than an axe or maul

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Home Depot probably rents splitters. I got one before that already had the hitch attached to hook up to the truck

Home Depot does rent splitters, but I think it is something like $100 a day. You can usually buy a 20 ton or 25 ton for $999 when they are on sale. If you are going to be doing firewood for any length of time it just isn't worth renting the splitter unless you are going to do 3 years worth of firewood in a day and that is an accomplishment in and of itself. I need a backhoe and FEL to do some work around the house and it will be cheaper to buy the the thing than rent it. Even if you do not need it long term, you can always sell it and still be ahead. Same goes for the tractor. Storage and single use might be the only reason not to purchase something versus renting it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I should have read all the way through. 1/4 to 1/2 cord per year can easily be done with a X27 36" Fiskars.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Gardening-a...Tools/X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-36#.UqaBZvRDspg

I bought mine on e-bay for around $60. I do have a sledge and wedge for the really stubborn pieces, but I rarely use that because of the hydraulic splitter. I mainly use the Fiskars to split up a couple of "seasoned" pieces so I can take internal moisture readings before deciding whether to burn the stack or not.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    When I was looking for a splitter, all of them always came with hitch for a 1-7/8" ball, I wanted a 2" to match other things. The Swisher 22 Ton came with a 2", one less thing to have to buy to fit on everything. The lawn mower, 4 wheeler all have 2" balls I put on them.

product_9133_500.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Thank you all for the great advice & tips! I just ordered a Fiskars X27 36" from Amazon. Can't wait to try it out.

Scratched onto a piece of slate and carried by specially trained prehistoric birds.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009
    Thank you all for the great advice & tips! I just ordered a Fiskars X27 36" from Amazon. Can't wait to try it out.

Scratched onto a piece of slate and carried by specially trained prehistoric birds.

You'll love it. I use mine on oak, maple, and hickory.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Actually, locust splits like a dream. Gum is nearly impossible without a power splitter.

I use a sledge plus wedges, a maul, and an axe. It all depends on what I'm splitting. If the axe can split it, I use the axe. If not, the maul. Then the sledge and wedges.

Wood splits easiest when green. But I never get to it then.

In 2011 I cut down my first gum tree. Not one, but two. Made the mistake of loading it into the truck in rounds and then splitting it at home. Even with a hydraulic splitter it was a PITA. Not only that, but it burns fast, has hardly any BTUs in it, and leaves a ton of ash. Only thing it is good for is getting a fire started quickly, but poplar gets the fire going fast and splits much, much, much easier. From now on, gum trees will remain laying where they fall, unless I am really hard up for firewood. Even then, might think about paying for firewood before dealing with that crap again.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I'm 55 and it is great exercise.

+1 Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice. Those who make no time for exercise now, must make time for sickness later. Because of this mindset, I think the "best" way is with a maul, axe and a couple wedges. Splitting fresh wood is easier than dried.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    +1 Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice. Those who make no time for exercise now, must make time for sickness later. Because of this mindset, I think the "best" way is with a maul, axe and a couple wedges. Splitting fresh wood is easier than dried.

If the option is between sitting on the sofa and chopping wood, I guess that would apply. Thing is, chopping wood is terrible exercise per hour compared to me going out and riding my bike. I stay in way better shape riding the bike than chopping wood based upon an hourly basis of activity.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I used to use a good single-bit axe, then sledge and wedges.

Now, since my back is (really) screwed up, and arthritis is getting into my fingers more and more, I don't split wood, any longer, unless it's just to show my youngest son how to do it.

I call the man with the big truck and tell him where to bring/dump it.

My brother-in-law hit himself in the leg with a maul, several years ago, on Christmas Day.
    He almost took his own leg off. Doctors were talking about amputating below the knee.

He was very lucky to keep his leg!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I used to use a good single-bit axe, then sledge and wedges.

Now, since my back is (really) screwed up, and arthritis is getting into my fingers more and more, I don't split wood, any longer, unless it's just to show my youngest son how to do it.

I call the man with the big truck and tell him where to bring/dump it.

My brother-in-law hit himself in the leg with a maul, several years ago, on Christmas Day.
    He almost took his own leg off. Doctors were talking about amputating below the knee.

He was very lucky to keep his leg!!!

And people have accidentally shot themselves, burned down their houses installing wood stoves, sawed off appendages with chainsaws, cut off fingers using table saws and circular saws, shot nails into themselves and others while using pneumatic nail guns, burned themselves while using torches and welders, etc. The list can get pretty long.

Treat EVERY tool with the utmost respect it deserves and know your limitations. Never used a chainsaw before? Don't start with the largest one on the shelf. Don't split wood until you are physically or mentally fatigued. Do not do dangerous work when you are physically or mentally fatigued.

During a day's time processing firewood, I usually start with the chainsaw, then use the splitter, then stack. Hard to kill yourself while throwing split firewood around, even though I am sure it can be done somehow.

new_shooter

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2010
    +1 on the suggestion of throwing a teenager at the wood.

Lacking that, I use a splitting maul. And I keep a wedge and a one handed sledge hammer nearby for those pesky knotted up suckers.

I don't split much, but its mostly storm fall oak from my backyard. That seems to split better when aged and dry. Its worst when its gotten soaking wet then frozen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom