• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    I am in the market for a 9mm. I put my hands on a few the other day and have it narrowed down to 3. First let me say I am sort of a glock fan and kinda had my heart set on a 19 even though I had never held one.

So first on the list is the Glock 19. It fit nicely in my hand and the price was right. Its a glock not much more to say about it.

Second is Sig M11. Again it fit nicely in my hand probably felt a little better than the 19. Only thing I did not like about it was the weight. I understand that it is all steel but damn I would need 3 belts to CC it.

My 3rd option is HK P30. I have never held and HK or really paid attention to them until now. This thing out of the box felt like it was personally molded for my hand. I could not get over the fit of this gun. This is #1 on my list my only concern is availability of parts and the cost of replacements.

My order of preference right now is HK, Glock, and Sig. Can I justify the price of the HK? Should I really consider something other than a Glock? All of these come with threaded barrels and I will get a suppressor for it. I currently do not own a 9mm.

Can you all help me make my decision?

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    You're going to get a lot of opinions here. The Glock boys will tell you, "Glock". The same for HK and Sig. Your best bet, go shoot'em if you can.

Case in point: I thought I wanted a Glock 19 'til I shot one... I no longer have that desire. But, that's just me.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    You're going to get a lot of opinions here. The Glock boys will tell you, "Glock". The same for HK and Sig. Your best bet, go shoot'em if you can.

Case in point: I thought I wanted a Glock 19 'til I shot one... I no longer have that desire. But, that's just me.

This right here! :thumbsup:

You test drive a car you're considering. Test drive your possibilities here also.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I am in the market for a 9mm. I put my hands on a few the other day and have it narrowed down to 3. First let me say I am sort of a glock fan and kinda had my heart set on a 19 even though I had never held one.

So first on the list is the Glock 19. It fit nicely in my hand and the price was right. Its a glock not much more to say about it.

Second is Sig M11. Again it fit nicely in my hand probably felt a little better than the 19. Only thing I did not like about it was the weight. I understand that it is all steel but damn I would need 3 belts to CC it.

My 3rd option is HK P30. I have never held and HK or really paid attention to them until now. This thing out of the box felt like it was personally molded for my hand. I could not get over the fit of this gun. This is #1 on my list my only concern is availability of parts and the cost of replacements.

My order of preference right now is HK, Glock, and Sig. Can I justify the price of the HK? Should I really consider something other than a Glock? All of these come with threaded barrels and I will get a suppressor for it. I currently do not own a 9mm.

Can you all help me make my decision?

I would try the Sig SP2022. Slightly lighter due to the polymer frame.

Of course my default recommendation would be a Walther PPQ.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have a Sig M11-A1 so I'm biased. Never shot a Glock or an HK. I will say that if it feels like it fits your hand perfectly, chances are you'll probably shoot it well. I went with an M&P over a Glock because I can't stand the friggin grip angle on a Glock. It's possible I may shoot one ok and I'd like to try, but if a gun isn't completely comfortable in your hand why bother?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jking22sf

Dec 12, 2012
    Somewhere in Maryland
    personally I love my glocks. I carry a 17 every day at work and either a 19 or 26 off duty. I carried a sig 229 which is similar to an m11 for most of my time in AFG and actually didn't like it very much. It fit my hand well and i liked the single action trigger but it was very heavy compared to a glock. And for combat or self defense I prefer a striker fired weapon over DA/SA anyway. I like everything consistent and don't want to have to think about it. I also prefer the lower bore axis of the glock for more accurate rapid firing. now I do love HKs and have an hk45, hk45ct, and hk 45uspt. they are great and sexy guns and actually shot my friends p30 as well. The p30 felt awesome in my hand but hated the LEM trigger. You might want to look at a HK vp9 as well. similar to the p30 but with a striker fired trigger. All great guns but but I would take my glocks for a self defense situation any day

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    I've shot the HK and multiple Glocks. Both are quality. The HK you'll pay ... A lot more lol. I liked the Glock personally. I'd go for what is most useful for you, not what's most expensive. HK is a hell of a gun, but unless money is of no concern - I'd say go with the Glock.

racerbob66

Nov 19, 2009
    North East, MD
    I recommend renting as many guns as you can before deciding on a purchase. I really wanted an XD45 when they came out. I rented an XD45, HK45 and Glock 21.

I bought the HK45 because it felt best in my hand, had the least recoil and shot like a laser. The Glock was a close second. The XD, which I really wanted, had excessive muzzle flip. It wasn't for me.

I followed up with a P30, it was more comfortable in my hands and I shot it better than the Glock 17.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    Yep shoot each one.

It sounds like the most important thing is to decide what this pistol is for. You mention wanting to be able to CC it without it pulling down your pants right?

If you want a carry gun the G19 is the easy answer here, and is why I bought one, for that purpose.

If you have no plans of carrying this 9mm, I would toss the G19 out of the equation entirely and focus on the Sig and HK.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For carry purposes I would go with Glock.

If it's just for HD/range time I would go with HK.

If you want the one that just feels like it is made the best, go with the Sig.

I'll second or third trying them all out but not sure which range in the area rents the HK.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD

I have a friend who owns the P30 and he absolutely LOVES it. I don't think I've ever shot it and if I have I don't remember. I've also shot a glock, the 22 I believe which ever one is the equivalent of the 19 in .40, and I hated it. Too flippy for me. Could have been the bigger caliber but I ended up getting the M&P 40 which has a little more weight to it and I love it. I have also shot a Sig 226, granted not the m11 but from what I can tell they will all be very similar.

Based on my very limited experience if I have to pick one of the three and money was no object, I would pick the HK.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guns. They are all top of the line gun manufacturers. But from everything ive been reading, you may want to throw the PPQ on your list. Ive never had the chance to shoot one, but I hear its very much like a g19 with a better trigger and grip.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of those guns. They are all top of the line gun manufacturers. But from everything ive been reading, you may want to throw the PPQ on your list. Ive never had the chance to shoot one, but I hear its very much like a g19 with a better trigger and grip.

Agree 100% add the PPQ to the list to rent, or at least hold one.

Both the grip and trigger on the PPQ blow the Glock away in my opinion.

bigalf

Apr 1, 2012
    Fort Meade
    Glock as you said is a glock. What they do they do well. Hard to go wrong but that doesn't necessarily make it right. I have an HD P30L and a few Glocks and I'll say this, HK is the most comfortable gum I have ever handled. the back strap and side panels are interchangeable so you can almost mold it to your hand. There are plenty of parts available for them. The President series is pretty new so they'll be manufacturing parts for a long time. Plenty of guys run them suppressed. HK gets my vote even if it means saving up for another month.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was like you, but my caliber was 45acp. So I bought all three. A Glock 21, A Sig P220 and an HK45. I have since sold the HK. Both firearms serve their purpose. I couldn't decide between the 2. So, here I am with 2 nice 45acp firearms.

So, I guess, what I'm saying, is to get your hands on them, fire them as often as you can BEFORE you make your decision. It would have saved me a few dollars in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom