• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    If it chambers, fits in the magazine, and feeds I wouldn't worry about it. The 1.140 is listed for the 124 flat nose so the RN bullet may be seated close/exactly to the correct flat nose depth even though it's measuring 1.180. I don't see any reference to a 124 RN in the Hornady book but if you knew the length of the flat nose you could calculate it against the length of your RN.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If it chambers, fits in the magazine, and feeds I wouldn't worry about it. The 1.140 is listed for the 124 flat nose so the RN bullet may be seated close/exactly to the correct flat nose depth even though it's measuring 1.180.

That's kind of what I figured but I figure there are more seasoned reloaders than me here and like I said before the only dumb question is the one not asked.:) thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    That's kind of what I figured but I figure there are more seasoned reloaders than me here and like I said before the only dumb question is the one not asked.:) thanks for the input.:thumbsup:

The RN is closer to the lands though but I don't know what effect that could have on the pressure. Touching I think yes, but .020? :shrug:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Anyone trying RN 357sig has never loaded 357sig before. I've said befor and I'll say again, FN or HP or deal with he pain

I've just this evening loaded some 124 RN's over some Universal, a few different loadings, seated them @ 1.185. They feed fine in my Glock 20 with the Lone Wolf barrel. Range report in a week or so.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Anyone trying RN 357sig has never loaded 357sig before. I've said befor and I'll say again, FN or HP or deal with he pain
    115 FMJs work just fine. ;) Glock 20 with a conversion barrel.

20140124_203152-1.jpg

Compared to 9x19

9in357.jpg

Last edited:

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Ok so my stuff arrived today and I've semi set up everything, but I need to ask the brain trust a question about COAL. I've got some FMJRN 124 grain basically 9mm bullets that I'd like to shoot in this also and from all I've been reading the max COAL should be 1.14, I seated one of these at that length and its teetering on the ogive for that bullet. I seated one at 1.18 and it passes the plunk test in the Lone Wolf barrel, I actually could get away with 1.20 but that's right against the lands. Question is does anybody think I'll have any trouble pressure or other wise loading these out to the 1.18 length? I've got flat points inbound for this so I'm just wanting to have something to blast until the others arrive.
    Below is what I've got 1.14 and 1.18 respectively.

You can go much longer than that. In fact, I've loaded 115 FMJs to 1.28" OAL, and they feed out of the mags (Glock 20 with LW barrel) and pass the plunk test. This gives you more room for powder by the way. :party29: I think 357 SIG loaded long is a better option than 9x25 Dillon and will do most of what it does with common brass and dies, and arguably a stronger case. Problem is now that there isn't real load data with measured pressures. At most you'll find "I did this and my gun didn't blow up".

Anyways, IMO the best part of a 10mm converted to 357 SIG is that you can load long and use regular old 9mm bullets. The 90 gr HP bullets are fun too.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've just this evening loaded some 124 RN's over some Universal, a few different loadings, seated them @ 1.185. They feed fine in my Glock 20 with the Lone Wolf barrel. Range report in a week or so.

Ran 50 of the 124's out of the G20 with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel today, I had a couple FTF's but I think that was from having a #20 aftermarket recoil spring in it. When I changed back to the factory #17'er I had no more FTF's. The switch was made around the 20 round mark.
    Picture showing a 1.14 and a 1.185 seated 124, all I fired were seated to 1.185 over various charges of Universal 5.2-6.2 grain loads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      41.6 KB · Views: 57

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    Ran 50 of the 124's out of the G20 with the Lone Wolf conversion barrel today, I had a couple FTF's but I think that was from having a #20 aftermarket recoil spring in it. When I changed back to the factory #17'er I had no more FTF's. The switch was made around the 20 round mark.
    Picture showing a 1.14 and a 1.185 seated 124, all I fired were seated to 1.185 over various mystery charges of Universal 5.2-6.2 grain loads.

Was that an accurate correction? :lol:

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I can relate. I use empty factory ammo boxes and just mark the first case in the row with a sharpie. Haven't had a catastrophe yet but I'm always thinking about it. :ohnoes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Say, What is the concern with lubing the case?

If you don't lube, you can stick a case in the die.

If you do lube, you have to remove the lube. I just tumble the loaded rounds in corn cob for about 15 - 20 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom