• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    I tried to post this on another thread but no one looked at it so I apologize for starting another one.

I have a question gang. After testifying and hearing MSPs position and the testimony of Norton and seeing Frank Conway's permit app, I was think about if I have a G&S reason to apply. I am a firefighter/paramedic. I have treated a lot of people in police custody, I have been assaulted, threatened and I have even testified against people I have treated. None of the assaults we documented in a police report. But some were documented in my reports. My fear is this. We just went to a new reporting system where my FULL NAME appears on the report. Prior to this it was just a number. If someone I treat wasnt happy with me or has an issue with me and the police, all they need to do is request their medical records and it will be very easy to find where I live and where I work. I leave very early in the morning and you never know if someone is lying in wait.

I'm asking if people familiar with the process and/or LEOs out there for some input. Would I just be making a dontation to MSP? I also don't want to jeapordize my chances with other CCWs like UT and FL. i was thinking that since we have MSP on record that they cannot define G&S, it may help. Thoughts?

Walter

May 23, 2010
    It sounds like you have credible threats, but like you asked..since it's not actual police reports, is the documentation you have going to be acceptable to the MSP? Under these circumstances, I'd seek legal advise to see if getting a permit is truly viable. And if you get denied, how will it affect you getting other states' permits? Shoot Rusty Shackleford a PM - he's one of the resident lawyers on here and MD CCW permits are one of his areas of expertise.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    Unless you are "connected" politically or have credible evidence of assaults or threats it will be difficult but not impossible. Try it and see what happens.

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I know a few drug counselors who have the sacred permit. Years of dealing with threats from junkies will probably help. I'd say go for it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Now is still a tenuous time to apply in MD without documented police reports. I feel it's a tragedy that any law abiding citizen should have to face such a dilemma, especially in a State who's motto is 'Free State'. Only criminals feel free to carry. Most all of these gun laws are specifically designed to dissuade you from wanting to even bother to buy a gun. Tell me a mass murder, facing multiple death sentences is deterred by a possible additional 5 year sentence for unlawfully possessing a firearm? But the tax paying citizen is, because they could lose their job, and likely all their firearms for life, for doing something that is legal in 41 States today.

I suggest you find an attorney first and do your application with the intent of following up if you are denied. I hate litigation, but it seems the best course for now. Our sorry lawmakers (some) who got us into this quandary love it because many of them make money defending cases that are unnecessarily created and complicated by bad laws.

I wouldn't worry about being denied in other states, they understand 'The Free State' has become a running joke. Utah for example has a law that says you must already have a permit in your home state if they offer one. Maryland does technically, and maybe 2% pass the unpublished guidelines MDSP arbitrially and capriciously do issue. Many with made up restrictions. And if you do get a permit it's only good for 2 years, then you reapply, if reapproved, it has to be renewed every 3 thereafter. Utah waives their law for Maryland residents by exception, because they know how bad our laws are; and they make money from the out of state applications.

Sad isn't it?

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    You would still have a very hard time without connections. They will say that you decided to put yourself in said situations that lead you to having to testify. (Yes, one person who was a community activist who applied was told he should stop ratting out people and move, after some leaking of the comments he finally got one after the fact due to..... political influence on his behalf)
    Applying and wasting/donating your app fee to the bank of o-money shouldnt hurt your in other permits as those you listed are aware you really cant get a permit in MD. A denial of permit due to something (you were convicted/accused of) on your record would though.
    Bonus is for the past few years more bills keep coming up in favor of MSI, so in about 2-100 years it may actually happen

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    Waste of time, Your no different than the rest of us Medic/FF in this commie state.....

Dklo

Dec 20, 2011
    Sorry to say you have NO chance. Take it from a former MSP of 7 years who can't get one here. :mad54:

The law must change first.

Seriously? That is incredibly ****ed up!! you of all people should be able to get one in this state.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    not to mention if you are denied what it might mean for future applications anywhere.

IMO I would not even bother.

My .02

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since post #6 specifically adressed Utah. The recent change in Utah regs only applies to residents of state that have a formal reciprosity agreement w/ Utah. Md has no reciprosity with nobody.

However that situation does apply to nonres PA permits.

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    Hey minuteman, what is the best place/source/link/thread to follow the PA Constitutional Carry journey and get the up to the minute breaking news?

Until I saw your comment I was unaware it was on the table, and I'm an NRA and SAF member.

Dan-o

fly in the wall
    Dec 6, 2009
    Hagerstown
    What about the angle that as a Paramedic (me too) we have access to controlled substance and are required by some jurisdiction to be at all times in posession of our drug keys... that makes us a target for junkies, couple that with my living in a high crime area?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Dan-o said:
    What about the angle that as a Paramedic (me too) we have access to controlled substance and are required by some jurisdiction to be at all times in posession of our drug keys... that makes us a target for junkies, couple that with my living in a high crime area?

How do you prove threats from unidentified junkies? I thought the key reason was because the Ambo becomes a target for the junkies while EMT's are distracted with patients.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Hey minuteman, what is the best place/source/link/thread to follow the PA Constitutional Carry journey and get the up to the minute breaking news?

http://search.pafoa.org/?q=Constitutional+Carry&cx=007881557900955372104:vrvbtifxywe

http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-10/164109-constitutional-carry-pa-rep-saccone.html

While you're visiting the PAFOA site, wander over to

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-open-carry-121/

There are hours of fascinating reading there.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    How do you prove threats from unidentified junkies? I thought the key reason was because the Ambo becomes a target for the junkies while EMT's are distracted with patients.

I got mine on the narcotics angle. I'm and MD, and they had no problems giving me one. Interesting a PA on the board went with the same angle, and was denied. Who knows. Maybe I'll get denied this time around......

drwalther

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Berlin
    that is interesting to me, since I have access to many a controlled substance and it wasn't even motive for pause in denying that it is "good and substantial" reason.

Besides, I don't know that I'd feel like a limited permit is a great victory, personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom