• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If I have a "go to", it's probably this...
    f3d1e0bab73e92f6ea20d45c877398fa.jpg

That is one of my go to seasonings I mentioned in post #1. Try Everglades Heat sometime. Same flavor, but with a kick.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    my bean cooking seasoning:

Bay leaf
    salt
    pepper
    chili powder
    cumin
    small amount of oregano

The following is usually fresh but can be dried seasoning:
    garlic
    onion

Some sort of pork e.g. the bone from a ham; fat back from a roast; bacon, split feet or tails etc...

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    If you want a catalogue just ask. I have been using Penzey's for years. The quality can't be beat. You pay for quality and it's well worth it.
    https://www.penzeys.com/shop/spices/

Yeah I was a third generation Penzeys customer. Key word being was. That guy is a liberal nutjob, china apologist and rabid hater of all things American. He emails every day and includes dem propaganda in the orders this year. The Penzeys email ads are essentially liberal campaign ads. Sad because it tied my cooking to my now long gone grandfather and honestly their products are great, but they're dead to me.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The stuff I use the most (I have random other spices lying around, but I could do without them in a long-term situation):
    Kosher salt (the big grain kind)
    Black pepper (coarse ground)
    Mustard powder
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
    Chili powder
    Paprika powder
    Coriander powder
    White sugar
    Brown sugar
    Onion soup mix
    Pickling spice mix

I bulk-buy basically all of these spices whenever possible - minimum of a pound, sometimes more. Trying to buy them any other way is like paying for powdered gold. One other thing I really make a lot of use of are those heavy-walled air-sealed plastic containers, which I use for storing large batches of my own spice mixes (mostly pastrami and beef rub, but sometimes other stuff), or for transferring spices out of non-air-tight containers.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I buy the big spice containers from Sam's Club and then transfer the contents to a mason jar and vacuum seal jar with an oxygen absorber inside.

For salt, I bought 4 25 pound bags of non-iodized table salt for $4.50 a bag at Sam's. Two bags (50 pounds of salt) fill a 5 gallon bucket near the top. Salt never goes bad so you don't need to use mylar or oxygen absorbers or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom