Destroyed regulated firearm - unRegistration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Dang. What kind of ammo were you using?

I don't have my log handy to tell you the exact round count (I am guessing approximately 3,000), but it was all factory loaded, SAAMI spec ammo. No Buffalo Bore or anything Ruger tells us not to use. The Al frame cracked along the left side rail. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• LCP rail crack.JPG
      LCP rail crack.JPG
      57.7 KB · Views: 221

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I don't have my log handy to tell you the exact round count (I am guessing approximately 3,000), but it was all factory loaded, SAAMI spec ammo. No Buffalo Bore or anything Ruger tells us not to use. The Al frame cracked along the left side rail. Here's a pic:

Well there's the problem... Someone cut it with an Exacto-Knife. :shrug:

Seriously though...

If Glock can remake a pistol and use the old SN but simply add a letter to it... I see nothing stopping Ruger from doing the same thing with your rifle.

Of course... that is simply using logic and we ALL know that is frowned upon in the Gulag of Marylandistan.

Offhand... I'd say that appears to be a defect in material which took a few years to show itself.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    The only safe thing to do with the dead carcass would be to make a wind chime out of it and hang it on your front porch. Just make sure the serial # is clearly visible. That way when Maryland finally passes their confiscation law and sends the state police to bust open your door at 2 AM looking for the gun, all you have to say is "turn around"

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They never "unregister" pistols.

Many of us already own handguns which are "registered" to several people. If you've ever sold a handgun which you bought on a Maryland Form 77r, then it's still "registered" to you.

The gun is not registered. The Form 77r is what's "registered."

You really really really really don't have to worry about this. Just wait for a "buy back" and get your $100.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    Unless you voluntarily registered it, technically there is no registration in the verbage. I assume the "list" just shows transfers.

Since you can't untransfer it at the specific date you did it, it's always going to be there.

You could always sell the destroyed item to a person living in a free state? Seems like a waste of FFL fees and maybe shipping, but you'd have "proof".

I've asked to have mine un-registered since I'm no longer a subject, but all of my post-'96 handguns are still on the list.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Unless you voluntarily registered it, technically there is no registration in the verbage. I assume the "list" just shows transfers.

Since you can't untransfer it at the specific date you did it, it's always going to be there.

If it was purchased in MD on a Form 77, it was voluntarily registered.

You have no choice but to voluntarily register when you purchase in MD.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    If it was purchased in MD on a Form 77, it was voluntarily registered.

You have no choice but to voluntarily register when you purchase in MD.

Semantics? I never checked the "voluntarily register" box when I filled out those pink forms. Maybe the FFL did?

Who cares?

Date of transfer, registration, they're all the same thing.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Well there's the problem... Someone cut it with an Exacto-Knife. :shrug:

Seriously though...

If Glock can remake a pistol and use the old SN but simply add a letter to it... I see nothing stopping Ruger from doing the same thing with your rifle.

Of course... that is simply using logic and we ALL know that is frowned upon in the Gulag of Marylandistan.

Offhand... I'd say that appears to be a defect in material which took a few years to show itself.
    Well, Ruger CS told me they cannot, even after I explained the whole HQL and transfer paperwork thing. IIRC, they kicked me a few bucks to salve the wound,

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah

Is that a LC9?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Semantics? I never checked the "voluntarily register" box when I filled out those pink forms. Maybe the FFL did?

Who cares?

Date of transfer, registration, they're all the same thing.

No box to check. Fine print states that executing the Form 77 "voluntarily" registers the firearm.

So if you don't want to "voluntarily" register it, you cannot buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom