• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Should we even be talking about it? What happens down the road if the SN is run, and its not HBAR configuration?:innocent0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This reminds me of the mythical "transfer PS90 as pistol" scheme, which is eventually going to result in someone landing in a large amount of trouble. It does not have an HBAR by any definition of the term.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    This reminds me of the mythical "transfer PS90 as pistol" scheme, which is eventually going to result in someone landing in a large amount of trouble. It does not have an HBAR by any definition of the term.

This was not done to me or by me. A coworker knowing I am a gun nut told me he bought a lower and walked out with it. Told him not possible. This was his story. The guy is a good guy and I dont want to see him in hot water.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not legal. How so?

Here is your original post title:
    Lower transferred as HBAR rifle.

#1 - An AR Lower is not an HBAR, ever. It's an OTHER. If purchased from a MD FFL, it has a 7 day wait, and the MSP red tape.

#2 - If the Lower was purchased as a complete AR, or as a Lower AFTER 10/2013, it can't have anything but an HBAR on it. Not legal in MD. If an HBAR or Lower was purchased before 10/2013, then it CAN have a NON HBAR Upper installed.

#3 - If it was purchased as an HBAR is can never be a pistol.

#4 Your co worker is an idiot if he thinks he can't get caught. The MSP has busted people from non HBAR possessions. They often get them on traffic stops.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the HBAR was purchased as a complete rifle before 10-1-13, putting a non HBAR upper on it now would be illegal, as you are making a banned firearm.

It would be easy to trace the firearm through a trace.

A really bad and illegal idea IMO

IANAL

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but sounds like

1) Co worker is not giving you the entire story that is needed to render a proper opinion on the legality of the transfer
    2) Someone did something not properly legal in the transfer

Was the lower a stripped lower? or maybe the lower was assembled and all just part of an HBAR rifle sold on a 4473 only?
    Did he buy an 80% from someone?
    Did he buy from a gun shop?

If the HBAR was purchased as a complete rifle before 10-1-13, putting a non HBAR upper on it now would be illegal, as you are making a banned firearm.

If it was purchased as a complete HBAR rifle on a 4473 only, I don't think it matters the time and date when originally purchased, you just can't make it anything but hbar. I think some have argued if you purchased it out of state prior to 10/1/13 and it was an HBAR, then registered it after moving to MD, you may be good but don't recall if anyone tested that one circumstance.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unless it was a pre ban legal configuration, then legal before 10-1-13, making it into one now is a really bad idea IMO.

If it was a pre ban stripped lower, sold as an O, making it now would be legal. Otherwise not. Transferred as a L with an HBAR on it, really bad idea to put anything besides an HBAR on it now

If it was sold as an HBAR, I wouldn't put anything but an HBAR upper on it. Sold as an HBAR, it was unregulated. Making it into a now banned regulated configuration is really a bad idea

IANAL.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    Here is your original post title:

#1 - An AR Lower is not an HBAR, ever. It's an OTHER. If purchased from a MD FFL, it has a 7 day wait, and the MSP red tape.

#2 - If the Lower was purchased as a complete AR, or as a Lower AFTER 10/2013, it can't have anything but an HBAR on it. Not legal in MD. If an HBAR or Lower was purchased before 10/2013, then it CAN have a NON HBAR Upper installed.

#3 - If it was purchased as an HBAR is can never be a pistol.

#4 Your co worker is an idiot if he thinks he can't get caught. The MSP has busted people from non HBAR possessions. They often get them on traffic stops.

He says the FFL just did it this way, without asking. The buyer was unsure of the law and relied on the FFL to do it correctly.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    He says the FFL just did it this way, without asking. The buyer was unsure of the law and relied on the FFL to do it correctly.

If that was the case I'd find the pertinent part of the law and take it to the FFL and try to work it out with them. If they refuse, MSP should be able to sort it out. People aren't perfect and make mistakes.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    If that was the case I'd find the pertinent part of the law and take it to the FFL and try to work it out with them. If they refuse, MSP should be able to sort it out. People aren't perfect and make mistakes.

To call a stripped lower a complete rifle is a little more than a mistake. Paperwork is done. Buyer has lower. He called FFL and was told "it was done as an HBAR". Cash and carry. Now what?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    He called FFL and was told "it was done as an HBAR". Cash and carry. Now what?
    There would have been no 77R. if the MSP runs the serial number and it doesn't appear in the system, yet it has a non HBAR upper on it, someone got some 'splainin' to do.

ELEMENT94

Wild eyed pistol waver.
    Sep 23, 2007
    someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but sounds like

1) Co worker is not giving you the entire story that is needed to render a proper opinion on the legality of the transfer
    2) Someone did something not properly legal in the transfer

Was the lower a stripped lower? or maybe the lower was assembled and all just part of an HBAR rifle sold on a 4473 only?
    Did he buy an 80% from someone?
    Did he buy from a gun shop?

If it was purchased as a complete HBAR rifle on a 4473 only, I don't think it matters the time and date when originally purchased, you just can't make it anything but hbar. I think some have argued if you purchased it out of state prior to 10/1/13 and it was an HBAR, then registered it after moving to MD, you may be good but don't recall if anyone tested that one circumstance.

This is a stripped lower 100% machined, ONLY. No other parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom