• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The 4 3/4" barreled guns do balance better than longer barrel versions so, I think you will not regret buying this one. Hopefully it will shoot to point of aim as a lot of single actions do not. I'm interested in these myself and unless I find a really, really good deal on a Colt SAA, one of these is on my short list once I finally do the HQL.
    ( Yeah, I'm still holding out because it pisses me off to have to pay a fee and undergo a background check so that I have permission to pay a fee and undergo a background check in order to exercise a Constitutional right! Have not added a handgun to my collection since that nonsense was passed!)

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Very nice. If you're new to Colt-style SAAs, a couple of things to know. First, learn how to work the hammer to prevent cylinder ring (never close the hammer from half-cock). Second, there's no transfer bar, meaning the hammer sits on on a primer if all chambers are loaded.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    The 4 3/4" barreled guns do balance better than longer barrel versions so, I think you will not regret buying this one. Hopefully it will shoot to point of aim as a lot of single actions do not.

Often the front sights are intentionally left tall from the factory. This allows the user to file down the sight to get it shooting to the individual shooter's point of aim.

Very nice. If you're new to Colt-style SAAs, a couple of things to know. First, learn how to work the hammer to prevent cylinder ring (never close the hammer from half-cock). Second, there's no transfer bar, meaning the hammer sits on on a primer if all chambers are loaded.

Good point!! The drill, when you're loading rounds through the gate, is "Load one, skip one...load 4 more...then lower the hammer." That will bring the hammer down on the empty chamber.

JoeR

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Nice, I love a western style firearm, there a different feel to shooting one then a modern firearm, watch someone at the range, they slow down and enjoy experience putting 5-6 rounds in a target, You see someone with a semi shoot 15 rounds off in the same time or faster then that wheel gun I never see the same enjoyment.

Enjoy your next trip to range. :thumbsup:

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Good idea, I need to look more at what Freedom Arms makes in 50's. I think they do the 50AE also. I love their stuff and already have a DE.

500 Wyoming Express!

Then there also the 50s from the custom makers....

500 Linebaugh
    500 Linebaugh Long
    50 Special
    500 S&W
    500 JRH
    50 AE

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Often the front sights are intentionally left tall from the factory. This allows the user to file down the sight to get it shooting to the individual shooter's point of aim.

Good point!! The drill, when you're loading rounds through the gate, is "Load one, skip one...load 4 more...then lower the hammer." That will bring the hammer down on the empty chamber.

JoeR

Yes, the front sight is usually left a little tall to allow for tuning elevation however, point of impact, left or right of point of aim can be an issue.
    You are spot on with the with the loading drill! Since I have several old model single actions, I prefer to use this method, even when loading newer single actions with the transfer bar.:thumbsup:

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    What a nice gun. Ive always like the old west cowboy side arm. I hope to get one myself one day.

Enjoy shooting it. Let us know how it does on the line.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

Some SAAs have a transfer bar. I just picked up a Heritage Manufacturing Rough Rider and they have a transfer bar safely. http://www.heritagemfg.com/product_detail.cfm?prod_id=36

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sorry, if it has a transfer bar, it is NOT an SAA .

Plenty of fine Single Action revolvers do have a transfer bar, but SAA refers to a specific design, not all SA revolvers generically.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I guess I screwed up.

For my 40th, my wife gave me a Colt Custom Shop tuned Python in .357.

Should I give it back?

2:
    Lol, made me look when they discontinued production. Nickel, blued, stainless, or bright stainless? (I'd be happy with any in good condition overall)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lol, made me look when they discontinued production. Nickel, blued, stainless, or bright stainless? (I'd be happy with any in good condition overall)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6" Blued.

A REAL Colt, should be Blued.

And my 4" is also blued.

TheRealJimDavis

Jan 28, 2013
    The Burnie
    I picked up the same gun last year and love it so much I want another to try and shoot a cowboy match. Mine is dead zero with cowboy loads, so much so that I wonder if Taylor filed the sights...? They're sooooo smooth and the trigger is top notch. Never wanted a clone over the Colt till I felt that action job..., then it went home with me immediately, and for half the cost.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I picked up the same gun last year and love it so much I want another to try and shoot a cowboy match. Mine is dead zero with cowboy loads, so much so that I wonder if Taylor filed the sights...? They're sooooo smooth and the trigger is top notch. Never wanted a clone over the Colt till I felt that action job..., then it went home with me immediately, and for half the cost.

We start in March at AAF&G.

dementlr

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Mary's County
    Great revolver. I have the same one and also had Taylor's fit it with a .45 ACP cylinder for cheaper plinking. I have a few SA Ruger's but prefer the traditional Colt style action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom