• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    How does Hogans transparency (or lack thereof) earn him an A- ??? He doesn't reply to people and everything is second hand information with him and his 2a position. Yet Lollar, who is very pro 2a get's a D. I think the NRA needs to get their "stuff" together a little better. :tdown:

Concur wholeheartedly. Looks like NRA not Lollar screwed up. :mad54:

District 18 supports Charles Lollar. :party29:

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    A grade of D+ means that the NRA did receive his questionaire and they weren't happy with his answers. I have read his website. Go to his issues page and look for where he is advocating for a gun registry. I'm thinking this may be part of the problem but I do not know.

I do know a blogger said if the campaign would provide the survey, they would publish it. Interestingly, the offer has not been taken up.

The NRA did NOT screw this up.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    A grade of D+ means that the NRA did receive his questionaire and they weren't happy with his answers. I have read his website. Go to his issues page and look for where he is advocating for a gun registry. I'm thinking this may be part of the problem but I do not know.

I do know a blogger said if the campaign would provide the survey, they would publish it. Interestingly, the offer has not been taken up.

Perhaps all of the above but we deserve an explanation on how the grade was derived nonetheless. Perhaps I'm just partial to a brother U.S Marine that is pro business and has trained his family with AR15's. I believe he is speaking with moderation as one must do to get anywhere in politics in MD but also believe if in office Maryland would become a "shall issue" state and shooting, transporting and owning AR platform firearms would be without infringement.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

Did the NRA change their criteria? Last time he got a "A" rating . Not sure how he could of dropped that much unless the Establishment had a hand it.

is that the blogger that goes out of his way to bad mouth Lollar?

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    Did the NRA change their criteria? Last time he got a "A" rating . Not sure how he could of dropped that much unless the Establishment had a hand it.

Each candidate must fill out a survey/questionnaire with each new campaign. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that the person who wrote the mess on his website about wanting a registry, filled out the survey. If thats a staffer, they need to be fired.

Additionally, if you were listening to last weeks show when the NRA was on to discuss the Senate and Delegate grades, they welcome candidates to re-submit the surveys for further consideration and an edit of their grade.

However, it is clear to me what happened. The D+ tells the whole story in *MY* opinion.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Lollar strikes me as a complete pretender. I wanted to like the guy from day one, but at the very least he seems incapable of assembling a staff that can handle the minutiae of running a successful campaign. At worst, he's something of a gun grabber, despite public remarks to the contrary.

Either way, I can't say that I want him as my governor.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.

Wouldn't it be ironic if Lollar received a bunch of gun grabber votes due to the erroneous D rating from the NRA:lol:

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Each candidate must fill out a survey/questionnaire with each new campaign. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that the person who wrote the mess on his website about wanting a registry, filled out the survey. If thats a staffer, they need to be fired.

Additionally, if you were listening to last weeks show when the NRA was on to discuss the Senate and Delegate grades, they welcome candidates to re-submit the surveys for further consideration and an edit of their grade.

However, it is clear to me what happened. The D+ tells the whole story in *MY* opinion.

with background checks being a Federal item he knows he can't change that BUT wants to change two things that should delight people . 1 find a way to include mental health into the background check , that bodes well for us as the phycos that shouldn't have a firearm always seem to make the national news. 2 wants the background check to be at the fingertips of the FFL at the point of sale , so it's bad that the FFL will do the check like in Free America? Or with that statement doing away with the 7 day wait?

I would suggest that you invite him on the air before the primary

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    I would be cautious about the "speculations" that are flying around the internet now. Today, I received this email response to the NRA from the Lollar Campaign Manager, Bob Carlstrom:
    (I hope this copy and paste job keeps the content in context).

Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:33 PM
    To: ChuckC@visi.net; ccunningham@nraila.org; 'ccox@hraila.org'; schristman@nrahq.org
    Cc: gnorquist@atr.org; dkeene@washingtontimes.com; Ken Timmerman (ken@lollar4governor.com); Charles Lollar
    Subject: Lollar-Timmerman on NRA Endorsement
    Importance: High

Guys, you have really misfired on this! Please retract! You effectively blast the only Republican that can win the governorship of Maryland. No one is stronger on the 2nd Amendment than us.

Bob – a NRA Life Member, as well as campaign manager.

---------------------------------
    Lollar-Timmerman on NRA Endorsement
    Posted by Ken Timmerman · May 21, 2014 4:00 PM

Statement from Bob Carlstrom, campaign manager for Lollar-Timmerman, regarding NRA Endorsements

For further comment, email bob@lollar4governor.com or call: 202-255-5087

Annapolis, May 21, 2014 - We were disappointed that the National Rifle Association did not receive our answers to their candidate questionnaire, which we submitted months ago, and today gave us a default failing grade in their ratings for the upcoming June 24 gubernatorial primary.

Both Charles and Ken received an “A” rating from the NRA in their respective Congressional campaigns in 2010 and 2012. (Timmerman's is here. Lollar's is here.]

Both Charles and Ken are on the record – repeatedly – calling for the repeal of SB 281, the latest gun-grabbing law from the Maryland General Assembly, and have called for Maryland to become a “shall issue” state.

Beyond that, both Charles and Ken understand and have repeatedly stated that the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting or even with self-defense, although both are important.

“I am a pro-2nd amendment Marine,” Charles Lollar said. “The 2nd Amendment is about freedom,” both candidates have stated repeatedly.

We have numerous videos on our website discussing 2nd Amendment issues, in addition to a separate “issues” page laying out these positions.

The NRA is an important organization that represents millions of Americans, whose support for our 2nd Amendment protections has been instrumental in beating back repeated assaults on our constitutional freedoms.

We look forward to working with the NRA to correct this bizarre and flagrant mis-representation of our 2nd Amendment positions.

READ ON FROM OUR WEBSITE

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...ixty/LollarTimmerman_NB_Banner.jpg?1393263265

Bottom of Form

Gun Rights: Restore & Protect, Not Infringe

I’m a Pro-Second Amendment Marine.
    I’m a Pro-Second Amendment American.
    I own firearms and my wife and daughters are trained to use them responsibly.
    I believe in our Constitution and in our God-given rights, one of which is to defend ourselves and our loved ones from enemies - both foreign and domestic.

I also believe the government has no right to remove or infringe on our right to keep and bear arms and/or make it nearly impossible for law-abiding citizens to responsibly carry a firearm or obtain a conceal-carry weapon permit, if they choose to do so.

I’m disappointed that the O’Malley Administration and our legislature enacted the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly SB-281). In fact, I publicly spoke out against this law before it was passed at a number of 2nd Amendment Gun Rights rallies in Annapolis.

The only people this law protects are the hardened criminals who will ignore it while the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Maryland citizens are infringed upon and further restricted. And, while this law bars people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution from possessing a firearm in Maryland, there is no national database to ensure this prohibition is enforced in other states.

This is an example of Maryland heading in the wrong direction and a tendency in Annapolis to pass laws that “hurt Maryland first” instead of solving a problem. It’s beyond reason to think criminals use state-licensed firearm stores to purchase weapons they intend to use to commit crimes. It’s also beyond reason to think law-abiding citizens are safer by limiting the magazine capacity of a gun purchased in Maryland when criminals are free to illegally purchase any high-capacity black market weapon off the street. It’s time to stop treating legal Maryland gun owners like criminals.

A NEW WAY FORWARD:

As governor,

§ I will propose legislation to REPEAL Maryland’s Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly, SB-281) if the courts do not invalidate it, and restore Second Amendment rights to Marylanders.

§ I will propose legislation to make Maryland a “shall-issue” conceal-carry permit state.

§ I will support national efforts to develop a secure comprehensive database maintaining pertinent information, available at the point of purchase, to prevent firearms sales to anyone having been identified as having been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution. If we can stop dangerous people from boarding a plane, we can overcome the legal challenges of finding a way to prevent people with a serious mental illness from purchasing a weapon anywhere in the United States.

§ I will charge the Maryland State Police with maintenance of a temporary repository of firearms-related records for review purposes only with set guidelines for purging such information after background checks have been performed. The identity of legal gun owners as well as those ineligible to possess a firearm in Maryland should be maintained in the strictest of confidence.

§ I will continue all efforts to preserve and protect the safety and well-being of the general public through the continued utilization of background checks and waiting periods for certain weapons while empowering law enforcement officials with adequate resources to provide background checks in an expeditious and timely manner.

§ I will continue to ensure those convicted of violent crimes are NOT permitted access to firearms.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I would be cautious about the "speculations" that are flying around the internet now. Today, I received this email response to the NRA from the Lollar Campaign Manager, Bob Carlstrom:

To: ChuckC@visi.net; ccunningham@nraila.org; 'ccox@hraila.org'; schristman@nrahq.org
    Cc: gnorquist@atr.org; dkeene@washingtontimes.com; Ken Timmerman (ken@lollar4governor.com); Charles Lollar

Guys, you have really misfired on this! Please retract! You effectively blast the only Republican that can win the governorship of Maryland. No one is stronger on the 2nd Amendment than us.

Statement from Bob Carlstrom, campaign manager for Lollar-Timmerman, regarding NRA Endorsements

Annapolis, May 21, 2014 - We were disappointed that the National Rifle Association did not receive our answers to their candidate questionnaire, which we submitted months ago, and today gave us a default failing grade in their ratings for the upcoming June 24 gubernatorial primary.

Both Charles and Ken received an “A” rating from the NRA in their respective Congressional campaigns in 2010 and 2012. (Timmerman's is here. Lollar's is here.]

Both Charles and Ken are on the record – repeatedly – calling for the repeal of SB 281, the latest gun-grabbing law from the Maryland General Assembly, and have called for Maryland to become a “shall issue” state.

Beyond that, both Charles and Ken understand and have repeatedly stated that the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with hunting or even with self-defense, although both are important.

“I am a pro-2nd amendment Marine,” Charles Lollar said. “The 2nd Amendment is about freedom,” both candidates have stated repeatedly.

We have numerous videos on our website discussing 2nd Amendment issues, in addition to a separate “issues” page laying out these positions.

The NRA is an important organization that represents millions of Americans, whose support for our 2nd Amendment protections has been instrumental in beating back repeated assaults on our constitutional freedoms.

We look forward to working with the NRA to correct this bizarre and flagrant mis-representation of our 2nd Amendment positions.

READ ON FROM OUR WEBSITE

http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.ne...ixty/LollarTimmerman_NB_Banner.jpg?1393263265

Bottom of Form

I believe in our Constitution and in our God-given rights, one of which is to defend ourselves and our loved ones from enemies - both foreign and domestic.

I also believe the government has no right to remove or infringe on our right to keep and bear arms and/or make it nearly impossible for law-abiding citizens to responsibly carry a firearm or obtain a conceal-carry weapon permit, if they choose to do so.

I’m disappointed that the O’Malley Administration and our legislature enacted the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly SB-281). In fact, I publicly spoke out against this law before it was passed at a number of 2nd Amendment Gun Rights rallies in Annapolis.

The only people this law protects are the hardened criminals who will ignore it while the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Maryland citizens are infringed upon and further restricted. And, while this law bars people who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution from possessing a firearm in Maryland, there is no national database to ensure this prohibition is enforced in other states.

This is an example of Maryland heading in the wrong direction and a tendency in Annapolis to pass laws that “hurt Maryland first” instead of solving a problem. It’s beyond reason to think criminals use state-licensed firearm stores to purchase weapons they intend to use to commit crimes. It’s also beyond reason to think law-abiding citizens are safer by limiting the magazine capacity of a gun purchased in Maryland when criminals are free to illegally purchase any high-capacity black market weapon off the street. It’s time to stop treating legal Maryland gun owners like criminals.

A NEW WAY FORWARD:

As governor,

§ I will propose legislation to REPEAL Maryland’s Firearm Safety Act of 2013 (formerly, SB-281) if the courts do not invalidate it, and restore Second Amendment rights to Marylanders.

§ I will propose legislation to make Maryland a “shall-issue” conceal-carry permit state.

§ I will support national efforts to develop a secure comprehensive database maintaining pertinent information, available at the point of purchase, to prevent firearms sales to anyone having been identified as having been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution. If we can stop dangerous people from boarding a plane, we can overcome the legal challenges of finding a way to prevent people with a serious mental illness from purchasing a weapon anywhere in the United States.

§ I will charge the Maryland State Police with maintenance of a temporary repository of firearms-related records for review purposes only with set guidelines for purging such information after background checks have been performed. The identity of legal gun owners as well as those ineligible to possess a firearm in Maryland should be maintained in the strictest of confidence.

§ I will continue all efforts to preserve and protect the safety and well-being of the general public through the continued utilization of background checks and waiting periods for certain weapons while empowering law enforcement officials with adequate resources to provide background checks in an expeditious and timely manner.

§ I will continue to ensure those convicted of violent crimes are NOT permitted access to firearms.

I believe there will be an NRA retraction .....just sayin:innocent0

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

READ ON FROM OUR WEBSITE

Bottom of Form

A NEW WAY FORWARD:

As governor,

(bold and underline mine)

The "repository" already exists and is subject to abuse (see the internet breach fiasco from last year which shows that the State could care less about maintaining our information "in the strictest of confidence"). Make the damn state a Point of Sale state (since this is merely an agreement, per other posts here, between the Governor's Office and the ATF, it should be a simple change). A NICS check should be ALL that is required and would be effective if Maryland complied with the NICS requirements and forwarded appropriately adjudicated information on folks that have had their rights restricted in accordance with due process.

The continuation of the abrogation of our civil rights with the maintenance of a "waiting period for certain weapons", to this Marine, is a steadfast violation of the oath that I swore as an enlisted Marine. Granted, his oath was different as an officer, but it still disappoints me, greatly, to see a Marine continue down this path.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    READ ON FROM OUR WEBSITE

Bottom of Form

A NEW WAY FORWARD:

As governor,

looks like some words have been changed in the above text from the web page read for yourself

http://www.lollar4governor.com/gun_rights

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say the stuff about "comprehensive database" and "temporary repository" is part of why the rating is not higher. My opinion is that they did receive the survey response and they do not like what they see.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am going to go out on a limb here and say the stuff about "comprehensive database" and "temporary repository" is part of why the rating is not higher. My opinion is that they did receive the survey response and they do not like what they see.

"Comprehensive database" would be an instant fail if I were doing the ratings. It's odd, though. I always have had a good opinion of Lollar.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    (bold and underline mine)

The "repository" already exists and is subject to abuse (see the internet breach fiasco from last year which shows that the State could care less about maintaining our information "in the strictest of confidence"). Make the damn state a Point of Sale state (since this is merely an agreement, per other posts here, between the Governor's Office and the ATF, it should be a simple change). A NICS check should be ALL that is required and would be effective if Maryland complied with the NICS requirements and forwarded appropriately adjudicated information on folks that have had their rights restricted in accordance with due process.

The continuation of the abrogation of our civil rights with the maintenance of a "waiting period for certain weapons", to this Marine, is a steadfast violation of the oath that I swore as an enlisted Marine. Granted, his oath was different as an officer, but it still disappoints me, greatly, to see a Marine continue down this path.

Those last two statements of his sours his chances of garnering my vote. No waiting periods and no background checks between private individuals (I know he didn't specifically state 'private individuals' but he didn't clarify it either).

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Lollar: " I will support national efforts to develop a secure comprehensive database maintaining pertinent information, available at the point of purchase, to prevent firearms sales to anyone having been identified as having been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution."

His reference to a "comprehensive database" appears to refer to prohibited persons, due to mental health issues, not of gun owners or guns. And at a national, not state levels.

That seems like a far cry from a gun registry. Where does he advocate a registry?

The "temporary repository," for review purposes only, that would be purged after background checks are completed, is a bit confusing as to the mechanics of it, so somebody should ask him for a fuller explanation as to how it works.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I do know that other candidates have had the opportunity to resubmit and/or clarify their answers.

It seems to me that Lollar chose to publicly whine and complain, instead.

Undecied here, but he is now in a position where he has no choice but to do both. He can't ignore the grade and has to address it publically which you might be calling whining and he has to address it with the NRA. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom