• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackie

Dumb Farmer
    Jan 7, 2009
    Cecil County
    .22 shorts are normaly quite any way the firing pin is louder than the report. Keep your heads down and be aware of the flocks of kill clay pigons that are around this time of year.

KevinB

Dec 4, 2008
    Germantown
    I've had a family under my shed for years...my wife thinks they're cute (they were here before we bought the house and for years the original owners had it) and won't let me touch them. To complicate matters I don't think I could shoot them where I live in AA anyhow.

You really should think about calling social services on them. Going the firearms route on a family just trying to survive in today's economic climate is a bit premature and extreme...:innocent0

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The space beneath my shed is like the high rise public houseing of woodland critters.

Fox pups, groundhog, raccoon-zilla, stray cat, and a chipmunk.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    So no one has answered my question yet, is it legal to shoot a groundhog in your backyard?

Do pellet guns fall under the same catergory as firearms?

As far as the state is concerned, no. But there are some local municipalities that have restrictions on air guns. Also, air guns are much more quiet so you are likely not to draw unwanted attention.

Unless the animal was threatening you with intent then you could kill it under the self defense clause. Dead groundhogs don't talk.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    So I guess 00 buck in my Mossberg 500 is too much for a field mouse problem? Additionally, I live in an apartment. My wife does not like glue traps or snap traps. :)

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    So I guess 00 buck in my Mossberg 500 is too much for a field mouse problem? Additionally, I live in an apartment. My wife does not like glue traps or snap traps. :)

I would reccomend a #7 or 8 :D Let's just say the exterminator in his great wisdom put a glue trap under the kitchen sink and an unsuspecting mouse happend upon it, I would then take it out to the back yard and dispatch said glue trap trapee. :innocent0

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Additionally, I live in an apartment. My wife does not like glue traps or snap traps. :)

I don't think they make "Hav-A-Hart" traps in mouse sizes. :D

I would NOT go with poison, it's just going to die somewhere inside a wall and permeate your apartment with the smell of death.

redduck21502

Oct 19, 2007
    Cumberland, MD
    That is very interesting about the wearing of orange. Is it really hunting? I think it is more like exterminating or perhaps it is an "enhanced extermination technique" (like waterboarding). I often shoot from in my breezeway or out the kitchen door. I don't know if orange would help me in my case. Perhaps I am not supposed to shoot from within the house like that.

Perhaps a gamo air rifle would do the trick on these guys. They have rifles around 1200+fps. That should rip through the thick hide.

I just shot one with my AR15 using Hornaday VMax ammo. It ripped a nice hole out the other side and he dropped instantly. Of course I would have quickly finished him off with my .357 Sig P229 if he would have still been moving. The AK47 makes a better hole, though. Both are probably too loud in your areas. Move to the country and you can shoot more of them without the neighbors freaking out.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Anyone want to volunteer to zero the scope on my pellet gun? I know I have one shot kill capability but the goddamn scope is screwing up my shot placement. Squirrels are TAUNTING me!

Lostfantum

Ultimate Member
    Nov 27, 2007
    Middle River, Maryland
    They will just laugh at you if you shoot them with a pellet gun. I have in the past shoot grounds hogs from my back porch for my neighbor (farmer) with a 22lr. Go for a headshot if at all possible.

sargesvs

Jan 31, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    I was tols 22 short and 22 long pack the same punch. Just diferent size cases for different guns.

All I know, is that my 22 short is WAY more quiet than my Gamo air rifle. If you need to dispatch critters quietly, go with the 22 short/long. You will have a more effective varmit hunter than a pellet gun, that makes less noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom