• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think I just bought the last generator in Glen Burnie. While standing in Lowes looking at a generator more expensive than I wanted to spend, I called Home Depot, Tractor Suppply, ACE, and Sears. None of them even had a generator, let alone a few to choose from. Needless to say I bought the one I was keeping my hands on at Lowes. I just hope this thing powers my mixer :)

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I jut overheard a manager in Columbia Lowes tell a guy he was getting a "flood truck" and it should have some generators on it. He's not sure when he's getting it.

Capitalism will ensure that everyone who wants to buy a generator is able to.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    With the storm apparently now steering out to sea, I suspect stores will end up with a surplus of generators by the weekend.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Costco is the best. During that storm a few years ago and the snow storm before it,when all other stores were out of everything they had it all. They had generators, snow throwers, milk, bread , toilet paper, etc.

pitpawten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Costco by FedEx field has them. Go for the propane/gas duel fuel version.

Picked this one up earlier this summer when it was on sale for $599, pretty nice thus far on break-in.

Kind of hoping that I actually get to put some load on it :)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Don't forget to pick up gas cans if you need them. Right before the last storm the local HD was completely out of them.

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    If you wait until the storm has passed, go to TSC and buy a "used" generator. Some people use TSC as a free rental place. They buy it and bring it back for a refund because they didn't like it or some similar excuse. TSC has no choice but to sell it at a discount. I'm sure it happens with other vendors too.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Clement hardware in Sev Pk has em... always does when things go south... last hurricane they were sellin em a pallet load an hour... lol

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Don't forget to pick up gas cans if you need them. Right before the last storm the local HD was completely out of them.
    Got one this morning as a backup at HD Ordnance Rd... they were pullin the last of the 5gal cans off the top shelf to put on the floor..

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Wasn't there a thread last year about HF gen catching on fire and no way to get replacement parts for them?

HF generators are so cheap, when they die you just attach a chain to them and repurpose them as boat anchors.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Wasn't there a thread last year about HF gen catching on fire and no way to get replacement parts for them?

Yeah, but the photo posted was not a HF generator, and it was sitting on a piece of wood ( a palette IIRC ) and there was burned wood (looked like pressed wood sheets) all around it. It looked to me like someone had built an enclosure to silence it.... and if so that could have caused overheating and eventually caught itself or the generator on fire.

One thing all inexpensive generators are, is loud. Many people try to remedy that with various mods and barriers.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Thanks for buying the generators as insurance for the Storm not hitting. I bought one 2 years ago before a snow storm that didn't hit. It is still in the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom