• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    If you lap the rings, you remove the anodizing. The exposes soft aluminum and removes the corrosion protection of the anodizing. Buy quality rings.

Hmmm... I've always used steel until I recently bought a set of Night Force rings that are made of some kind of mystery material.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    With steel rings, you remove the coating and again are subject to corrosion.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    If you need to measure any gap(s), and can't get a feeler gauge between the mount and receiver, maybe this will help:

#20 (aka/ 20 lb.) paper (notebook paper) = .003" -.004"
    #9 (aka/ 9 lb, otherwise known as "Onion Skin") = .0025" -.003"
    #110 (aka/ 110 lb) otherwise known as "Index" = .009"

Matchbook covers usually 'mic out' to be .007" -.009"

In all my years of messin' around with firearms, I've never had to lap scope rings.
    Until recently, I've used Leupold mounts/rings exclusively.
    I've used Warne 'standard' and "QD" rings on a couple of firearms, and they've been 'good-to-go', also.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    If you bed with all 4 screws, you will bend the mount. The point of bedding is to prevent bending the mount.

Yes...and no. Yes, in that you don't want to put ANY torque on the screws that are aligned in area you're bedding (usually the rear on Remingtons). No, in that if you don't put any torque on them and they are just there to block the bedding compound from the screw holes then you can't bend the mount.

The ONLY reason to have the back screws there at all is to have them block the screw holes. You could use silly putty in the holes...but I've found that putting release agent on the screws themselves and threading them through enough to align them BUT NOT enough to put ANY torque on them makes for a cleaner bedding job and easier clean up.

Again, YMMV...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You were not clear previously.

I full the holes with floor wax (also used as release agent). But I put one screw in loosly to make sure I don't have the mount angled off axis.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I thought I was...

11b) Next, start the second front screw the same way, only one thread. Then start the two back screws with only one thread. Now, with a digit on the front of the base let the wet epoxy down onto the reciever, Don't put ANY pressure on the back with your fingers. Use a driver and very slowly and carefully turn the front screws down until you feel the very first sign of it hitting bottom. There is NO torque at all here so don't try to actually tighten them. Just let them hit bottom and stop.

11c) Next turn the rear screws in a little so that the screw heads are into thier countersinks but DO NOT bottom them out. With your gap on the rear of the base being what you are trying to fix you don't want ANY stress induced there. All you are doing with the rear screws is making sure of their alignment in their countersinks.

Regardless...you are absolutely correct in that inducing ANY stress during the bedding process is counterproductive and will only result in a waste of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom