• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    so today, while working on the saiga 223, i came across something which may interest people a fair bit.

you know how the AK trigger has always been cursed with a long pull? well...i've figured out a way, with no modification to the firearm, to turn that long pull into a 1/16" total pull before the hammer is released.

im not ready to say anything detailed about it...i will be updating everyone as everything goes on and it progresses.

basically its like a match trigger for the AK...right now my saiga 223 has a 1/16" pull and about a 4 pound break, and everything is functioning perfectly.

edit:

how did that damn ' , ' get into my title >.< lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I do work similar to this. I add weld to the underside of the Trigger Tail. Often you have to make Disconnector Adjustments to prevent Disconnector Hangup and Trigger Slap.

Only problem with shortening up an AK Trigger is they become less reliable when dirty. That long pull gets MUCH shorter when the gun is fouled or carboned up inside. They will have "hammer follow" and "failure to cock the hammer" issues if tweaked to their operational limit in my experience. I can make them reliable and short but $95.00 Labor for AK trigger work isnt something most people are willing to pay for.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    yea i've tinkered with that before...gave up on it for the reasons.

what this is has nothing to do with the internals, or any mods to the FCG or reciever, or anything for that matter.

the function of the disconnector and such is also not impaired what-so-ever.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Looks cool on video except 1 major flaw. Its an ak lol.

I remember that thing having a decent trigger before, so now its gotta be really nice.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    lol...whaaateeevveerr

just got done with the prototype...

working on both the SGL 21 and Saiga 223...in a few days i may have the next prototype done.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Second prototype works great. Frankly im shocked that there dies not seem to be that much interest in this. Post if you are interested in this...if there is enough buzz about it i will look into making them for sale.

Some details: it should work on any ak. No modification to the gun. Trigger pull length is adjustable. Very simple to install, only takes about a minute to have it put on and adjusted as desired.

Please understand why i do not want to say more or post pictures lol

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    Oh I'm interested--I'm interested and follow all your AK threads. Just not really there yet as a new AK owner. Right now I'm content with the stock arsenal trigger compared to the other major issue I am trying to correct--the sighting system. And one issue at a time is how I roll. (A man's got to know his limitations).

Gundahar

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I will be looking into putting a pat. on it. Whats wrong with your sights gundahr?

Your better off just making it and dealing with competition if someone copies you. Getting an item Patented is EXPENSIVE and unless your going to make a heck of alot of money making an item its not worth it.

If you have a neat device roll out hard and fast and you will have little competition unless someone starts making a similar product in china for alot cheaper (this takes a substancial amount of time). Even the big companies cant outmatch this reality, it is what it is.

I know many people who have invented gun related things, many are sold in Brownells and none are rich from it. Only one guy has a patent and his best friend/neighbor is his Patent Attorney.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Match trigger on an AK? That should really close up your groups. You'll probably be under 12" at 50 yards with a match trigger.

( :D )

Seriously, good luck on your mod. Before you go in to full production, I'd put a few thousand rounds through one, just to be sure it's reliable and safe.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    I guess nothing was wrong with my sights, it was more my eyesight. Like I said in previous post, my plans on sticking with the stock leaf sight didn't work out--blurring was just too great.

I put on a Texas Weapon System Dogleg II, and their peep sight. So far its rocking for me--but I don't think I can declare victory just yet. Plus there is the question of an optic. Coming from handgun shooting, the lack of feedback with the rifle tremendously bothers me. Was the shot left? high? off the target? Can't really tell with irons at any kind of range.

Its like playing darts and they tell you the score after the match--not fun.

Either I get some kind of spotting scope and check periodically, or I mount an optic, ideally with minor magnification, like a 1x-4x Leo or something. I'm stuck at deciding what I want to do at this step--both ways cost more than pocket change, even if I decide to just keep with irons for some time.

Your fix I would put under fine tuning, and like I said--I'm just not there yet, although I greatly appreciate the information on these forums, from you and other (AK) shooters. :D

Gundahar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom