• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Bills can be attached, not amended as well IIRC. Can you check this? Someone (Patrick IIRC) said bills attached to legislation only require 51 voltes to attach.

I love the positivity of some folks here. :sad20:

I think you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I hope this bill gets through, but I'm planning for the fact that it may not. By not doing so, I believe opens you to frustration and disappointment.

I'd much rather be prepared than frustrated and disappointed.

YMMV

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    More that the Republicans have to make passing it a priority. And they haven't. They never have.

Right. This is a problem with the republican establishment, their questionable alliances and dubious deal making but there are many bills discussed during the congressional session and gun rights are just one of them.

To think that nothing's happening with national reciprocity because it's not dominating the discussions or debates is not necessarily true. Not having the 60% on board in the senate means that they'll have be patient and creative in getting it through. The Dems are absolutely against improving gun rights for lawful citizens period and will filibuster anything.

Meanwhile constitutional/permitless carry is slowly but steadily working it's way through the states. :brows:

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    I think you need to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I hope this bill gets through, but I'm planning for the fact that it may not. By not doing so, I believe opens you to frustration and disappointment.

I'd much rather be prepared than frustrated and disappointed.

YMMV

Speaking of being prepared for the worse... Why hasn't anyone pursued this through the courts yet with the precedent established in Obergefell v. Hodges? Seems like a slam dunk that if gay a marriage license, certainly a phenomenon unbeknownst to the founders, is a right and a license for which has to be recognized out of state, then a license for a enumerated right must be protected.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Right. This is a problem with the republican establishment, their questionable alliances and dubious deal making but there are many bills discussed during the congressional session and gun rights are just one of them.

To think that nothing's happening with national reciprocity because it's not dominating the discussions or debates is not necessarily true. Not having the 60% on board in the senate means that they'll have be patient and creative in getting it through. The Dems are absolutely against improving gun rights for lawful citizens period and will filibuster anything.

Meanwhile constitutional/permitless carry is slowly but steadily working it's way through the states. :brows:

Right, my point more is that I don't believe the GOP establishment actually cares enough to be "creative." Unless the NRA holds their feet to the fire, they won't do anything.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Speaking of being prepared for the worse... Why hasn't anyone pursued this through the courts yet with the precedent established in Obergefell v. Hodges? Seems like a slam dunk that if gay a marriage license, certainly a phenomenon unbeknownst to the founders, is a right and a license for which has to be recognized out of state, then a license for a enumerated right must be protected.

You're assuming that the courts are inclined to be intellectually honest. They're not. Leftist judges have no qualms about carving out unprincipled exceptions or making logical leaps that don't make sense.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Public carry (and in this case CCW) has to be recognized first.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    How many folks have contacted their senators and representatives, urging them to support this bill? I'm curious to know what responses you've received. I have contacted mine (Pennsylvania), and received a response from Senator Toomey that he supports the bill--no surprise there. I haven't heard from the others.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Public carry (and in this case CCW) has to be recognized first.

That is where I get confused in light of Obergefell. Gay marriage was never previously recognized as a right by SCOTUS. Similar to CCW, it was recognized as a licensed right by a number of States, reciprocity for that license was granted by some. Obergefell extended the reciprocity to all the States.

So basically you are saying Puerta, etc needs to establish it as a core right first, then a follow up to extend reciprocity? How does Obergefell help us at all then?

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Do you know who our representatives and Senators are or their position on the 2A?

I do.

I do, as well. Typically I receive responses from those who agree with my request, and do not get responses from those who disagree. Either way, it's good to contact them from time to time.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That is where I get confused in light of Obergefell. Gay marriage was never previously recognized as a right by SCOTUS. Similar to CCW, it was recognized as a licensed right by a number of States, reciprocity for that license was granted by some. Obergefell extended the reciprocity to all the States.

So basically you are saying Puerta, etc needs to establish it as a core right first, then a follow up to extend reciprocity? How does Obergefell help us at all then?

Yes, if it is recognized as part of the 2A then Obergefell would make a reciprocity (or at least availability of non resident permits) case much easier.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hi
    A couple of weeks ago i had sent a letter to Sen Van Hollen asking him to support the bill.
    The following is a E mail that I Received back from him.I have posted the whole e mail here for you all to see his reply.

Van_Hollen_letterhead_II.png

Dear Mr. Burnett:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support of the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support and respect the rights of responsible adults to own guns under the second amendment. While I understand there is much confusion between states on gun laws and regulations, I believe it is not the federal government’s responsibility to dictate to states what licenses and permits shall be honored from other states. Every citizen has the right to exercise their Second Amendment rights but ultimately, states have the responsibility to enforce gun laws.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I will keep your views in mind as Congress considers this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,​
    Chris Van Hollen
    United States Senator

P.S. Please visit my website. While there, you can view press releases and statements, see what legislation I have sponsored or co-sponsored and receive information on the various constituent services provided by my office.​

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hi
    A couple of weeks ago i had sent a letter to Sen Van Hollen asking him to support the bill.
    The following is a E mail that I Received back from him.I have posted the whole e mail here for you all to see his reply.

Van_Hollen_letterhead_II.png

Dear Mr. Burnett:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support of the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

I support and respect the rights of responsible adults to own guns under the second amendment. While I understand there is much confusion between states on gun laws and regulations, I believe it is not the federal government’s responsibility to dictate to states what licenses and permits shall be honored from other states. Every citizen has the right to exercise their Second Amendment rights but ultimately, states have the responsibility to enforce gun laws.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I will keep your views in mind as Congress considers this issue. Please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,​
    Chris Van Hollen
    United States Senator

P.S. Please visit my website. While there, you can view press releases and statements, see what legislation I have sponsored or co-sponsored and receive information on the various constituent services provided by my office.​

I guess Senator Van Hollen feels comfortable with segregation since he just quoted the rationale for Jim Crow laws. While he is right that states are responsible to enforce gun jaws, he seems to have forgotten the Fourteenth Amendment, Section 1, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." States like Maryland, that have reciprocity with no other state, seem to be in violation of that amendment. That is a Federal matter just as enforcing de-segregation is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Hmm, wonder if the Majority Whip and his aides being shot while playing a little baseball will open a few more R's and even D's eyes and get them to climb aboard, or if they will succumb to more BS ineffective gun control laws?

GAL700

Jun 8, 2016
    AA County
    Hmm, wonder if the Majority Whip and his aides being shot while playing a little baseball will open a few more R's and even D's eyes and get them to climb aboard, or if they will succumb to more BS ineffective gun control laws?

Headline will read:

"Republican Whip and 2 Amendment supporter falls victim to out of control gun violence"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom