• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I can't believe people are pro 2A in other threads but fine with virtue signaling in this one.

The OP was selling a rifle to someone he doesn't know, got an erie feeling because some other guy was there, and decided against the sale. I regularly bring friends with me that know better than I do to purchase expensive items. You have absolutely no evidence that it was a straw purchase. For this type of sale, a straw purchase isn't necessary anyway.

If you're paranoid I suggest you sell the rifle to someone you know or via a legitimate referral. Better yet, put it on consignment and pay the commission for peace of mind.

I suspect that we have more to the story because none of this adds up. Especially after they allegedly kicked your car.

I don't understand what you mean by "virtue signaling" in this particular context.:o

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Virtue signaling is well defined.

I think have a pretty good handle on what the term means. Ironically, just today I explained the term to a co-worker, and I'm pretty sure he got it.

What I'm trying to understand is what parts of this thread you see as virtue signaling? :shrug:

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I think have a pretty good handle on what the term means. Ironically, just today I explained the term to a co-worker, and I'm pretty sure he got it.

What I'm trying to understand is what parts of this thread you see as virtue signaling? :shrug:

I'd call that coworker and tell him you don't know what it is.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Good discussion. :tdown: We should try again sometime :cool:

Lol please dont. Yes I know sarcasm...

As time goes by, this board continues to argue more and more with each other. Its not even winter yet(off season)

OP decided not to sell, doesnt matter his reason. Now we are inferring there is more the story, like any of us on this board have a clue wtf really happened? Maybe OP believes in aliens and potential buyer didnt?

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    “Virtue signalling is the conspicuous expression of moral values”. Acting on intuition implies the absence of subjective evidence which is not an expression of moral values, it is an simple expression of risk. What it does not imply is that I am for UBCs or anything else, it’s a simple response to environment and circumstance.

The statement that folks here are “virtue signaling” strong 2a and anti UBC moral expressions and then supporting walking away from a sale based on intuition is some how a violation of their morals is incorrect . FTF sellers have no obligation to sell firearms to anyone regardless if they meet the requirement or not, all it takes is a concern. In fact, the decision to do so reflects strong support for responsible gun ownership under the 2A. On the other hand, you can do whatever you feel is right when selling FTF...

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Lol please dont. Yes I know sarcasm...

As time goes by, this board continues to argue more and more with each other. Its not even winter yet(off season)

OP decided not to sell, doesnt matter his reason. Now we are inferring there is more the story, like any of us on this board have a clue wtf really happened? Maybe OP believes in aliens and potential buyer didnt?

I think, overall, this thread has been productive. Interesting (albeit sometimes slightly barbed) points on either side. I know it has got me thinking more about how such a FTF transfer would be handled. (I'd never do it though. Selling one of my guns?!? My guns?! That's just...no. Hell no.:sad20:).

You are absolutely correct that we don't have a clue what really happened, and that makes it even harder (and more speculative) to try to figure out how we each would have done it better.

I still don't know what it has to do with virtue signaling though. :shrug:

(at least it hasn't gone down the love/hate the police road...yet :rolleyes:)

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    I disagree. If I went with a buddy to check out a rifle he wanted to buy and the seller basically accused us of being criminals I would be pissed to.

I have checked out several firearms for friends to make sure they weren't getting junk or ripped off. This very well could've been the case here.

Being pissed, and then choosing to kick the car vs. explaining the situation is the difference. Someone who would kick a car out of anger over such things is not demonstrating good judgement.. Of course, we only have one side of the story..

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm not sure the "other side" of the story matter much, once you decide to either damage property or lay hands on someone.....all bets are off.

I can't think of a situation where I'd KICK someone's car unless myself or a family member was in immediate danger.

Certainly not because someone chose to not sell me a firearm....

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Rhetorical question: if the OP made the sale and the next day camera crews showed up at the OPs house with the Bloomberg stooges in tow to accuse the OP of making a straw man sale, how many here would be saying he made the wrong decision?

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Sell it on GB, and ship it to an FFL of his choice only after receiving payment. Then you are covered, assuming that his FFL will accept a shipment from a Non-FFL. A majority will do it if they get a copy of your ID.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I've only gotten rid of TWO guns my entire life.

Gave an old Charter Arms .38 revolver to my nephew, so that he could practice his marksmanship to get his security guard license. It was promptly stolen, lock-box and all. Probably by one of his idiot roommates. I should have known better... That was 20 years ago.

Traded a S&W Shield 9mm for a Glock 26 Gen.4. Good deal for both me and my buddy. He didn't like the Glock, and the Shield had been supplanted as my off-duty EDC by a Sig P365. So now when I retire, I'll have a gun to use all the extra Glock mags I bought to go with my duty gun, and he has an EDC that he loves, with 4 extra mags.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom