• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Well up until this year I would have said 12GA. But I have two friends who have the 20ga. Savage bolt shotgun. I had the opportunity to shoot one of them and I have to say the damn things shoots like a rifle. I shot a 3 shot 3/4" group first time on the gun. I was so impressed with it I started doing some research online and looking at the ballistics of the 20Ga. And out to 300 yds.The thing hits like a hammer.

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    Robar, that is what got me thinking. There must be a reason the Savage bolt-action only comes in a 20 gauge. Is it really better? I've always been in the same court as BlackBart. Bigger is better. But is it really?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well up until this year I would have said 12GA. But I have two friends who have the 20ga. Savage bolt shotgun. I had the opportunity to shoot one of them and I have to say the damn things shoots like a rifle. I shot a 3 shot 3/4" group first time on the gun. I was so impressed with it I started doing some research online and looking at the ballistics of the 20Ga. And out to 300 yds.The thing hits like a hammer.

I must suck worse than I thought. I used to do well with a 870 20guage and Hastings barrel and get decent shots at 150 yards. 300 yards is rifle range, for me.

ebranger

Feb 5, 2014
    Columbia, MD
    300 yards with ANY shotgun slug or sabot would be out of the realm of practicality.

Certainly would be for me. I don't think there is any place where I hunt that a 300-yd shot would even be possible, much less practical. But is there any marked difference in the killing power of a 20-guage at, say, 100 yards?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I must suck worse than I thought. I used to do well with a 870 20guage and Hastings barrel and get decent shots at 150 yards. 300 yards is rifle range, for me.

300 yards with a shotgun is a crapshoot with a LOT of luck. Here's using the bolt action Savage.....

http://randywakeman.com/Savage220Stainless.htm

32 inches at 200 yards.... that's plenty ridicules enough, at 300 it's going to spook away a shot for later. Slugs are fine.... within their SEVERE limitations.

220TCballistics.jpg

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    300 yards with ANY shotgun slug or sabot would be out of the realm of practicality.

BB I totally agree with you but with the Savage Bolt and Winchester shells guys are getting consistent kills with that combination out past 250 yds. I wouldn't have believed it either.:shocked:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

Do you have a Cousin named SomdShoot ? Goes by the nickname Slugman ??

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Certainly would be for me. I don't think there is any place where I hunt that a 300-yd shot would even be possible, much less practical. But is there any marked difference in the killing power of a 20-guage at, say, 100 yards?

To each their own,

A. this will probably be your only shotgun and you're not exactly Clint Eastwood?
    B. Practice time will be at a premium?
    C. 12 Ga holds MORE pellets for that quail, duck, rabbit ect
    100 yards = realistic trajectory for both.

MY personal opinion.... bolt action shotguns SUCK, had one and gave it away. Forget the followup shot, hulls do not eject as clean as brass. I detested that pos. 870 pump or an auto if you're going to hunt where they're legal.

just my .02.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    BB I totally agree with you but with the Savage Bolt and Winchester shells guys are getting consistent kills with that combination out past 250 yds. I wouldn't have believed it either.:shocked:

I have no doubt that it will kill BUT you're looking at about a 60 inch drop. That's just plain stupid IMHO. Few can do that consistently.... like this bitch

11-obama-just-doing-obama.jpg

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

So at 250 yds you will be at around + or - 50" of drop. That's pitiful odds for a clean hit with a slug gun.
    I was taught hunting was Fair Chase and only good clean shots are to be taken. That's not for me.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I shoot the Savage 220. Taken two deer with it thus far. One 8pt at 15 yds and one button buck at 83 yds standing offhand. The terminal effects of the cartridge were effective and efficient.
    With Remington 2-3/4" Accupoints, I am confident with it out to 100 yds from all positions at this point. I find you have to be careful with the pressure you apply to the gun on account of the flimsy stock.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

And a hammer thrown 300 yards hits like a hammer too. But would I try to do that, no

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    You don't need a 12. You would be better off with a 20. The extra recoil in a lightweight slug gun isn't a good trade for the little bit of extra power. I have both and the 20 is far better for hunting.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I like the 20ga slugs. I shoot SST's in the Ultra Slugger and Copper Solids in the 870 and 1187.

Never had a problem taking a deer with them.

I shot 12ga a lot when I was younger but for the distances I'm shooting, 20 is just fine.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    I have a 12, but it is simply because I started years ago and that is what was mostly available. I also have a pump and like to be able to put on another barrel for waterfowl and small game. But, if I was starting fresh today and wanted a dedicated deer gun, I'd probably go for a 20. The ammo available today is far better than it once was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom