• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    If it were an engraved gun or collectible, I would call it an idiot scratch and I would be upset about it too. For a working gun, IMHO, it is meant to be used, wear and scratches don't mean that much. Those things are bound to happen eventually if any tool sees much use. You can easily tell which of my guns see a lot of use and which are collectable works of art.:innocent0

That is ok. You just happen to fall into the "I do not give a shit" crowd. Those in that crowd just need to understand that there are a lot of folks in the "I do give a shit" crowd and stop telling them that they shouldn't worry about it.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    That is ok. You just happen to fall into the "I do not give a shit" crowd. Those in that crowd just need to understand that there are a lot of folks in the "I do give a shit" crowd and stop telling them that they shouldn't worry about it.

It is a free country and you are welcome to have your opinion.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I waited too long and Quinn no longer works at TMGN!

Guys, any other suggestions? I'm so anal with my guns and cars. The scratch drives me crazy. I know it's just a $1k Colt, but I can't have a scratch like that on it knowing that I did it.

Thanks!

Contact John Carduner (trikshot) even if he cannot remove the scratch, he will modify the slide stop to keep it from happening again.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    There is nothing in the 1911 design that would preclude someone from pushing the slide stop straight in.

There is no need to push the stop into the trigger guard and rotate it upward.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There is nothing in the 1911 design that would preclude someone from pushing the slide stop straight in.

Except bad fit of the parts. With bad fit, handlers often rotate the stop to start or continue it moving into the frame. A better fitting gun doesn't need this.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010

Correct, provided you push the slide stop past the slide stop plunger smartly and and at the right angle--otherwise the plunger will get jammed in the slide stop notch. As others said, you can also notch out the slide stop itself to start the plunger moving. It also helps to remove the thumb safety first, so there is no tension on the plunger spring.

The idiot scratch is usually a byproduct of how you disassemble the pistol. When you field strip an accurized 1911 the slide stop is the first part you remove and the last part you put back. When you reassemble this way, the slide stop is under immediate tension against the barrel legs from the recoil spring. With all that tension, it's much less likely that the slide stop will rotate uncontrollably and cause the scratch. In this method you have to compress the recoil spring manually in the slide before slipping the whole assembly onto the frame.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    ok, seriously. I do not see a scratch. Where is it?

Seems to me, anything that polishes out the (invisible to me) scratch removes metal and even more finish.

I was taught to apply some huntsman's oil or fisherman's oil: Get lubed up (with some beer, scotch, or bourbon) and tell a good story. "You see, this is where I had to beat him over the head..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom