• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    So I went to shoot my first build, I was really happy - still am. But I could hear the buffer tube everytime I shot, I hate it lol.

I just wanna hear my baby go bang....I've read everything from coat the spring in lube, coating it in graphite powder, or getting something like a spike tactical heavy buffer....

Any advice?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Red wheel bearing grease helps. So does lithium grease but not as well. There's also the JP Silent Captured Spring.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Read the reviews of the JP springs. They are known to fail and not recommended. The Tubb Flat Springs work great and are fairly quiet.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    There's that flat spring that Clandestine recommends.

http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring

I think it is said to be quieter.

I heard that the Tubb spring would eliminate the "sprong" noise. So I got the Tubb spring as my original spring was pushing 4 years old and it's a bit quieter than my old OEM round spring. But I can still hear it quite distinctly. I use electronic muffs which tend to amplify sound at certain frequencies so maybe that's the reason it isn't much quieter. Perhaps if I wore earplugs I wouldn't hear it at all.

The rifle shoots great with that new spring BTW.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Now I'm picturing someone who has packed so much grease in there that it squirts out the end of the buffer tube like a grease gun...

Seen it my friend.

Guy came in the shop and had literally packed about half a cup of grease in the Receier Extension and at least a tablespoon in the FCG pocket in the Lower.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Now I'm picturing someone who has packed so much grease in there that it squirts out the end of the buffer tube like a grease gun...

Seen it my friend.

Guy came in the shop and had literally packed about half a cup of grease in the Receier Extension and at least a tablespoon in the FCG pocket in the Lower.

Well we all know it wasn't me, because I know better. :lol2:

WhyTheBans

Oct 31, 2016
    Just do all your shooting without hearing protection and soon you won't be bothered by any noises at all!

I can hear the spring clearly with ear plugs in lol

I've always wanted to shoot without ear plugs, but I've had my ears ring with ear plugs so I dont think its a good idea.

Flat Spring will give the best results IME. No JP for me.

You can put a little grease on it, but dont pack ot like a wheel bearing.

I was just going to put a nitril glove on, put the lube on my finger, and run my fingers in circles down the spring. (that sounds so naughty) :lol2:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I can hear the spring clearly with ear plugs in lol

Yes. That's because you're hearing it via bone conduction, not via the air moving the tympanic membrane in your ears. Your cheekbone is pressed right against it, and the vibrations of the spring are conducted through your bones right to your inner ear.

I've always wanted to shoot without ear plugs, but I've had my ears ring with ear plugs so I dont think its a good idea.

Yeah, that would cause permanent hearing loss.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    But ive always heard theres no such thing as too much lube!!!! Maybe that was on another subject

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom