Texas CCW non-resident: anyone get one lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Come to Austin, get some of the best brisket you'll ever have, and you can make fun of the hipsters while eating it.If you plan right I'll bet you can do the class and still make it to get your fingerprints in the same day. The fingerprint scheduling is done online.

My wife and I did the class this past Spring. Had the CHL in hand about a month afterwards.

The class times vary. Some classes go a little longer because they feel the minimum isn't enough time to teach everything.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Come to Austin, get some of the best brisket you'll ever have, and you can make fun of the hipsters while eating it.If you plan right I'll bet you can do the class and still make it to get your fingerprints in the same day. The fingerprint scheduling is done online.

My wife and I did the class this past Spring. Had the CHL in hand about a month afterwards.

The class times vary. Some classes go a little longer because they feel the minimum isn't enough time to teach everything.

Is the "County Line" still open? Use to travel to Austin when I worked for TI.

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Thanks all for tips and ideas. I'm contemplating a January trip to Arkansas anyway, and since Dallas will be a connecting flight anyway, may as well stay a day or two, do the course and prints, then head on to Little Rock. Adding Texas non-resident only gives you TX and PA (if you have UT and FL).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

How do you schedule prints? And are they available on weekends?

We are seriously thinking about a TX trip anyway, and adding the CCW would be great.

Odiferous Maximus

Feb 16, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Funny thing is, my UT permit is valid is TX, so I could carry to the carry class. :)

Even better - no permit is necessary to have a gun in your car in Texas. Furthermore, you CAN carry it concealed from your door (home or hotel) directly to your car, and from your car directly to the business running the CHL class.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Yeah I carried all the way when I was there except in 30.06 and TABC 51% places as well as others prohibited by law

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I used Lone Star Gun Training:

http://lonestarguntraining.com/

I don't actually need a Texas CCW but since I buy guns from time to time when I am there it really speeds things up when I have a CCW. Some dealers are hesitant to ship to a dealer in another state but if you have a CCW, it is checked daily by Texas DPS, so they know you are good to go. Plus it had a live fire component and I love shooting--and I aced it!

The DPS site is here:

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/index.htm

FAQ's:

http://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/index.htm

Here is the application site:

https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    Question about issuance to Maryland residents...

Well, I'm set up for the training in Dallas in January, but was warned by one place that Texas may not approve it because hey'll only issue if you come from a state with reciprocity, which Maryland has none.

Anyone have any first-hand experience with it? I could call but wanted to check with ya'll first..

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    Make sure you practice. You need to qualify, the shooting test isn't particularly hard though. I scored a perfect 200 with my Springfield XDM 45

Who are you doing the class with? Did you schedule your fingerprints as well?

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    The Texas CHL is scored on a 250 point course so I think you meant a perfect 250! :) It was pretty fun and one of the reasons that I got the permit.

Range Qualifications for Texas CHL

A total of 50 rounds are fired during the course of the qualification test. A score of 70%, or 175 points of a possible 250, is required to pass. The target used is a TX-PT which is a human-shaped silhouette target measuring 45 by 24 inches. All shooting is from the ready position, which means the gun is already in your hands and aimed in. No holster shooting or shooting from concealed is required.

Course of Fire:

3 yard line - 20 shots:

1 shot in 2 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 3 seconds, 5 times
    5 shots in 10 seconds, once

7 yard line - 20 shots:

5 shots in 10 seconds, once
    1 shot in 3 seconds, 5 times
    2 shots in 4 seconds, once
    3 shots in 6 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once

15 yard line - 10 shots:

2 shots in 6 seconds, once
    3 shots in 9 seconds, once
    5 shots in 15 seconds, once

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Texas law requires 1 self defense shot no faster than every 2 seconds, up to 5 times. This is probably to give the attacker the option to surrender.

If not, you are permitted to make up to 2 shots every 3 seconds, at least 5 times, if you are still under imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death.

There are no exceptions to that rate of fire. I think it's a misdemeanor if you are timed failing to comply.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    The Texas CHL is scored on a 250 point course so I think you meant a perfect 250! :) It was pretty fun and one of the reasons that I got the permit.

That looks so fun.

Another course I would love to try is the air marshal qualifier. I have no desire to be an air marshal but they could make a boat load of money if they opened that course up to non-applicants.

http://www.thegunzone.com/fam-lawman/fam-qual.html

Feb 28, 2013
    Texas law requires 1 self defense shot no faster than every 2 seconds, up to 5 times. This is probably to give the attacker the option to surrender.

If not, you are permitted to make up to 2 shots every 3 seconds, at least 5 times, if you are still under imminent threat of serious bodily injury or death.

There are no exceptions to that rate of fire. I think it's a misdemeanor if you are timed failing to comply.

Sounds tough. I'll have to try it next time I'm at the range.

With a rule like that it definitely behooves one to make sure they have enough gun, so to speak.

flyhimd

Aug 12, 2014
    @ryan_j: I'm doing the CHL course at Texas handgun academy, helpful and prompt replies by email, $60. Based on the other posts, I'll definitely practice with a shot timer. I didn't understand the slow rate for the test at first, but some of the posters explained it well...provides time to surrender. I've been skilling myself to shoot fast and accurately. Guess the south takes life's pace a little slower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom