• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I have a pre-2000 Buckmark that has problems feeding the second and subsequent rounds from the magazine. The first round always loads fine. Everything else works perfectly, but it won't feed right. I tried crimping the top of the magazines a little, and that helped, but it still doesn't feed through an entire magazine. The rounds sometimes get jammed against the edge of the chamber, and other times the slide slams into the side of the round and it never leaves the magazine.

Any suggestions? And I'm not looking for "buy a MK III"...LOL

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I just mentioned the MK3 since they no longer make the I or II. I also prefer the MK3 Magazine Release.

Thanks, I was just hoping it was the current manufacturing and personal preference. I grew up shooting a Mark I so I am used to the mag release. I also do not like the magazine disconnect in the Mark III.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Sorry, but I would buy another Buckmark before I buy any Rugers.
    You will find me on RFC also. The Mk 1/2 mag release makes it useless in action shooting. The 22/45 can be a b***h because the mags don't do in at the same angle as the grip. That leaves the Mk III as about the only Ruger useable in action shooting that does not have a built in handicap. Took them till the new Lite model to finally make a Ruger that is as light as a Buckmark.
    On the BM mags the feed lip openning needs to be tapered slightly meaning they are spred more at the back than at the front of the mag. If I could get a look at I could probebly fix it in 15 minutes. All of my Buckmark raceguns were built from early 90's standard frame field/target models with the slabside barrels.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Sorry, but I would buy another Buckmark before I buy any Rugers.
    You will find me on RFC also. The Mk 1/2 mag release makes it useless in action shooting. The 22/45 can be a b***h because the mags don't do in at the same angle as the grip. That leaves the Mk III as about the only Ruger useable in action shooting that does not have a built in handicap. Took them till the new Lite model to finally make a Ruger that is as light as a Buckmark.
    On the BM mags the feed lip openning needs to be tapered slightly meaning they are spred more at the back than at the front of the mag. If I could get a look at I could probebly fix it in 15 minutes. All of my Buckmark raceguns were built from early 90's standard frame field/target models with the slabside barrels.

I did have a friend take a look and he crimped the top of the magazine a little and that made a huge difference, but it's still not feeding right. I took it apart, cleaned the entire gun, and found the follower was broke and some of the pins were a little chewed up from someone else taking it apart. I'm waiting on parts from Brownells now to replace them and the follower. When I get the parts I'll test it again and post a follow up report.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "Sorry, but I would buy another Buckmark before I buy any Rugers.
    On the BM mags the feed lip openning needs to be tapered slightly meaning they are spred more at the back than at the front of the mag. If I could get a look at I could probebly fix it in 15 minutes. All of my Buckmark raceguns were built from early 90's standard frame field/target models with the slabside barrels. "

Getting a 22 conversion right on a 1911 frame works well, and you can get 15 round mags for the Ciener and copies. Of course, you'll need to do the out of state thing for the 15 rounder.

Moon

M-O-O-N, that spells...
    Jan 4, 2013
    In Orbit
    I have a pre-2000 Buckmark that has problems feeding the second and subsequent rounds from the magazine. The first round always loads fine. Everything else works perfectly, but it won't feed right. I tried crimping the top of the magazines a little, and that helped, but it still doesn't feed through an entire magazine. The rounds sometimes get jammed against the edge of the chamber, and other times the slide slams into the side of the round and it never leaves the magazine.

Any suggestions? And I'm not looking for "buy a MK III"...LOL

Have you tried different ammo?

I have seen 22 Long fired through a 22 and it behaved like that. 22 Long is not the same as 22 Long Rifle.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I've tried a few different types of ammo, but certainly not everything. All the repairs are done and it function checks just fine. I'll take it to the range in the next couple of days and report back as to what happens.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Does it look like this?
    This was with minimags when I got mine, but after about 200-300 rounds, problem went away and it working fine with nearly everything I used and have put 1000+ rounds through it and not cleaned it yet. Only time I have trouble is with Winchester 333 recently. Gonna try minimags again next before deciding to clean it.

Have you tried another magazine?

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
      IMG_2190.jpg
      72.2 KB · Views: 233

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    When it was happening, the round would release from the magazine early and not allow the bullet to enter the chamber. The round would get jammed against the edge of the chamber. A friend helped to crimp the top of the magazines a little, which helped greatly, but the rounds would occasionally jam.

Your photo shows the round was grabbed by the extractor before it jammed. Mine wouldn't get that far. The slide would start to push the round out of the magazine and the magazine would release it too early.

I only have the two factory mags it came with - it was used when I bought it. After the repairs and a thorough cleaning, its feeding perfectly without firing it. The bullet enters the chamber and pops right up out of the magazine. I'll get to the range in the next day or two and post an update.

My only issue now is the slide feels a lot more difficult to pull back once the hammer has been released. It slides easily if the hammer is cocked. I don't remember it being that difficult before, but I didn't use it much so I might be imagining things. I'm concerned that there might not be enough blowback pressure to properly cycle it. I guess the range will give me my answer.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    That is perfectly normal. Sounds like your little Buckmark is back on the highway!

Actually, she's still not working all that well. I took it to the range and loaded it up. Still jamming. I fiddled with the magazines a little and still the same problem. I thought, "What the hell. Maybe Freestate has a Buckmark gunsmith available." I asked, and they did. His name is Bob. Outstanding guy!!

First, I bought a new magazine from them and it jammed on every round. Bob seemed to take it personally that the new magazine was worse than the old ones, so he took into the "back room" and onto the range. After firing some known working ammo, he says to replace the recoil spring. So, it's back to Brownells I go.

Here is a photo taken today of the round getting stuck.

20140115_163634.jpg

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Sometimes on the BM mags the rounds will not feed into the mag cleanly and it will seem like they are dragging on the inside of the mag. Usually the sign of a magazine problem. Because I have lots of them I just drop those in a box to work on later. Happened to 1 or 2 out of 15. To competition shooters mags are a disposable item. Once it has had a problem that can't be fixed by the rare cleaning they may as well go in the trash because you will never trust that one again. You will see shooters that have numbers or identifiers on their mags. This is so if one has a problem in a match you can toss it back in your range bag (or trash as some do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom