• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archi

Vote or die trying
    Jan 9, 2012
    Hello all. This is the world’s most belated introduction as I’ve been a lurking member for years. Candidly, I haven’t had much to offer to the discussion so I’ve just lurked. I have learned a ton from all of you and I really appreciate that … thank you!

So I live in Bel Air. For many years I’ve suggested to my wife that we should have guns in the house and we should both be trained in their use (we have no kids in the house). Several years ago she relented … probably due to influences from friends and family who agree with my position. She and I have both received training and have firearms in the house. I’ve taken a lot more training than her but her training is ample to ‘alone’ self-defense in our home.

Over a year ago I started the process to secure a Wear and Carry Permit and I was approved by the HPRB in May. My G&S included the targeting of executives by Al Qaeda (in their Inspire magazine) along with some unique dangerous-ish aspects of my job and the OPM hack of my clearance info. The MSP did not contest the HPRB’s reversal but it’s now stuck with an AAG who is ‘reviewing’ a bunch of HPRB decisions…with no projected completion date. I’ve described this process to my wife as my new hobby.

I have been a supporter of MSI, the SAF and the NRA. MSI has clearly been pursuing our fight here in Maryland; the SAF seems to have been quite aggressive in their pursuit of 2A cases; and the NRA … well … I just want to keep their membership numbers at redline so they can do what they do.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Al Qaeda says you're a target but an AAG isn't sure. Yeah, that's Marylandistan. And Utah would give you a permit in a few weeks.

Welcome aboard.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Welcome, Archi. Glad you finally signed up here.

The MSP did not contest the HPRB’s reversal but it’s now stuck with an AAG who is ‘reviewing’ a bunch of HPRB decisions…with no projected completion date.

I had no idea the AG's office could put a check on HPRB decisions, much less an open ended one. I wonder what percentage of the reversals are being put in this new administrative limbo.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome.

No , not the most belated Introduction, I've never done one .

But by all means once you've finally broken the ice now, stick around and join the conversations.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile ; Did you recieve a letter from the Board yet ? Or is this the "Review" that takes place after the Board formally approves their written decision, but before the letters go out in the Mail ?

Once the letters arrive to you and MSP , the 30 day clock starts for either party to Appeal.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome, from Dundalk!
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT] Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]P[/FONT]lease consider donating to help [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Fight Maryland's HQ[FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT]

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Welcome. Glad you pursued and obtained your permit - oh wait . . . Do not hesitate to contact the Board and make an inquiry. By law the Board has 90 days to hold a hearing or review. That rarely happens, and there is no recourse, but once the Board does issue a decision it shouldn't take another 90 days to issue the letter. If the AAG/staff attorney for the Board can't keep up maybe somebody could figure out a way to lessen the number of appeals :rolleyes:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Hello all. This is the world’s most belated introduction as I’ve been a lurking member for years. Candidly, I haven’t had much to offer to the discussion so I’ve just lurked. I have learned a ton from all of you and I really appreciate that … thank you!

So I live in Bel Air. For many years I’ve suggested to my wife that we should have guns in the house and we should both be trained in their use (we have no kids in the house). Several years ago she relented … probably due to influences from friends and family who agree with my position. She and I have both received training and have firearms in the house. I’ve taken a lot more training than her but her training is ample to ‘alone’ self-defense in our home.

Over a year ago I started the process to secure a Wear and Carry Permit and I was approved by the HPRB in May. My G&S included the targeting of executives by Al Qaeda (in their Inspire magazine) along with some unique dangerous-ish aspects of my job and the OPM hack of my clearance info. The MSP did not contest the HPRB’s reversal but it’s now stuck with an AAG who is ‘reviewing’ a bunch of HPRB decisions…with no projected completion date. I’ve described this process to my wife as my new hobby.

I have been a supporter of MSI, the SAF and the NRA. MSI has clearly been pursuing our fight here in Maryland; the SAF seems to have been quite aggressive in their pursuit of 2A cases; and the NRA … well … I just want to keep their membership numbers at redline so they can do what they do.
    Get an Attorney, plenty of capable ones on the forum. IANAL but I have read numerous posts where a writ of mandamus (sp?) can be filed to get the government to stop stalling. Really is ridiculous when there is a process and the board has made its decision that the government again thinks that they can play games.

As far as I know the AAG is not part of the process officially at all the Governor has the absolute authority to order his state police superintendent to honor the boards decision and issue your permit. Sadly, Hogan has refused to step up in this manner in any instance.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Welcome. Glad you pursued and obtained your permit - oh wait . . . Do not hesitate to contact the Board and make an inquiry. By law the Board has 90 days to hold a hearing or review. That rarely happens, and there is no recourse, but once the Board does issue a decision it shouldn't take another 90 days to issue the letter. If the AAG/staff attorney for the Board can't keep up maybe somebody could figure out a way to lessen the number of appeals :rolleyes:
    Where in the law does it say that the board letter must be reviewed by the AAG prior to being sent out?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    OP, welcome to the maddness. I came here when I bought my first firearm in 2009 and learned ton of great information. Now, I know it all! ;)

Yes, it is great first post.

Welcome.

No , not the most belated Introduction, I've never done one .

But by all means once you've finally broken the ice now, stick around and join the conversations.

Welcome :lol2:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Where in the law does it say that the board letter must be reviewed by the AAG prior to being sent out?

I agree, that's complete BS; there is no such review. I'd be offering my attourney double his regular rate to jam that down MSPLD's throat. If I were one of the few attourneys that specialize in MD firearms law I'd be jumping at the chance to do it pro bono.

Archi

Vote or die trying
    Jan 9, 2012
    Meanwhile ; Did you recieve a letter from the Board yet ? Or is this the "Review" that takes place after the Board formally approves their written decision, but before the letters go out in the Mail ?

Once the letters arrive to you and MSP , the 30 day clock starts for either party to Appeal.
    No letter yet. I'm told that this is the AAG's review of the letter. Samiyah, at the HPRB, has been excellent at getting back to me with updates. She said that the Board has "several" decision letters in Draft, undergoing review by an Assistant Attorney General. She inquired how soon they will be complete and, at this time, there was no update. Also ...

Samiyah says that the MSP appeal window has already taken place. There was an initial 30-day wait after the vote during which -- again, according to Samiyah -- the MSP could have objected.

BTW, I loved your post about the world-record for the oldest introduction ... 12,798 posts later! :lol:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    No letter yet. I'm told that this is the AAG's review of the letter. Samiyah, at the HPRB, has been excellent at getting back to me with updates. She said that the Board has "several" decision letters in Draft, undergoing review by an Assistant Attorney General. She inquired how soon they will be complete and, at this time, there was no update. Also ...

Samiyah says that the MSP appeal window has already taken place. There was an initial 30-day wait after the vote during which -- again, according to Samiyah -- the MSP could have objected.

BTW, I loved your post about the world-record for the oldest introduction ... 12,798 posts later! :lol:

BS! MSP is required by COMAR to issue at the instruction of HPRB and the AG has no place at all in the process. Again ... you are being railroaded by folks outside the legal process.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Does said Review take place ? Yes.

Is said Review required by Statute or COMAR? No
    Welcome to Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member