• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I called yesterday to check the status of my permit, and was told its in the "final stage" and I should get a decision next week. Much more polite on the other end of the line this call, I hope that's a good sign. My application date was Oct. 11.

Hang tight, they'll send a letter. When you go to pick up, I don't suggest playing parking meter roulette with anything less than an one hour, maybe even more. Took me one hour, and I was only customer. Another customer arrived 30 minutes later and was not even acknowledged until finished with me. If you waste some $$ on too much meter time, consider it a blessing.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    I called yesterday to check the status of my permit, and was told its in the "final stage" and I should get a decision next week. Much more polite on the other end of the line this call, I hope that's a good sign. My application date was Oct. 11.
    When I phoned them last week they said to expect a letter by the end of this week. Now they say next week.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I called Ofc. King's number last Thursday and was transferred over to where Lt. Hall was. I told Lt. Hall that I have my license and was trying to convince a few other persons to apply. I just called to get a clarification on something. I informed him of what Ofc. King told me, that they wouldn't accept any training that's more than 2 years old and that included my DD214. Lt. Hall then said that applicants can submit the training anyway and let them decide on whether or not to accept it.:facepalm:

That's code for "we will deny everything you submit that is not expressly spelled out by the law. So go ahead and waste your time sending in a request for a waiver, it will only delay you getting an approved permit."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That’s my read as well. Ambiguity in the statute and regs helps them, not us. I got out of the Army in 1971. I fully expect to be denied based on the 2 year requirement on training, even though I don’t think that was the legislative intent.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012

Well next week came and went with no contact from DC, the wait continues.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    11/1/17 - Application submitted.

2/12/18 - preliminary approval letter received. Cited that my 16 hours of classroom and 2 hours of range time weren’t sufficient and needed to be completed with a DC certified instructor. Enclosed a list of about 20 instructors I could call.

2/15/18 - Called and spoke with “Senior Officer King”. He again told me my training was “not sufficient” with no justification therefor. I pushed back and told me he’d call me back. Called me back and said he’d reviewed my file and my 16 hour classroom was fine (it was fine for UT, FL, VA, and MD, mind you). Said I’d need to furnish proof of 2 hours of range time firing 50 rounds. I asked which form I’d need to submit and he told me to contact Leon Spears (which is hilarious because SPO King, as a cop, should be able to tell me that information). I told him I have the range qual form I supplied to MSP for my W&C application. He told me to send it by email and he’d “take a look.”

2/15/18 - SPO King emailed me back saying I was “good to go” and my CCW would be mailed to me. I replied asking when that would be, being as how I was at the 115 day mark. Emailed me back without answering the question saying “Your license will be mailed to you.”

Gotta love the MPD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I called Ofc. King's number last Thursday and was transferred over to where Lt. Hall was. I told Lt. Hall that I have my license and was trying to convince a few other persons to apply. I just called to get a clarification on something. I informed him of what Ofc. King told me, that they wouldn't accept any training that's more than 2 years old and that included my DD214. Lt. Hall then said that applicants can submit the training anyway and let them decide on whether or not to accept it.:facepalm:

If they decline and say your training isn't good enough, can you cancel and get your money back?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I’m one of those awaiting approval on a DD214 that I received in 1971. Based on what I’ve read here I expect a denial despite the fact that the DC regs state that a DD 214 is an acceptable form of training with no time limit mentioned.

I am not optimistic

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I’m one of those awaiting approval on a DD214 that I received in 1971. Based on what I’ve read here I expect a denial despite the fact that the DC regs state that a DD 214 is an acceptable form of training with no time limit mentioned.

I am not optimistic

How long have you been waiting

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Submitted my app last November. Got a letter yesterday saying I was preliminarily approved but needed to submit proof of 2 hrs of range training. It wasn't checked off on my certificate, I guess the instructor thought it was included in the 16 hr training requirement. Called this morning & was told that does need to be checked on the form, & so I mailed a copy with the box checked off per their instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom