• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EAB

Mar 5, 2013
    Guess I need to start watching the little dogs closely when I let them out at night...... I knew we had foxes around Box Hill, now these things are being reported too.

I'm in Village of Bynum Run. I've not actually seen one yet, but the evidence is pretty clear. My wife has relatives in Phoenix. They let their small dog out for a few minutes one night before retiring. 'Yotes got it that fast.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I'm in Village of Bynum Run. I've not actually seen one yet, but the evidence is pretty clear. My wife has relatives in Phoenix. They let their small dog out for a few minutes one night before retiring. 'Yotes got it that fast.

Not trying to be smart but Phoenix, MD?

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Coyotes Report-Abingdon MD, near Abingdon Rd and Philadelphia Rd
    I see coyotes behind my house on a regular basis. They won't come in close like the fox will do, but they do come within rifle range (no more than 150 yards). I have told the neighbors to watch their yappy dogs and younger children. I would hope the coyotes will never come close to the houses, but if they do, it could get ugly very quickly.

I love near here. Never seen any 'yotes but have seen several Gray Foxes.

jbrown50

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2014
    DC
    I saw some coyotes on Fort Meade while doing some work there back in 2010 - 2011. It was two adults moving their cubs. That's Anne Arundel County IIRC.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Well, do some of you know any farmers/ farm owners in the area? I caught my 1st coyote this last season in the Aberdeen area, plus 12 red foxes, same farm. I need more farms to trap though. I literally make a living with the furs I catch.

Attachments

• 1stcoyotea.jpg
      1stcoyotea.jpg
      192.2 KB · Views: 297

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon
    No coyotes yet in the wilds of Columbia that I've seen. But it was entertaining this morning to watch my resident fox grab a rabbit out of my garden and chow down on it while I was eating breakfast. He's gotten pretty brazen over the past few weeks, not limiting his hunting to the hours around dawn or dusk. Maybe this year's garden won't be a salad bar for small furry creatures.

If you know where Lightning View and Thunderhill meet I work at the old Columbia Medical Plan building. I have seen three there over the last year when I have been working at night.

plinkerton

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2012
    Abingdon

I've also seen them in Owings Mills. We don't let Ms Plinkerton's yap dog out without my Australian Cattle Dog.

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Saw one on a agricultural plot off of River road near the old red sandstone quarry two years ago. During deer season I could hear them howling at sunset while in my treestand. Natural Resources wants to hear about sightings as they are plotting them.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yotes seem to be pretty well established in Harford Co. now. I've spoken to farmers on the perryman penninsula a few yrs ago and they would talk about being in the tractors at night and seeing coyotes at the field edges. Not far from where the op saw his.

Indeed they are well established in Harford County and they have been for decades. They are established in every county in MD including Baltimore City.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Yotes seem to be pretty well established in Harford Co. now. I've spoken to farmers on the perryman penninsula a few yrs ago and they would talk about being in the tractors at night and seeing coyotes at the field edges. Not far from where the op saw his.

I live on the Perryman peninsula. They are here. I see them EVERY time I make a late night run to Taco Bell or Walmart.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Spotted several this year off DogHouse rd. In security Blvd area where I hunt that were not there last year. Game camera also capturing them. I have seen them in Harford county at farm off Hess rd. Where I keep our horse's For past 2 years tho.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Well, do some of you know any farmers/ farm owners in the area? I caught my 1st coyote this last season in the Aberdeen area, plus 12 red foxes, same farm. I need more farms to trap though. I literally make a living with the furs I catch.

Have you ever caught a grey fox in MD?

I recall DNR used to say greys were more common in MD than yotes

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I live between Rt 7 and the railroad. It would seem the fox and coyotes are sticking to this area. Seeing all of the rabbits in your area would be about right. They're going to go to an area that the fox and coyotes won't go.

Rabbit stew is a mighty fine meal.
    Ive live just outside of rock state park for about 10 years. My experience has been in years witha yote running around, we tend to see far more rabbits, and far less foxes. When someone whacks the yote, we see less rabbits and more foxes. This year in particular we have a ton of rabbits again. I have only seen 1 or 2 foxes in the last 6 months and Ive seen the yote twice in the last week. Just lost a rooster and a duck to something last night, and im betting it was him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Have you ever caught a grey fox in MD?

I recall DNR used to say greys were more common in MD than yotes

Greys are more common in certain areas, like the bay coastline forests and eastern shore swampy stuff from what I gather, and in the mountains in western MD. They like thickly wooded stuff and swamps, but also run farmland as long as they have that habitat nearby. I know there are a lot of them in Middle River, and behind the Home Depot in Abingdon I think it is. My neighbor works at some place behind there and says he has seen grey foxes many times.

I would LOVE someplace local to trap greys at, they are really cool foxes. Where I lived before, there weren't very many. I caught one here and there and always at the same places. There were some in the neighbor's woods somewhere and would come up to my place now and then. I caught some in my traps. There was a hotspot in Shrewsbury PA, but a bunch of them kept getting hit on the roads and then there seemed to be less of them. I caught some of them on one farm in that area.

The farm I trapped last season had reds and coyotes leaving prints nearly side by side, I was in awe. Coyotes like to kill foxes, so it was odd. There was also a feral cat back there for months, it's tracks near the yote tracks too! For a couple weeks I saw a set of tracks a couple times that were fox-like with the claw marks, but smaller like a house cat. They looked like really small red fox tracks, but were different. I haven't seen a positive grey fox track in a while, but these seemed to say "grey fox?". I didn't catch whatever it was though. I was sooooo hoping it was a grey and would run where my sets were and get snagged. I didn't set right on all these tracks as it would turn into mud pies with every rain, and deer ran through there every night and would have set my traps off over and over.

Attachments

• foxgreyfeb1605.jpg
      foxgreyfeb1605.jpg
      107.8 KB · Views: 174

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Greys are more common in certain areas, like the bay coastline forests and eastern shore swampy stuff from what I gather, and in the mountains in western MD. They like thickly wooded stuff and swamps, but also run farmland as long as they have that habitat nearby. I know there are a lot of them in Middle River, and behind the Home Depot in Abingdon I think it is. My neighbor works at some place behind there and says he has seen grey foxes many times.

Exactly describes the habitat where I grew up on the Eastern Shore, but in 35+ years there I only saw one grey one time back in the early '70's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom