Is Mossberg Legal For Sale Across State Lines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I was looking at a Mossberg 500 pistol grip and I noticed the box it comes in says it is not to be sold to anyone out of state (or some similar wording). Does anyone know if that is an accurate statement? What is the legal basis for that even being printed on the box. I can't remember seeing that wording on any other gun box I have ever seen.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I saw it in West Virginia at a gun store. He had no issue with selling it to me if I wanted to buy. So should I assume the wording on the box referred only to face-to-face sales between non FFL's? I thought all firearm sales over state lines required an FFL so I was confused as to why this had that specific wording on the box but I have never noticed that on rifle boxes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I saw it in West Virginia at a gun store. He had no issue with selling it to me if I wanted to buy. So should I assume the wording on the box referred only to face-to-face sales between non FFL's? I thought all firearm sales over state lines required an FFL so I was confused as to why this had that specific wording on the box but I have never noticed that on rifle boxes.

What specific wording on the rifle box. Simply put, if the guy was a dealer, he could sell you an un-regulated firearm in West Virginia. If it was a regulated firearm, which it would be a regulated firearm if it was the:

(xxx) Mossberg model 500 Bullpup assault shotgun;

then it must be shipped to Maryland and the transfer paperwork must be done here.

If it is a face to face transaction of an un-regulated firearm between two residents of different states, then it has to go through an FFL.

I will also say this, your description of the situation is extremely lacking in facts.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    rifles and shotguns can be sold by a ffl to residents of other states where those rifles and shotguns are legal. the ffl must follow the laws of his state and the buyer's state.

shotguns and rifles are both defined in federal law. both include in their definitions words about having a stock meant to be fired from the shoulder.

pistol grip shotguns dont have a stock and are not meant to be fired from the shoulder. a 1919 is a rifle without a shoulder stock (tripod) and not meant to be fired from the shoulder. so by definition they are neither a shotgun or rifle. they fall into the generic catagory of "firearm".

while "rifles" and "shotguns" meeting the legal definition may be sold by a ffl across state lines, a generic "firearm" may not be.

all generic "firearm"s and pistols can only cross state lines by way of sale from ffl to ffl. not ffl to individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom