• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks like a hard freeze coming up Thursday night. Hopefully that helps with the midge/blue tongue situation. Though not sure if it’ll freeze on Delmarva. Also Outriddrr, 30’ up a tree? Dang. Climber? So far as much guts as I can work up is about 20’ up and that seems REALLY high to me.

I am hoping to get out after work Monday afternoon if the weather looks okay.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Congrats to the wife!

I was fortunate enough to dart a doe yesterday as well. Almost straight down shot(14yds, 30' up in a tree), took out her aorta. Ran 80yds in about 3 seconds. Sat in a tree in mom's back yard. Not so much hunting, as grocery shopping.
    Nice! We are about groceries mostly. but not opposed to shooting a nice buck.

Congrats to her. Now when are you going to keep up your side of the bargain? :innocent0
    ? I already shot my doe;)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Looks like a hard freeze coming up Thursday night. Hopefully that helps with the midge/blue tongue situation. Though not sure if it’ll freeze on Delmarva. Also Outriddrr, 30’ up a tree? Dang. Climber? So far as much guts as I can work up is about 20’ up and that seems REALLY high to me.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. The highest I've ever been in a tree has been 20 feet. But hey, if he's got the shooting lanes that high up, I can't see anything wrong with it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Yup! 30 feet up. Climber. I've been going that high for a good many years now, especially when bow hunting. When you use a climber, that usually means you are in a tall, straight trunked tree with little to no branches to hide you. Ladder stands are different, as well as hang-ons(which I don't like) in that, you don't need a bare trunk to hang them on. You can hang or lean them amidst the tree branches to help hide your 'blob' in the tree.

Took this guy at 19yds after calling him in from 60yds. with a can bleat. One roll was all it took. He came stomping in on a rope. A little background to this deer. I passed on him earlier this week(my vacation ended today), but I thought to myself, if he shows up at the end of the week and I haven't shot anything yet(buckwise), I would have a go at him. That never works out that way, until today. I am very grateful to have him. I will split him with the farmer who lets me hunt his land(18 years now). Lots of yummy burger and backstraps.

Attachments

• 9point2.jpg
      9point2.jpg
      129.7 KB · Views: 187

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    Took this guy at 19yds after calling him in from 60yds. with a can bleat. One roll was all it took. He came stomping in on a rope. A little background to this deer. I passed on him earlier this week(my vacation ended today), but I thought to myself, if he shows up at the end of the week and I haven't shot anything yet(buckwise), I would have a go at him. That never works out that way, until today. I am very grateful to have him. I will split him with the farmer who lets me hunt his land(18 years now). Lots of yummy burger and backstraps.

NICE congrats. Splitting the meat with the farmer, old school. Probably just one of the reasons you have been hunting there so long.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Yup! 30 feet up. Climber. I've been going that high for a good many years now, especially when bow hunting. When you use a climber, that usually means you are in a tall, straight trunked tree with little to no branches to hide you. Ladder stands are different, as well as hang-ons(which I don't like) in that, you don't need a bare trunk to hang them on. You can hang or lean them amidst the tree branches to help hide your 'blob' in the tree.

Well done!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

Nice buck Outrider. Heavy horned sumgun. Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom