• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hunting season doesn't work. All the retards make the deer nocturnal.

You need to shoot them on permits in the summer

You and 44man need to meet the right hunters/killers. I know 44man has pretty much the same gripe as you when it comes to "hunters". The problem is finding the good ones. Once you find the good ones and establish a relationship, then things change. However, it takes effort on both parties. You have to be willing to meet with these people before hunting season and explain to them what you expect from them and that they will not be allowed to hunt there if they do not meet those expectations. If you guys were within an hour's drive of me, I would promise you some help, but with my schedule being so busy with work and the kids, making that drive on a consistent basis just isn't going to happen until my 5 year old gets a little older. At that point, I'd have the ability to provide 3 deer hunters on a regular basis, weekends permitting.

Inigoes is a good guy and I am pretty sure he would be able to help down that way.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wrong

You can add or change shooters at any time.

How many of you gung ho hunters are going to sit in a tree stand with a shotgun during June July August when they are eating all the beans and half the corn?

This is true. I have been added to existing lists, but only if the list has an empty slot. I don't think they(those who control these) add spots. The individual lists are finite AFAIK.

There are a few avid CD hunters on this board. I know. I've met them. They kill the sh!t outta deer, year round. Being good at what they do, they stay busy and aren't looking for more work.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Wrong

You can add or change shooters at any time.

How many of you gung ho hunters are going to sit in a tree stand with a shotgun during June July August when they are eating all the beans and half the corn?

I'm only going by what they tell me on my permit. Perhaps the DNR guy or gal that does your permit does things differently.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For all those people who want to hunt on farms my recommendation is to reexamine your priorities. If your only interest is to gain permission so you can hunt for your enjoyment they will see through like a pane of glass. If on the other hand you want to learn about farming and farm life and you do things like go to farm shows and join and support farm organizations, become true friends with farmers and understand their problems and are in effect a farmer without land. Then you will have many enjoyable experiences in life some of which may involve hunting.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    For all those people who want to hunt on farms my recommendation is to reexamine your priorities. If your only interest is to gain permission so you can hunt for your enjoyment they will see through like a pane of glass. If on the other hand you want to learn about farming and farm life and you do things like go to farm shows and join and support farm organizations, become true friends with farmers and understand their problems and are in effect a farmer without land. Then you will have many enjoyable experiences in life some of which may involve hunting.

Good idea. I've learned this through osmosis and much time spent on farms helping out. To anyone who is lucky enough to gain access to a private farm to hunt, don't just show up on opening day and disappear at the end of the season. Stop in from time to time and show your interest and get to know the land owner. Hang out and ask a lot of questions. I've known guys who start hanging around on farms before even asking for permission to hunt. Do you have any skills that a farmer can use? Electrical, mechanical, etc? Start out by maybe asking if they have any groundhogs they'd like to get rid of. Anything, no matter the size of the task, is one more thing the farmer doesn't have to do.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Good idea. I've learned this through osmosis and much time spent on farms helping out. To anyone who is lucky enough to gain access to a private farm to hunt, don't just show up on opening day and disappear at the end of the season. Stop in from time to time and show your interest and get to know the land owner. Hang out and ask a lot of questions. I've known guys who start hanging around on farms before even asking for permission to hunt. Do you have any skills that a farmer can use? Electrical, mechanical, etc? Start out by maybe asking if they have any groundhogs they'd like to get rid of. Anything, no matter the size of the task, is one more thing the farmer doesn't have to do.

That's how I got to hunt a lot of property in Maine that others got turned away from.

There was a place I always used to park my car to hunt. One night, I got a note on the window asking me to park by a different field cause he didn't like people to park there. He left an address on the note. I stopped by and apologized and helped him finish a fence he was fixing.

Next day, I saw some of his cows had got out of the pasture and were wandering all up and down the road. I went by his place and told him and we went out and rounded them all up.

I got my ass chewed for being late to work but I had a great place to hunt and made a great friend.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's how I got to hunt a lot of property in Maine that others got turned away from.

There was a place I always used to park my car to hunt. One night, I got a note on the window asking me to park by a different field cause he didn't like people to park there. He left an address on the note. I stopped by and apologized and helped him finish a fence he was fixing.

Next day, I saw some of his cows had got out of the pasture and were wandering all up and down the road. I went by his place and told him and we went out and rounded them all up.

I got my ass chewed for being late to work but I had a great place to hunt and made a great friend.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Clearing invasive species from woods can be a big help. Honeysuckle shrub can spread rapidly in just a couple years, its thick in some spots I hunt in MD. It has to be cut and the stump sprayed with Roundup within 30 seconds after cutting or it will grow back worse than before it was cut. Its PITA work but can help a landowner save hardwood areas and helps make clearer shooting areas around stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom