• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Just bought first gun, SA XD 9mm. In addition to a basic cleaning kit, what gun oil is recommended by this experienced group? What other basic supplies are recommended?

Any non-corrosive oil—including motor oil or mineral oil—is fine. If you've got something rare or keep the gun in an especially humid environment, consider placing it in an oily plastic bag. Anyroads, don't overthink it. This isn't rocket science and you're not dealing with medical grade test equipment or a Swiss watch movement. Just keep the gun clean and oiled and you'll be fine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One caveat to not overcleaning, if you have metal on the exterior of your pistol, after every use, wipe it down with an oily cloth to remove fingerprint residue.

Fingerprint residue is very corrosive. If you do not wipe down, you will get rusty fingerprints.

For longer term storage, I use BirchWood Casey Sheath or Barricade to wipe it down.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    Ohhhhhh Noooooooo ! Not so soon again

Massively oversimplified:

Cleaner/ lubricant / protectant is inherently an over reach . Have *somthing* to clean, AND * somthing* to lubricate . Until you are contemplating long term storage, or extremely corrosive environments, don't worry about Preservatives beyond light coating of ( lubricant of you choice).

Meanwhile, Dawnad seems well equipped. Anything not already listed is either trivial, or very niche for situations probably not run across soon.

Except , no mention of a holster . Even if you don't think you need a holster, you need at least a very basic holster .

Holsters for even semi-serious carry are a subject ( of much vigorous debate) in itself . But for most basic " just because ", the basic nylon holsters from Uncle Mike and Blackhawk are both very inexpensive ( think $20-ish) , and well made examples of their type .

Yep... forgot to mention the holster. I got a very basic holster (to store the gun in the safe, not for CCW, which is a process I haven't begun), but am intrigued by the idea of a nice kydex holster. Plastic gun (glock)... plastic holster. Makes sense! Ha!

Ballistol is an all around light oil. Also have a Hoppes no. 9 gun cleaning set (brushes, pads, and hoppes) headed my way.

Remaining things on MY list:

Decent trauma kit. IMO all but mandatory for the ol' range bag. Israeli bandage, tourniquet, etc. Any suggestions appreciated.

Regular place to shoot. Currently soliciting advice on Twelfth Precinct and Berwyn Rod and Gun Club. Any advice appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    A Rule of Thumb might be helpful for you...

If it SLIDES use GREASE, If it ROTATES use OIL...

That formula has worked well for me for 56 years...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What type of holster?

Do NOT store a firearm in a leather holster. Nylon or other synthetic would be OK.

I use gun rugs or soft cases. I will spray the fleece with something like RemOil or silicone spray to help protect the firearm.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a shotgun I got from a friend that was almost destroyed because it was left in a soft gun case. And don't store your new pistol in any holster, even kydex. You have a single-gun safe, it should have foam on the bottom. That's sufficient. Just a light coat of oil on that slide and exposed parts of the barrel should be sufficient.

Drawnad

Aug 9, 2017
    Edgewater, MD
    What type of holster?

Do NOT store a firearm in a leather holster. Nylon or other synthetic would be OK.

I use gun rugs or soft cases. I will spray the fleece with something like RemOil or silicone spray to help protect the firearm.

Pinecone -- holder is a "Sticky Holster" from here:

https://stickyholsters.com

The idea for the "need" for a holster came from my HQL class -- better to leave it in a holster in the safe. If I am grabbing it in the middle of the night less chance of me putting my "booger hook on the bang switch."

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I clean mine after every shooting session, but I don't scrub the day lights out of it so much to hurt the pistol. I've used good old hoppes 9 for over 25 years. Just tried a foaming cleaner recently and was suspicious because it was to easy lol

My first 5906 9mm still looks and shoots like it was bought yesterday. My son will inherit it one day.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom