• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’m striking out with 2 vendors, apparently they have plenty of business and don’t need/want mine.

I’m looking for a trusted builder who can provide a high-quality, complete, vintage CAR-15 XM177 HBAR upper build. It would have the 11.5” HBAR barrel with the correct PW flash hider, grenade ring, tear drop assist, triangular Handguard (round would work), etc. , etc.

??

Thank you

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Tony has not responded this week....he is 1 of the 2 I contacted....

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Talk to Brian at south Carroll sporting goods. He's an ip here and he does ar work. Not sure if he does vintage repro but worth a shot. Great guy.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ thanks, I’ll try them, I’m aware of the original Handguard, just wanted to be a little different. I suspect the HBAR will require round handguards anyway. Thanks

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Contact John Thomas and see what he can do. RetroArmsWorks.com. He cut down a 16 barrel for me and welded on a pete's customs faux moderator for me. He was pretty busy lately when I contacted him about some retro stuff. But he knows a lot about the Retro ARs, etc.

Here's 15 minutes of me describing my XM177E2 approach. I hope you can suffer through it LOL. I'm not very dynamic in my speech and the video quality is not as good as my latest.

https://youtu.be/3TYGnD4ButQ

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^ thank you very much. John T. Emailed me and said she can do all the work to built the complete upper (to put on my Colt lower) but I need to provide all the parts minus the moderator and grenade ring. I ... guess... I would be best served trying to find a lightly used complete Colt/etc. HBAR 16” upper and sending to him, as I don’t think I’m up to finding all the piece parts for a complete upper and hope everything is ok and works together. Now where to find one.......thanks.....

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    ^^ thank you very much. John T. Emailed me and said she can do all the work to built the complete upper (to put on my Colt lower) but I need to provide all the parts minus the moderator and grenade ring. I ... guess... I would be best served trying to find a lightly used complete Colt/etc. HBAR 16” upper and sending to him, as I don’t think I’m up to finding all the piece parts for a complete upper and hope everything is ok and works together. Now where to find one.......thanks.....

You would need to send him the muzzle device of your choosing to have him weld it on unless you will do this somewhere else. In MD you need to have a 16 barrel or it must be an SBR or be building a pistol. I don't know how long is too long for a pistol barrel, personally. That's if you don't have a manufacturer's license.

Check out retrorifles.com. They have faux moderators and rings that I think look better than the Tony's replica moderator I used. I think the other parts aren't too hard to find then you can get it all done together. Sure it will be an a la carte price for each service but it gets the job done. I just recently found a 16" HBAR at Midway recently too. If you got the barrel done, you could get it installed around here locally easy enough.

I'm hoping you can find the stuff and get it done. If I were to do it again(or maybe at a later date) I might make a pistol and use the non grenade ring moderator and modify the carbine buttstock to clamp onto a pistol buffer tube like a brace. Then I could have sort of a XM177 with the slick side upper and 10.5" barrel with no weld.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    ^^. Thanks, John T stated that he would supply the retro moderator and grenade ring, cut, crown and thread a longer barrel for a LOA of 16”. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom