• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I have decided to purchase a rifle, but am having a hard time deciding which one so I'm looking for advice. Heres what I'm looking for, in order of importance.

Most important:
    • MD Legal - Obviously
    • Reasonably accurate - (2 MOA or better, or say < 6" groups at 300 yds, obviously more accurate is better)
    • Very Reliable
    • Semi-auto

Strongly preferred:
    • 7.62 - will consider 5.56 if I can't get what I'm looking for in 7.62
    • Available with 10 rd magazine, but accepts 20 rd mags I can purchase out of state (I'd prefer not to purchase the rifle out of state, but will if that's the only way)
    • Readily available (don't want to wait 6 months - looking to buy in next 2-3 weeks)
    • Reasonably priced (Under $1,800 preferred, lower cost is obviously better, but willing to spend more if necessary)

Preferred, but optional:
    • Not terribly difficult to clean
    • Threaded, or able to be threaded without extreme regulatory difficulty
    • Readily available and reasonably priced mags

What's my best bet?

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    Pick yourself out a nice AR 10 and go for it. It meets all of your requirements, its cash and carry, semi, and available at a few of our IPs I would think. Someone can drop more specific info about the platform I'm sure, but seems to be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Good luck to you.

Wendigo

Hungry
    Mar 31, 2013
    Reisterstown
    Lowest cost rifle that meets all criteria is an SKS. And with the budget you posted you can pay for a lot of ammo and range/training fees.

Or check out Ruger's SR762. I haven't had the chance to shoot one yet but it sure looks sweet!

xdmdude

Oct 1, 2011
    I say go for a nice ar 10. You certainly have a lot of options that meet your criteria. Happy shopping.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    frankly, I'd put up the extra 600 bucks and get a Scar Heavy.

It's INCREDIBLY accurate for what it is, incredibly reliable, and quite light, as well as ergonomic and modular.

If this is going to be your one rifle, I'd definitely go with the SCAR

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Then again, the Ruger SR7.62 is also getting incredible reviews.

It's an AR-10, but with a piston gas system that keeps all the crud out of the action, making it much more inherently reliable as well as helping it run cooler. It's also very very accurate, shooting about 1 MOA if you believe the reports. Everything in it is chrome lined and chrome plated- Bolt carrier, piston system, barrel, everything- and it's a hammer forged barrel. The gun is also MUCH cheaper, and can be purchased out of state. It also comes with 20 round mags, and not just any mags, but PMAGS!

Go with the SR762

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    oh, the ruger also comes to market at a retail of about 1750 bucks, the mags are easy to come by since they are Pmags and are used by many other .308 systems, and it's easy to clean because of all the chromed internals, as well as the fact that the piston system keeps you from even really needing to clean the gun that often, since most of the detritus will end up staying up in front of the piston head.

blodter

Aug 28, 2013
    Hagerstown, MD
    Smith & Wesson M&P 10

I don't own one myself, but I have heard nothing but fantastic things about it - plus, it sells for a fantastic price and has Smith & Wesson's lifetime warranty.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    So im taking it a AR 10 is still legal in md? I was under the impression that all look a copycat guns of AR were banned.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Smith & Wesson M&P 10

I don't own one myself, but I have heard nothing but fantastic things about it - plus, it sells for a fantastic price and has Smith & Wesson's lifetime warranty.

I have one and they are great guns. I prefer the POF but the S&W has the greatest feature that all AR's should have....ambi bolt catch/release. Not sure why they all don't have that.

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    That is good news to my ears! Cant you still buy just a lower?

You can still by a 80% Lower and finish it into an HBAR. A non-HBAR is outright illegal (from what I know). There is/was still a lot of talk about this on the site so someone please flame on if I am wrong.

If it's your first I would suggest getting an S&W AR-10 and being "done" with it. You will have a RTR and be able to "play." When you get into it, which you will - someone likened them to Tribbles - get an 80 and build your own.

Jradack

Dec 12, 2013
    Somd
    What about the fn fnar? I heard good things about it and it's supposed to be very accurate. I saw palmetto had had in sale for $799.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom