• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Open Carry vs Concealed Carry

• Total voters

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    And your statement suggests you've never been military. You KNOW what displaying a weapon means in the military. I think that using that kind of suggestion in Target or Wal Mart is idiotic. I actually find it offensive when I'm standing next to people open carrying when my kids are around. My kids can field strip a 1911 in a few minutes and they're taught that the presence of a weapon is for a reason and ONLY for a reason and when those reasons aren't present the firearm stays away. Sorry that I'm not insecure enough to need to walk around with something extra visible.

Wasn't calling you idiotic - I was calling the need to open carry in a grocery store idiotic. Concealed carry is for a purpose, open carry is trying to make a point. I don't believe that we need to make that point in a civilized society. My opinion.

And let me follow up - I have open
    carried in many situations. I open carry when I'm far away from any back up. When I'm in a city however, I respect the rights of others. Many in towns/cities don't like guns. I'm not going to push my beliefs on them if I can simply keep it under cover and out of sight. It's simple and polite. You and I like guns, I want those rights. Others don't. If you don't put the gun in their face, chances are you can keep your rights.

I'm active duty. I'm around weapons all day. I think nothing of it. But I do realize that when I go out shopping, the woman with her kid behind me might not find my weapons so amusing. It's called living in a society. Everyone compromises and we all get along. I don't want the left taking my guns away, but then I'm required not to push my guns in their faces. If you want to keep your rights, don't make your rights an issue for others if you can help it. It's not hard to put a shirt over my .45.

Food for thought, if you truly are a "gun packing liberal". Substitute "Gays", "Interracial Marriage" or "any religion not predominant in your area" for "guns" in your above statements about your "rights" and the "rights" of others and see how it sounds.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    First, no matter how things change, there will Always be some one who is freaked out by the sight of a gun and could cause a scene for lack of a Better Term.

And when that happens and the cops come, the correct action is for them to detain and question that freaked-out someone for trying to violate your rights, rather than detain and harass you for exercising yours.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    I think the option is best.
    I can see use for both, and support same, mostly for comfort during "outdoorsy" kinds of activities. The rest of the time, CC would be fine by me.

... I respect the rights of others. Many in towns/cities don't like guns. I'm not going to push my beliefs on them if...

They should respect your rights in the same manner.:rolleyes:

I really could care less that others are "afraid" of guns, as I did nothing to cause that.

Some people are afraid of dogs. Should you not walk your dog on a city street because of that?

Personally, I have a completely irrational fear of ducks and/or geese:o. Kill 'em all so's I won't be afraid:gun3::gun7::gun2:...

matt.ruszala

Jan 31, 2012
    NorthEast Baltimore City
    Concealed!!

I thought this would be an interesting converstation based on everyone's personal preferences. Open carry or concealed carry and explain why you prefer to carry in that manner.

I prefer concealed cause I can maintain the just another guy spending time with the family and not draw attention. Maintaining the OSH@# factor if I need to use it is a bonus. I honestly don’t want my handgun to be the first thing multiple assailants go for if I am bum rushed.

No point in drawing attention to yourself.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Well, I really can't say since I've never carried outside of the range. I would expect the same for most here.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I agree with others that I would want the option of either. However, for most situations, I will prefer concealed; don't want to draw attention to myself nor give my hand away. Would always want any potential adversary not to know;

a. IF I'm armed, that is, I MAY be armed, nor

b. WHAT I'm armed with

My opinion is that concealed is always best for most situations and will be for the time it takes for the average citizen to come to grips with an armed society. For those out west, say Arizona or Wyoming, that has probably already occurred, but for those here in NY, PA, Maryland and the eastern suburbias, that will take some time. If we force it on them they will reject it out of fear of change. If they are given a dose of armed citizens over time they will learn to accept it IMHO

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, I really can't say since I've never carried outside of the range. I would expect the same for most here.

I carry frequently when we travel. Proably 95% CC, just for simplcity.

My wife is now considering the same, and is QUITE fond of the "Is she, or isn't she?" concept of "Constitutional Carry".

The security is really in the uncertainty of a BG knowing whether you're armed or not.

OEH

Nov 18, 2010
    29B
    Question regarding the "keep 'em guessing" theory of concealed carry only - if that's the best approach why aren't all LEO's undercover? Wouldn't that fall into the theory that all crooks would wonder who was a cop and never rob a 7-11?

I'd like to see the option available for both forms of carry.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Question regarding the "keep 'em guessing" theory of concealed carry only - if that's the best approach why aren't all LEO's undercover? Wouldn't that fall into the theory that all crooks would wonder who was a cop and never rob a 7-11?

I'd like to see the option available for both forms of carry.

Law enforcement is a whole different ball of wax. I will carry for personal protection. CCW laws are not about turning everyone into LEOs. I also would like the option of both carry methods.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    I prefer concealed carry as a courtesy to criminals. It makes their workday much more interesting and exciting when they don't know who's armed. Who wouldn't want a more interesting job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom