• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    She's upset about lenient treatment of felons but wants to work for the NFL?

There are more drug users working in your local school district. At least the NFL conducts mandatory drug tests and has a personal conduct clause. Teachers in your child's school could be coke heads on the weekends.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I don't agree. I see the full spectrum of people getting light or no sentences for guilty convictions. The only real justice and accountability in the system is usually administrative law judges. Basically our country is seeing a shift away from sentencing and accountability.

My bad. My plea for the "little guy" was not meant to argue for criminal defense specifically. It was meant - though not well expressed - to note that the full force of the government's legal apparatus tends to overwhelm any single citizen who may suffer oppression from the legal bureaucracy. A virtual army of lawyers stands to grind down the individual, whose resources are far from equivalent to those the government can bring ro bear.

Even large corporations are intimidated into settling suits brought against them by the government, paying millions of dollars merely to avoid further depradation by the government and its regulators.

Administrative law judges are a force unto themselves. They are unelected, not responsive to the citizenry, and operate in a legal sphere where they cannot be opposed by any legal mechanism. I don't see any accountability there, at all.

In retrospect, my post probably doesn't belong in this thread at all, so apologies for the derailment.

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    On her way out, she decides to criticize the justice system. GREAT. When she first realized the problem, and it could have been recently, why didn't she speak out and try to help fix it? This would not be an attack on LEOs, it would be on the system. You cant tell me she didn't have the connections to make some sort of a stand.

As she leaves she slings mud. Kinda sound like sour grapes.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    She isn't wrong.

The police are expected to play psych Dr., deal with juveniles that the parent ('s left off intentionally) won't/can't control, and then the actual criminals. Parts of society and the courts have allowed "minor crimes" from being prosecuted and are actually pushing for these minor crimes not to be arrested. Maryland adds more and more "society" crimes each year that the police can not arrest for yet folks want all these minor crimes enforced as soon as it ends up on their corner or in their neighborhood.

I personally think the police, judges, and states attorneys need far more accountability. If the case is Nolle Pros then it should be posted for the public with a reason why. Sometimes the it's just that the burden for conviction isn't there and that's fine it's part of the legal system. But if it's because the police messed it it should be on them to fix their office. If it's the judge is a liberal 5th chance giver then the public needs to know this as eventually they are up for reelection/appointment. If it's the State Attorney wanting to get their case load over and pulled their conviction rate that needs to be addressed. If we need more judges/states attorneys to handle the amount of cases then let us get started on that.

The police do carry the burden of the legal system failure and it's an unjust appointment in the majority of cases.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are more drug users working in your local school district. At least the NFL conducts mandatory drug tests and has a personal conduct clause. Teachers in your child's school could be coke heads on the weekends.

So felon has to equal drug user?

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    She isn't wrong.

The police are expected to play psych Dr., deal with juveniles that the parent ('s left off intentionally) won't/can't control, and then the actual criminals. Parts of society and the courts have allowed "minor crimes" from being prosecuted and are actually pushing for these minor crimes not to be arrested. Maryland adds more and more "society" crimes each year that the police can not arrest for yet folks want all these minor crimes enforced as soon as it ends up on their corner or in their neighborhood.

I personally think the police, judges, and states attorneys need far more accountability. If the case is Nolle Pros then it should be posted for the public with a reason why. Sometimes the it's just that the burden for conviction isn't there and that's fine it's part of the legal system. But if it's because the police messed it it should be on them to fix their office. If it's the judge is a liberal 5th chance giver then the public needs to know this as eventually they are up for reelection/appointment. If it's the State Attorney wanting to get their case load over and pulled their conviction rate that needs to be addressed. If we need more judges/states attorneys to handle the amount of cases then let us get started on that.

The police do carry the burden of the legal system failure and it's an unjust appointment in the majority of cases.

ABSO friggin LUTELY sir!:thumbsup:

Except I don't see this being a LEO issue by and large. LEO's by and large tend to capably handle their part of the process. A large part of what we see with today's subsequent catch and release? When it comes to the "prosecutors" and "judges", we typically don't even have a clue in hell regarding just exactly who the hell they are. The recognition piece is largely non-existent. And you can bet your ass they want and like it just exactly that way.

Enough of today's reality of the man or the woman "behind the curtain." High time that "the judge" and "the prosecutor" have names assigned. Which would be an absolute prerequisite to them then being charted and measured. Which would in turn mean there's at least some possibility, however remote but given the establishment of identity, of some trailing sense of accountability. That accountability has to exist for there to be ANY possibility that tomorrow can look like something other than the complete circus we too often see today.

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    Sadly she is actually right about this. The catch and release and lighter pleas are disgusting. If I punch you in the face and steal your iphone the "system" is allowing you to plea to simple assault and theft 2 (both Misd cases) instead of Robbery.

Stab your brother and when it's all said and done , if you even get convicted, its of simple assault and ATTEMPT possession of a prohibited weapon (don't get hung up on that term prohibited.)

you have to have 2-3 felony convictions before anything really happens to you in this city. before I left my last Unit I was working with another .GOV agency and we were sort of tracking a guy who hadn't charged his GPS device (on probation for robbery) in 2 months yet his probation hadn't been revoked.

Police take the blunt of the blame for you all aren't doing this or that but we can only complete our jobs when the other agencies complete theirs and sadly there has been a lack of attention on that. Half the time when people are released on probation/Pre-trial the addresses they provide aren't even verified. I've dealt with cases where defendants have provided addresses of houses that have been vacant for 20 years and the other .gov agencies will use that as their address. I'm sure these other agencies are over worked and understaffed as well be these critical errors lead to serious monitoring problems.

Coupled with the fact that Depart of Youth Rehabilitation Services (DYRS) can essentially release respondents (juvenile defendants).

Please don't take this analogy as UN-PC but police are the citys garbage men and what the city does with the garbage after we drop it off is up to them. I 100% don't mean that all arrestees are garbage, that wouldn't be a fair statement. A lot of good people get caught up in poor situations. I am just using that as an analogy.

Well said. I'd be curious to hear your perspectives on how the US Attorney's role in prosecuting felony cases plays into the situation, given that DC is unique in this regard.

I'd also add that the MPD officers and leadership that I've talked with in 5D share your concerns, not surprisingly. There seems to be quite a bit of agreement among my neighbors as well about this problem.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    So felon has to equal drug user?

Well one kicks a ball down a grass field, the other spends 6 hours in direct contact with minor children and is responsible for their education. How many times have we heard of school teachers sexually abusing students, administrators and teachers embezzling and stealing school funds or property or physically assaulting students. It's actually a common occurrence but teachers don't have 10 million dollar employment contracts at 21 years of age like NFL players do. The truth is, why do we hold these athletes to a higher standard then we hold our teachers?

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Cathy Lanier: Your options are run, hide, or fight. I'd have appreciated a little more clarity as to that last option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom