Where can I learn more about which shotgun to purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    I've googled around and just managed to get myself more overwhelmed by options.

I understand that mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the Ford vs. Chevy competitors in the pump category, and sort of the "standard" that many people choose to start with. The price point is certainly attractive.

I think I want a semi-auto. I do recognize the significant expense of moving to this option.

Interested in shooting trap, but also consider it as a home defense option. I guess I am looking for versatility as a second to reliability.

I'm sorta dialed into the Remington versamax and benelli m4......but found my way to those options accidentally.

Is there is good resource, or local IP that specializes in shotguns and can lend some guidance?

I've always thought is would be nice for AGC (or some other entity) to host a show and tell, (shoot and tell?), where members could bring out their shotguns, people show up and peruse them, ask their owners about them, maybe test fire them, and get more informed and generally become more familiar with them. Even a holster show and tell would be beneficial so that people could get more educated on the options out there, rather than ending up with a box of trial and error. Surprised no one is throwing pizza parties and doing this already.....I would think it would draw a ton of people (and create sales opportunities for the host).

I went down the same road with my handgun.....my ultimate desire is a single handgun, single carbine, and a single shotgun.....and to become deeply proficient with each. It took me 3 handguns to finally settle in to the right one for me. Now I'm going through the same thing with night sight options for it.....

Thanks in advance for the guidance. This has been a very helpful site.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I think that show and tell idea is a good one. I'll bring it up to the powers that be at the AGC and see what happens. I know some of the clubs have done that in the past but it would be nice to have an event as a whole at the AGC.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Study what is out there.
    Ask many questions
    Go to a gun show and fondle every shotgun you see
    Visit a local range and test fire a few........

Then go and buy yourself an 870 and kick yourself for wasting so much time. :)

grb

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2010
    MT. Airy, Md
    Where do you live? I have a Remington 870, a Remington 1100, a Mossberg 500 and a Browning Citori. Welcome to come to our club any Thursday evening and shoot trap with any or all of them and see what trips your trigger. :D

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Study what is out there.
    Ask many questions
    Go to a gun show and fondle every shotgun you see
    Visit a local range and test fire a few........

Then go and buy yourself an 870 and kick yourself for wasting so much time. :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Interested in shooting trap, but also consider it as a home defense option. I guess I am looking for versatility as a second to reliability.

I'm no expert by any means. That said, here's my opinion, FWIW.

You're talking about two different tools for two different purposes.

I have a Mossberg 500 for HD. I bought it specifically for that purpose. It's shorter than a shotgun made for hunting and competition. That makes it easier to handle in close quarters. (Moving around corners, down hallways, on stairs, etc.)

It's like an insurance policy, in that I pray that I NEVER have to use it for it's intended purpose.

OTOH, I have a Remington Model 11 (1929) that was my dad's. (Avid hunter in his younger years) I would love to really try my hand at trap and skeet, (tried it a little bit and liked it), and maybe even duck or goose hunting, some day - when I get the time. And that would be a great gun for it.

For the little that I've shot it, it's never given me a problem.

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    Where do you live? I have a Remington 870, a Remington 1100, a Mossberg 500 and a Browning Citori. Welcome to come to our club any Thursday evening and shoot trap with any or all of them and see what trips your trigger. :D

I am in Ellicott city.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You surely wont enjoy yourself shooting trap or any clay sports with a Benelli M4, all of it's 18" barrel, and pistol grip. I've tried it with something else, along with those big tall goofy ghost ring sights; it doesn't happen.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I would suggest hitting up the public trap event at the AGC on Sat/Sun noon-4pm! When I used to volunteer there, we always had a lot of new shooters who stopped in and the guys let them try their shotguns!

Or, as was said before, get the Remington 870 and never look back!

jcrusselljr

Aug 28, 2011
    I would suggest hitting up the public trap event at the AGC on Sat/Sun noon-4pm! When I used to volunteer there, we always had a lot of new shooters who stopped in and the guys let them try their shotguns!

Or, as was said before, get the Remington 870 and never look back!

The 870 and mossberg 500 would be easy to pick up, since they're not very expensive......I just fear having "extra" shotguns laying around once I buy the "right" one.

I think I should try and stop by and nose around to see what people are shooting.....

I read somewhere, and agree with, the philosophy of "buy the best, and cry only once". ;-)

Now I just need to figure out what "best" means for me.......

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    As said there is a show and tell, it is called MDShooters. In my experience members have been over generous to meet me at the range to shoot their high dollar guns. I pay for their ticket which IIRC is $6. Does AGC do rentals? That is another option. I do not always shoot clays, but when I do I shoot at PG.;)

Honestly after trying some very fine firearms, I am sticking with my 870. Most of the higher end guns are arguably better in ALL possible ways, but they are only marginally better. IMHO that does not make up for the price gap. With the 870 there are significantly more options to fit the gun to you for a reasonable price. In example my 870 has the fore end I want, under $10, recoil absorbing stock $100, sights $20, and it is absolutely perfect for me to learn on. At the end of the day my buddies are hurting in the shoulder. I am fine, for another 5 rounds, thank you recoil reducing stock. Benelli has something very similar in their shotguns. Doubles on sporting clay do pose a challenge, but not impossible.

The other factor is the difference in my scores has very little to do with the gun, rather the loose nut behind the butt needs more practice.

Good luck. You are doing your research and will find your shotgun.:thumbsup:

t0tln00b

Jul 3, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Not sure where you are located but PG county Trap and Skeet facility rents shotguns. There is also a "learn to shoot" class every other Saturday. Don't over look the NRA classes either - at the basic shotgun I went to, they had about 20 different ones. And they stressed that HD shotguns (with shorter barrels) make poor trap/skeet guns. Heck,when you get good enough, trap guns suck for skeet too...or so I hear, since I will probably never get that good lol

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I've googled around and just managed to get myself more overwhelmed by options.

I understand that mossberg 500 and Remington 870 are the Ford vs. Chevy competitors in the pump category, and sort of the "standard" that many people choose to start with. The price point is certainly attractive.

I think I want a semi-auto. I do recognize the significant expense of moving to this option.

I'm sorta dialed into the Remington versamax and benelli m4......but found my way to those options accidentally.

Is there is good resource, or local IP that specializes in shotguns and can lend some guidance?

I've always thought is would be nice for AGC (or some other entity) to host a show and tell, (shoot and tell?), where members could bring out their shotguns, people show up and peruse them, ask their owners about them, maybe test fire them, and get more informed and generally become more familiar with them. Even a holster show and tell would be beneficial so that people could get more educated on the options out there, rather than ending up with a box of trial and error. Surprised no one is throwing pizza parties and doing this already.....I would think it would draw a ton of people (and create sales opportunities for the host).

I went down the same road with my handgun.....my ultimate desire is a single handgun, single carbine, and a single shotgun.....and to become deeply proficient with each. It took me 3 handguns to finally settle in to the right one for me. Now I'm going through the same thing with night sight options for it.....

Thanks in advance for the guidance. This has been a very helpful site.

Trap and home defense are really mutually exclusive. A good auto such as a Beretta 391 is good for all the clay games, especially it you get one with an adjustable comb and rib and a 30"-34" barrel. Another option is the Fabarms XLR.
    The above guns however, are not HD guns. The longer barrels make them unweildy among other things. And it may be just me, but I would not fire buckshot or HD rounds out of my trap/clays gun.
    That being said, you can certainly shoot trap/clays with a shorter Benelli or Remington semi-auto although it is not an ideal situation.
    As far as pumps go, shooting doubles in the clay sports is pretty tough with a pump if you go that route, although again it can be done.

Maybe another option is an Over/Under. A 30" Beretta Silver Pigeon would not be that bad a HD gun.

It really depends on how serious you are going to be about clays. They are addictive. If you want to meet a Loch Raven sometime I can let you shoot some O/Us. I got rid of my semi-autos and pumps. I keep a 26" barrel skeet gun with 1-1/4oz of 7-1/2 shot handy for HD. May not be ideal, but it'll do the job at close range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom