• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Globetruck

Mar 22, 2013
    I was going to live in near Severna Park. Not any more.
    -------------------------------------------

Dear Governor,

I am an active duty USAF officer in the process of relocating to Andrews AFB MD. I wanted to express my thanks for your crystal-clear policies that helped my family determine that it's in our best academic, social, financial, and safety interests to relocate to Virginia.

First item: I've been around the world, feverishly working to restore order in weak and failing states such as Kosovo, Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Sadly, Prince George's County's inability to govern and provide essential safety or educational services ranks right alongside the likes of Somalia and Afghanistan. But I'm willing to concede that you are already keenly aware of PG County's woes and I won't bore you with additional details.

Second item: gun control. I applaud you for the inclusion of mental health checks and stronger background checks. But the rest of SB 211 contains so many ill-worded sections that I honestly cannot determine whether or not my family's weapons are consistent with your laws. I don't own a single military-style semiautomatic rifle. But unfortunately for me and many others, SB 211 uses imprecise terminology such as "copycat" and "assault" weapons that any zealous prosecutor could reasonably use to describe nearly any semiautomatic pistol ever manufactured. Furthermore, your new handgun licensing requirements do not permit my family members (who are not legally MD residents) to use our existing guns -- or to put things in that pesky Constitutional terminology, military spouses and family members can no longer bear arms in the "Free State" of Maryland because they are not eligible to receive a pistol license in your state. Nor are they eligible for concealed carry permits.

Regrettably, I staunchly refuse to jeopardize my family's safety or my position as a Lieutenant Colonel in the USAF on the basis of an ill-conceived law that introduces the very real threat that accidental and unintentional disregard will result in the unknowing commission of serious felonies. For instance, the misuse of "assault" and "copycat" weapons are now considered serious criminal offenses. What happens if my wife (non-MD resident) transports a grandfathered 12 round magazine to the local shooting range? What happens if I shoot a home invader using your undefined "restricted firearms ammunition?" Am I now a felon? I have no desire to find out.

I hope that you and your staff will take the time to reflect upon the consequences of your legislation. Do your policies encourage the right people to call Maryland home? Do your policies encourage middle-class families to purchase homes in PG County? Lets be brutally honest. Your policies actively discourage a lot of well-educated, stable,Constitution-loving, and financially secure people from calling Maryland home. Now I know why most of my peers at Andrews AFB choose to call Virginia their home.

Sincerely,
    Justin A. Riddle, Lt Col, USAF

Thank you for your service.

Dear Governor,

I am an active duty USAF officer in the process of relocating to Andrews AFB MD. I wanted to express my thanks for your crystal-clear policies that helped my family determine that it's in our best academic, social, financial, and safety interests to relocate to Virginia.

Ultimate Member

Dear Governor,

First item: I've been around the world, feverishly working to restore order in weak and failing states such as Kosovo, Bosnia, Somalia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Sadly, Prince George's County's inability to govern and provide essential safety or educational services ranks right alongside the likes of Somalia and Afghanistan. But I'm willing to concede that you are already keenly aware of PG County's woes and I won't bore you with additional details.

Second item: gun control. I applaud you for the inclusion of mental health checks and stronger background checks. But the rest of SB 211 contains so many ill-worded sections that I honestly cannot determine whether or not my family's weapons are consistent with your laws. I don't own a single military-style semiautomatic rifle. But unfortunately for me and many others, SB 211 uses imprecise terminology such as "copycat" and "assault" weapons that any zealous prosecutor could reasonably use to describe nearly any semiautomatic pistol ever manufactured. Furthermore, your new handgun licensing requirements do not permit my family members (who are not legally MD residents) to use our existing guns -- or to put things in that pesky Constitutional terminology, military spouses and family members can no longer bear arms in the "Free State" of Maryland because they are not eligible to receive a pistol license in your state. Nor are they eligible for concealed carry permits.

Regrettably, I staunchly refuse to jeopardize my family's safety or my position as a Lieutenant Colonel in the USAF on the basis of an ill-conceived law that introduces the very real threat that accidental and unintentional disregard will result in the unknowing commission of serious felonies. For instance, the misuse of "assault" and "copycat" weapons are now considered serious criminal offenses. What happens if my wife (non-MD resident) transports a grandfathered 12 round magazine to the local shooting range? What happens if I shoot a home invader using your undefined "restricted firearms ammunition?" Am I now a felon? I have no desire to find out.

I hope that you and your staff will take the time to reflect upon the consequences of your legislation. Do your policies encourage the right people to call Maryland home? Do your policies encourage middle-class families to purchase homes in PG County? Lets be brutally honest. Your policies actively discourage a lot of well-educated, stable,Constitution-loving, and financially secure people from calling Maryland home. Now I know why most of my peers at Andrews AFB choose to call Virginia their home.

Sincerely,
    Justin A. Riddle, Lt Col, USAF

I wrote him a few letters, but did not get a response.

I hope you can change his mind, but it is not likely.

Thank you for your service and effort.

I think we can win this in the courts.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    Welcome to MDShooters, and enjoy Andrews AFB, you're better off in Virginia anyways, I made the mistake and bought a house in Maryland and have regretted it ever since.

Bob Lee $wagger

Roll Tide
    Jan 5, 2013
    Orange Beach, Alabama
    Welcome to the People's Republic of Maryland. Virginia would be a much better choice.......they love guns (open or conceal carry) and don't sh!t all over the Constitution like we do here in the "free" state. Thank You for your service.

MD Designated Collector
    Utah non-resident CCW.....good in 30+ states but not in the People's Republic of Maryland.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    What is particularly annoying is how our POS Governor and Liar-in-Chief keep using the phrase "common sense" to describe to their bull$hi+ foisted gun grabs. There is a reason they are using this terminology. Our Americanized dictionary of choice defines the phrase as "sound and prudent judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts". If you engage what is commonly referred to here as LIBTARDS about their so-called gun control stance, that is PRECISELY what you will get from them if you focus on the 'simple perception' and not the 'sound and prudent'. As soon as you scratch beneath the surface of their arguments, they fall apart as would any argument with a foundation built on faulty assumptions that fly in the face of documented fact.

Every other sentence out of OweMalleable's and Hobama's mouths parrot this same phrase. At their level, however, it is not without premeditation and intent. It is basically their official blessing and promotion for looking at a dynamic and complex constitutional question and applying a faux-occam's razor=> kids got killed by bullets fired from gun, therefore gun and bullets are bad and need to be banned. They know very well their constituency is made up of people either too dumb to comprehend the philosophical debates that birthed the 2nd amendment OR smart enough to willfully disregard them and promote their agenda with what at cusory glance might appear to be a suitable response.

Look at the 60's simplified shouted slogans- "give peace a chance" "make love not war" "war is not the answer" etc. as if no circumstances or acts of aggression ever demand a military response and anyone that supports one is a bloodthisty warmonger.

The reality is that gun bans have been tried before many times and the results are typically that natural rights are eroded while crime flourishes. History has taught us hard lessons about what happens when governments remove the ability of their citizenry to defend their lives and those of their loved ones. It has also taught us what happens when you give in to tyrants and attempt to appease them by offering up the next guy's life and liberty in exchange for temporary "peace". By using the phrase "common sense" so consistently, they are taking away its original association with Thomas Paine and rewriting it into something used to strip us of rights they have no justification for infringing on. Goodbye US Constitution; it was nice knowing you while you lasted!

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Well said, sir. After correcting the SB number, would you please consider forwarding you letter to the local newspapers? Though i doubt seriously if they would print an opposing view, its worth a try. Thank you, snakep

pecormd

Mar 8, 2013
    Thank you sir for both your service and your opinion. It seems here in the State of Maryland our voices have fallen on deaf ears. I know many of my active duty & retired brothers and sisters feel that it is a slap in the face. To have the very rights that we have served to protect and defend. Taken from us by our own citizens on our home soil. Let's keep up the fight. Never give up never surrender.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Welcome Colonel and thank you for your service. Maryland's loss and Virginia's gain. Our legislature won't care. They do not want intelligent people, constitution loving, people here...just tax payers to fund the non-working, leaches.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    Thank you sir for your service. Thank you for such a well written and reasoned response to this travesty of a bill. Unfortunately, the Governor cares not about reason, safety, or attracting upstanding middle class families to Maryland. He is singularly focused on advancing his political career to the national stage. I am happy that you are in the process of moving to the DMV area and can make an informed decision about what is best for you and your family.

On a personal note this is the first time that I realized military spouses may not be eligible to obtain a handgun permit (since they are not MD residents). If this is the case, this will be unworkable. I am also active duty military and have a husband who is an avid sportsman. Unfortunately, we recently bought a house and relocation would be complicated and expensive.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Well said. Unfortunately, he and his cohorts won't care. Thank you for your service. If you have to drive through Maryland, fill up in VA first. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom