MSP now considers SBR's w/req min 29" OA length as Pistols? WTH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Local shop that I bought a factory SBR from, and that we had to swap stocks onto meet Maryland's 29" overall minimum, advises that as of last week MSP says SBR's are pistols. So an HQL is required plus a 7 day wait after getting tax stamps from ATF? WTH?

Wasn't this always the case in recent years? I thought if you were buying an SBR it had to be on the handgun roster, but you could do a Form 1 and build your own and the roster was irrelevant. Either way, you'll find this crazy ass stuff only in MD.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Apparently my firearm is in the nebulous unicorn zone - simultaneously a pistol and a rifle. How can anyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders demand a pistol have a minimum length of 29"?
    Maybe they think it's sounds like a pistol when fired? Lol

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    As stated before, I feel my >29" AR SBR was a waste of time and money. Last year, I built a 24" AR pistol with far less hoops to go through.
    I will not waste the time and effort on a SBR until I'm an American citizen again.

With the ATF's revised stance on "braces" you are probably right. My purchase, stock swap, and tax stamp application came before that.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    So my factory SBR isn't on the Handgun Roster either. The more I think about it Maryland's ridiculous and inconsistent registration scheme is an incentive to build a 24" ghost gun pistol and just bypass all the illogical crap!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Have MSP SOP's been updated in the last 3 years? Your info comes on the heels of the MSP releasing a bulletin about 10+ capacity magazines.
    No worries, they will update them soon. They are waiting on all the "new" MDS members/trolls to finish discussing/pointing out loopholes so they know what to administratively ban in the next SOP.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    What is this "unofficial" info you speak of and where can it be found?

This might be a major thread derail but i'm going to answer anyway. A PIA request was filed at the end of April that asked for the in use SOP. the vague response from MSP-LD was the the SOP requested was "under review" and that "by policy was not releasable"

I'm currently in my 7 day way to pick up my factory SBR that my stamp came in for Tuesday last week. Did not realize that this was necessary on top of the NFA wait period. Fortunately my wait for ATF wasn't that bad, April to October.

I thought I was being pranked when I was asked for my HQL. Considering I've been waiting since April, another week isn't a huge deal, and is out of my or the dealer's control so I'm trying not to be bothered by it. Unfortunately I don't do well with stupid, so it's still bugging me a bit.

I tell ya, it's a damn good thing I have this 7 day "cool down" period, who knows what I would have done if I didn't have the 7 additional days with the 6 months. :innocent0 :lol2:

hjc4604

Aug 1, 2009
    Sykesville
    As stated before, I feel my >29" AR SBR was a waste of time and money. Last year, I built a 24" AR pistol with far less hoops to go through.
    I will not waste the time and effort on a SBR until I'm an American citizen again.
    Move to Delaware, Pennsylvania or Virginia, whichever is closest to your current residence.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I had no idea buying a factory SBR was so screwed up. I think I would have bought the lower and upper separately and SBR'd the lower. Lot less hassle. I have not bought a complete factory SBR,so excuse my ignorance. I may or may not have SBR'd a few lowers prior to the 41F rule change.
    I guess the 7 day wait does not count doe SBS's?

ARinPG

Jan 12, 2016
    This is a good thing. If it was considered a rifle then by definition the gun would be banned under 2013 rules

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    no, a rifle has a barrel over 16" and is designed to be fired from the shoulder.

AN SBR is not a rifle.

FSA 2013 perverted the definition

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom