• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Well i know i teased a bunch of you guys with the glock we did in woodland over in the handgun section. So i thought i would tantalize a few of you over in the rifle section to be fair. These are four pics of the pieces we've done to date. Let me know what you folks think.

AK in marine digital
    Akindigital.jpg

AR in woodland
    WoodlandAR-15A2.jpg

H.E.R.A glock carbine upper
    HERAglockupper.jpg

Glock 22 w/serpa loc in woodland
    Woodlandglock22withholster.jpg

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I like them. I'm guessing that the dip involves floating the finish on top of the water and passing the piece through like the inside cover pages of fancy books? Got any pics of the actual process? The dipping would probably preclude me from putting this finish on my car.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I dont know why you bother...
    I'll meet you at your closest MSP barracks to take those ugly things off your hands. I don't want you going to a range with those things and cry yourself asleep at night because people picked on you.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Is this something you can do yourself?

Not really. I mean you can try if you want. That is how i got started after all. But the equipment to do it right is very expensive. Those personal dip kits you can buy use crappy film and chemicals and produce crappy results. Trust me...i've thrown plenty of money away finding out. The high quality films and good chemical are proprietary and under trademark licenses. You have to be certified by the company to even order there product. I have learned that if you want professional looking results you need a professional setup.
    We are in the process of ordering the tank and setting up a shop to do this professionally. Part of the reason for the posting this is to gauge you all's interest. I figure we could be up and running in about a month or two. Hope you folks can wait.

For those of you that think you just lay the film pattern on the water and dip it. You are very, very wrong. Its a 3 day process to do just one part and requires intensive preparation. Those you tube videos your all about to run off and watch. They leave "alot" out of those videos. I mean think about it. Is anyone going to go online and give away there trade secrets that easy. Probably not, considering what it costs to get into a business.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    I like them. I'm guessing that the dip involves floating the finish on top of the water and passing the piece through like the inside cover pages of fancy books? Got any pics of the actual process? The dipping would probably preclude me from putting this finish on my car.

You can put this finish on car parts. In fact this technology comes from the automotive industry. All those fancy car dashes that look like burled walnut are hydrographed. You can dip parts to look like carbon fiber, wood, or camo. We could do any part that will fit in our dip tank. We are also going to offer European deer head mounts camo dipped. Its all the rage now.
    images

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...We are also going to offer European deer head mounts camo dipped. Its all the rage now.
    images
    I've seen some of these down at Ray Hitchcock's shop. He has a variety of skulls done like this; deer, bear, pigs. Very cool looking for sure...not for me, but cool nonetheless.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    How durable is the finish I have some hotwheels that I would love to see some parts dipped in carbon fiber :)

Hotwheels? I hope your talking about your actual car and not toys. This process is not cheap.
    The finish is as good as the clear coat. The clear i use is for firearms specifically. It is dead flat with hardener. Very durable. Just remember that all finishes can be scratched.

May 13, 2005
    The examples you posted look great. What is the durability of the process to say, Duracoat? Also what is the projected cost?

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    The examples you posted look great. What is the durability of the process to say, Duracoat? Also what is the projected cost?
    Thank you for the compliment. The durability seems to be very good. I don't have any duracoated guns because i never have liked the pattern results that i've seen. Which is one of the things that led me down this road. The finish is automotive and have hardener in both the base and clear. We are currently working on the projected costs, all i can say for now is that we will be very competitive with the other company's doing this. Possibly even cheaper since were so close to most of you that we could avoid shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom