• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    anyone see the AP article on this (didn't see it on a news site just the wire) Delagate Dingleberry is doubling down. This bill will be brought up again next year and will pass , their was major support in the Senate for my version of this bill. Moms were mentioned as was the Patriot Bomber!!!!!

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    anyone see the AP article on this (didn't see it on a news site just the wire) Delagate Dingleberry is doubling down. This bill will be brought up again next year and will pass , their was major support in the Senate for my version of this bill. Moms were mentioned as was the Patriot Bomber!!!!!

She, like most extremists, lives in an echo chamber.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD

Link?

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    I just checked the records for her official campaign committee, the Committee to Elect Vanessa Atterbeary. I find it kinda surprising how little money moves these politicians around. Everytown has only donated to her once, in 2017, for $250.

I'll leave the link here in case anyone wants to do some perusing. I usually check the pols website at the bottom and that will disclose the name of the official campaign committee, you then type that into the search bar.

https://campaignfinance.maryland.gov/Public/ViewReceipts?theme=vista

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I just checked the records for her official campaign committee, the Committee to Elect Vanessa Atterbeary. I find it kinda surprising how little money moves these politicians around. Everytown has only donated to her once, in 2017, for $250.

I'll leave the link here in case anyone wants to do some perusing. I usually check the pols website at the bottom and that will disclose the name of the official campaign committee, you then type that into the search bar.

https://campaignfinance.maryland.gov/Public/ViewReceipts?theme=vista

Maybe she’ll whore herself out for $300 next year? How much for each vote?

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    If we wish to continue the conversation for next year, please meet me in the water cooler. Bring a bathing suit.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    The Washington Post picked up the AP story which also mentions the aerial banner (but no pic) ...

2 gun-control measures fail to pass in Maryland
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...899c34-5aef-11e9-98d4-844088d135f2_story.html

Two high-profile gun control measures died in the Maryland General Assembly after getting fervent support from mothers who wanted tighter access to firearms and fierce opposition from critics who flew their message with an airplane around the Maryland State House.

One measure would have required background checks anytime someone buys a rifle or shotgun. Supporters said it was needed to close a loophole in Maryland law enabling private sales of long guns without background checks.

“I’m incredibly disappointed. A lot of the moms were consistent in coming down and being very supportive,” said Del. Vanessa Atterbeary, a Democrat who said she planned to try again next year.

Supporters included Andrea Chamblee, the wife of John McNamara, one of the five employees killed by a man armed with a shotgun at the nearby Capital Gazette newspaper last year. The man charged with first-degree murder in the case obtained the gun legally. Supporters of the bill say someone who could not pass a background check could buy the same gun through a private sale with no questions asked.

Opponents, including the National Rifle Association, contended the measure would have made it harder for law-abiding gun owners to possess and transfer their property. Second Amendment advocates flew a message over the Maryland State House on Monday with an airplane pulling a banner.

“We will not comply! How about you Larry?” the banner read, in a reference to Gov. Larry Hogan.

Sen. Michael Hough, a Frederick County Republican, said there were big differences between measures approved in the House and Senate. He said the House bill went too far by regulating the transfer of antiques.

“It just didn’t make sense,” Hough said. “Are we really talking about regulating muskets?”

Hough said he supported a better bill that passed, sponsored by Baltimore Sen. Bill Ferguson, closing a loophole that makes it difficult to enforce illegal gun transfers. Current law doesn’t define what qualifies as a “transfer” of a gun, and courts have accepted the argument that the law does not apply to a loan.

“I think that bill is way more impactful than long guns,” Hough said.

A bill to ban 3D-printed gun blueprints and “ghost guns” also failed. The bill had been a priority of Democrats who control the General Assembly near the start of the legislative session in January.

Del. Kathleen Dumais, a Democrat who sponsored the bill, said it drew opposition from people who questioned why hobbyists who like to build guns shouldn’t be allowed to make them. A regulatory framework to put serial numbers on guns of that type proved to be a complicated and costly challenge in the waning days of the session.

“I’ll look at it over in the interim, and I certainly plan to introduce it again, because it’s a loophole that we need to address,” Dumais said.

[there's more reporting by Brian Witte of the AP on non-2A legislation that was up for consideration in Maryland if you follow the link above for the full story]

As Frogman said, they suggest that mothers in general were for the gun control legislation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

If UBCs are the only thing we have to worry about, bring it, I will sleep like a baby.

Next year they will be playing defense because the Supreme Court will have come out of hibernation.

Plus, you cant get bunch of people to donate money and protest over UBCs. To keep the dream and $$$ alive they (at some point) need to go full tilt gun ban. When they overplay their hand, we crush them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I am not disagreeing with this observation: Every year (except 2013) a lot seems to get proposed and very little gets passed. I cant decide whether Maryland has a culture of showboating, or if the anti-gun forces are really that weak. Most of the delegates seem to talk a huge anti-gun game but in the reality have little appetite for it. The question is: to what do we owe, this, and how can we harness it and go on offense.

This has been the fact for every year (including 2013) that I have been involved in Annapolis and standing for our rights.

Why did I include 2013?? Because, over the course of a month, the 2A community worked tirelessly with the members of not one, but two committees that were assigned as a joint committee on SB281. In the end, we had come to an agreement that they would scuttle the bill and rewrite it to produce 7 different work groups to study the 7 different parts of the Maryland State Statutes that SB281 sought to change. Yes, you read that right, they were going to scuttle the original bill and do something that made common sense.

That is, until the night before the committee vote, an emergency caucus meeting was called by Busch, Miller, and O'Malley, at which point they threatened every Democrat on the joint committee with their committee appointments, and the loss of all discressionary funding for their respective districts if they did not vote and pass the bill.

The were give 10 amendments that could be made to the bill (I may still have a marked up version with the notes in the margins), and further, Mike Miller sat in on the voting session in the House. WTeverlovingF was Mike Miller doing sitting in on a House Joint Committee vote, along with O'Malley sitting in the back room of the committee room.

No, they have no real appetite for this, unless it pushed by leadership and they are told, or threatened to vote for it.

We showed up in numbers never seen before, and while the Senate blew us off, the House certainly didn't. But since everyone figured that "numbers don't count for squat" after SB281 got passed, our numbers in Annapolis suffered over the last couple of years. This was the first year that more than the "die hards" have shown up and testified. We need to get those same folks back next year and have them bring friends.

And one other thing, the difference between us and the MOMs/MDPGV crew...Everyone that supports the 2A that shows up in Annapolis pretty much testifies, and we stay until the end. The opposition show up with their numbers (bussed in), have their two or three talking heads "testify" and then they all leave.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just read the MSI round-up on this session. Boy does it feel like Alice through the looking glass reading “big win” in the context of defeating anti-gun legislation in MD.

Thanks to MSI, PP, MSRPA, and other folks who gave up their time, stayed up late, took a vacation day or 2 to preserve our rights.

I donate $ and play keyboard commando with legislators, but that’s about it. I need to do better.

Might I suggest baby steps by showing up for a hearing or two next year, no need to testify if you don't want to but more faces supporting the 2A in the hearings, makes a big impression.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    T
    That is, until the night before the committee vote, an emergency caucus meeting was called by Busch, Miller, and O'Malley, at which point they threatened every Democrat on the joint committee with their committee appointments, and the loss of all discretionary funding for their respective districts if they did not vote and pass the bill.

No, they have no real appetite for this, unless it pushed by leadership and they are told, or threatened to vote for it.

From what I can tell, Miller cares only about his own power, not gun control. Guns didn't seem to be an obsession for Busch, either. O'Malley, OTOH, desperately needed the gun control win to jump-start his presidential campaign. Which leads to my question: What did O'Malley have to offer up in consideration for Miller and Busch to expend that level of political capital on a project that only really benefited O'Malley?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    From what I can tell, Miller cares only about his own power, not gun control. Guns didn't seem to be an obsession for Busch, either. O'Malley, OTOH, desperately needed the gun control win to jump-start his presidential campaign. Which leads to my question: What did O'Malley have to offer up in consideration for Miller and Busch to expend that level of political capital on a project that only really benefited O'Malley?

In the end, even O’Malley did not benefit from it.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Nothing that I am aware of other than under Miller and Busch, they were quite adept at keeping their party in lockstep, and this was the first time there had been any major "revolt" against any bill submitted by "The Governor of their party". That to them was unconscionable.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Nothing that I am aware of other than under Miller and Busch, they were quite adept at keeping their party in lockstep, and this was the first time there had been any major "revolt" against any bill submitted by "The Governor of their party". That to them was unconscionable.

What are your thoughts on the future now that Busch is no longer a factor? Is there anyone that can replace him that will have as strong an influence? I feel like this might not be the case (but I've only been in MD for 7 or 8 years now) given the sheer length of tenure Busch had within the MGA. Do they have anyone that can force the Dems to march lockstep in the future? Or is there a chance for outliers to split off on disastrous bills like the FSA2013?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    What are your thoughts on the future now that Busch is no longer a factor? Is there anyone that can replace him that will have as strong an influence? I feel like this might not be the case (but I've only been in MD for 7 or 8 years now) given the sheer length of tenure Busch had within the MGA. Do they have anyone that can force the Dems to march lockstep in the future? Or is there a chance for outliers to split off on disastrous bills like the FSA2013?

Given Mike & Mike's tenures, it is all unknown and unknowable at this time.

annuit coeptis

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    This has been the fact for every year (including 2013) that I have been involved in Annapolis and standing for our rights.

Why did I include 2013?? Because, over the course of a month, the 2A community worked tirelessly with the members of not one, but two committees that were assigned as a joint committee on SB281. In the end, we had come to an agreement that they would scuttle the bill and rewrite it to produce 7 different work groups to study the 7 different parts of the Maryland State Statutes that SB281 sought to change. Yes, you read that right, they were going to scuttle the original bill and do something that made common sense.

That is, until the night before the committee vote, an emergency caucus meeting was called by Busch, Miller, and O'Malley, at which point they threatened every Democrat on the joint committee with their committee appointments, and the loss of all discressionary funding for their respective districts if they did not vote and pass the bill.

The were give 10 amendments that could be made to the bill (I may still have a marked up version with the notes in the margins), and further, Mike Miller sat in on the voting session in the House. WTeverlovingF was Mike Miller doing sitting in on a House Joint Committee vote, along with O'Malley sitting in the back room of the committee room.

We showed up in numbers never seen before, and while the Senate blew us off, the House certainly didn't. But since everyone figured that "numbers don't count for squat" after SB281 got passed, our numbers in Annapolis suffered over the last couple of years. This was the first year that more than the "die hards" have shown up and testified. We need to get those same folks back next year and have them bring friends.

And one other thing, the difference between us and the MOMs/MDPGV crew...Everyone that supports the 2A that shows up in Annapolis pretty much testifies, and we stay until the end. The opposition show up with their numbers (bussed in), have their two or three talking heads "testify" and then they all leave.

I tell you I’m fired about at Atterbeary and Dumais and their line of thinking of “we’ll just introduce it again next year”. It is my personal mission to get a sit down with both of those gun grabbers and have a very blunt conversation with both of them about freedom and gov overreach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom