• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Model 91 rifle stocks had screws which held the escutcheon/sling plates in place.

The light colored wood splice on the end of the fore stock was installed so the steel nose cap could be re-attached.

It still has faint remnants of the five pointed star on the butt stock. Ivan almost sanded it away.

It should be noted that all pre-WW2 Mosin stocks originally had screwed in sling slots, and that includes the 91/30s as well. In fact, the five point star logo on the stock does mean it was made by Tula, but that logo was not used on the stocks until the 1930s IIRC.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Where the "leave it the hell alone" advice goes out the window is when Ivan's shellac job is so bad that the shellac is literally falling off in chunks onto the floor just from handling the rifle. Which, IMO, leaves you with (a minimum of) two basic choices. Leave Ivan's five-cent shellac job that looks like sh*t as is or carefully remove it and lightly oil (leaving the wood's character marks intact).

mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    Where the "leave it the hell alone" advice goes out the window is when Ivan's shellac job is so bad that the shellac is literally falling off in chunks onto the floor just from handling the rifle. Which, IMO, leaves you with (a minimum of) two basic choices. Leave Ivan's five-cent shellac job that looks like sh*t as is or carefully remove it and lightly oil (leaving the wood's character marks intact).

+1 totally agree. My shellac was coming off so bad that my daughter asked why my gun looked like crap. So I followed ihatedemlibz method and applied a nice coat of Danish oil after the formbys and now my 91/30 ex sniper looks like a completely different gun

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ok PICS you want This was a spare stock from AIM. Flakes when I handled it. Especially on the handguard I gently decosmo'd it in industrial oven at 130F Then I took amber shellac with DNA mixed I think 1:1, I lightly rubbed it in with a foam brush. This went onto my 1935 Tula hex which was my first 91/30
    The buttstock pic you can see the brush strokes kind of like you would see on the rearsenal stocks

Attachments

• image-680390287.jpg
      image-680390287.jpg
      31.6 KB · Views: 66
    • image-3339564799.jpg
      image-3339564799.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 69
    • image-1190572187.jpg
      image-1190572187.jpg
      29.9 KB · Views: 68
    • image-1734403148.jpg
      image-1734403148.jpg
      44.7 KB · Views: 68
    • image-2650532134.jpg
      image-2650532134.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 64

mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    ok pics

35jbgxt.jpg

Here is my 91/30 after the formbys with the first coat of "natural" Danish oil which I thought was too light

72anmx.jpg

Here is the next can up in color the medium......still too light for my taste

2i7vfow.jpg

Third and final coat. This was the dark walnut. Completely happy with how she turned out. Thanks again ih8demlibz

smoothebore

This is a Tula M44 I got from J&G. It had a few ugly scrapes and gouges I could live with, but when I cleaned the cosmo gently with mineral spirits, huge patches of shellac came off. I decided it was worse than needing touch-up, so I washed the stock with denatured alcohol. It took off the shellac and color, too. Then I applied two coats of BLO, a coat of alcohol based dye with red, and two more coats of BLO, followed by three coats of Tom's 1/3 mix. I love it. Purists be damned.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Mossy,

Just when I thought this thread died out, you just had to go and stir the pot again.

Looks Great.

I agree. The natural was too light.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is a Tula M44 I got from J&G. It had a few ugly scrapes and gouges I could live with, but when I cleaned the cosmo gently with mineral spirits, huge patches of shellac came off. I decided it was worse than needing touch-up, so I washed the stock with denatured alcohol. It took off the shellac and color, too. Then I applied two coats of BLO, a coat of alcohol based dye with red, and two more coats of BLO, followed by three coats of Tom's 1/3 mix. I love it. Purists be damned.

Holy crap.

It's total anarchy.

Poor Ivan is turning over in his grave right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom