• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Tried my hand for the first time at making sausage from the buck I harvested the other day. Here is a shot of the Italian sausage. I also tried snak sticks which are in the smoker now. I used the cabelas brand kits that have seasoning and casings, etc. they are pre made for 25 pounds. Being my fist shot at these, I did 5 pounds of each and prorated the mix. The Italian sausage smelled really good while I was stuffing the casings. It was a bit more time consuming than I anticipated. Hope it is worth the time.
    IMG_0695.jpg

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    aweome, report Pack how they are, I have the same sausage kit but haven't made it yet.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Well, I just pulled the first of the snack sticks from the smoker. The taste is great, but they are a bit on the dry side. I'm kinda new to using a smoker, so not sure if I left them in too long or what. The first ones I pulled out were on the bottom rack. I followed the temperature recommendation and time as close as possible. Maybe I should have rotated the racks while running the thing. I used 1 lb. ground pork to 4 lb. venison on these. Glad I didn't run 25 lbs. at once. They're not unusable, just dryer than I wanted.
    IMG_0696.jpg
    On the sausage I used 2 lbs. pork to 3 lbs. venison, so maybe they will be ok.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    When I do snack sticks, I twist every 12" or so and leave them connected. I then hang them in the vertical smoker and follow the directions, like you did. It gets easier over time but it's lots of prep work lol.

Do you use a remote thermometer? I bought one but have yet to use it on snack sticks.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Tried my hand for the first time at making sausage from the buck I harvested the other day. Here is a shot of the Italian sausage. I also tried snak sticks which are in the smoker now. I used the cabelas brand kits that have seasoning and casings, etc. they are pre made for 25 pounds. Being my fist shot at these, I did 5 pounds of each and prorated the mix. The Italian sausage smelled really good while I was stuffing the casings. It was a bit more time consuming than I anticipated. Hope it is worth the time.
    View attachment 188982

did you grind some fat up with the venison

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Well, I just pulled the first of the snack sticks from the smoker. The taste is great, but they are a bit on the dry side. I'm kinda new to using a smoker, so not sure if I left them in too long or what. The first ones I pulled out were on the bottom rack. I followed the temperature recommendation and time as close as possible. Maybe I should have rotated the racks while running the thing. I used 1 lb. ground pork to 4 lb. venison on these. Glad I didn't run 25 lbs. at once. They're not unusable, just dryer than I wanted.
    View attachment 188987
    On the sausage I used 2 lbs. pork to 3 lbs. venison, so maybe they will be ok.

The drier they are, the longer they will last.

The moisture is what induces spoilage.

And all of it looks damn yummy.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    did you grind some fat up with the venison

Italian sausage 3 lbs. venison & 2 lbs. ground pork.
    Snack Sticks 4 lbs. venison & 1 lb. ground pork.

I figured the sausage would be cast iron skillet cooked on the stovetop, so I added more pork. It looked and smelled good when stuffing the casings.
    My first attempt at both. :)

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Not to derail my own thread, but the wife made crock pot cheese steak (venison) subs. Man O Man, I wish she would have figured this out years ago!
    2Lbs. Venison sliced very thin, (or chipped), soak in a cup Cabernet Sauvignon for a few hours. Add 2 cups beef broth, sliced green pepper, onion, & mushrooms. Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Cook on on high in the slow cooker 4 hours. Drain, add provolone cheese and melt in.
    Put on hoagie roll, top with provolone, and pop in the toaster oven to melt top cheese and lightly toast the roll.
    FANTASTIC!!!,
    image.jpg

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    When I do snack sticks, I twist every 12" or so and leave them connected. I then hang them in the vertical smoker and follow the directions, like you did. It gets easier over time but it's lots of prep work lol.

Do you use a remote thermometer? I bought one but have yet to use it on snack sticks.

I pretty much used the thermometer on the door of the smoker to monitor the temps.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    OP--Glad to see someone else is getting in to making homemade sausage with their venison! Check out Scott Rea project on Youtube. He's got lots of great sausage recipe tutorials. I learned how to make sausage from watching his videos.

I'm definitely going to try that cheese steak idea. Looks great.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Not to derail my own thread, but the wife made crock pot cheese steak (venison) subs. Man O Man, I wish she would have figured this out years ago!
    2Lbs. Venison sliced very thin, (or chipped), soak in a cup Cabernet Sauvignon for a few hours. Add 2 cups beef broth, sliced green pepper, onion, & mushrooms. Salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Cook on on high in the slow cooker 4 hours. Drain, add provolone cheese and melt in.
    Put on hoagie roll, top with provolone, and pop in the toaster oven to melt top cheese and lightly toast the roll.
    FANTASTIC!!!,
    View attachment 188995

Wow that looks and sounds amazing, I am going to try that thanks for posting. This sounds great

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I started working on a pack of the snack sticks I made. These weren't as dry as the first ones I tried, in fact they were quite good. Maybe the first ones from the bottom rack of the smoker got a bit too much heat and a bit dryer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom