• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I picked up my deer from the processors on Saturday - 37 pounds of meat.

But as a newbie I have to admit I'm confused. I thought the back straps and tenderloin were the same thing, yet I got two packages each labeled separately. What's the diff?

Finally, now I'm looking for some good venison recipes. In the past I've found venison from others to be very gamey - a common complaint of course. However a year or two ago my friend brought over some venison steaks that had been marinated; they were outstanding. So of course I'm trying to get the marinade recipe from him. That's also why I asked the processor to give me as much steak as possible. I got that, plus some roast, and the rest ground. I'm also thinking next time maybe instead of straight ground, perhaps I should have asked for sausages where they'd mix it with pork or other fat and add in some seasoning. That might alter the gamey taste to make it more palatable. Any cooking, prep, marinade, or other suggestions for me?
    backstraps and tenderloin is basically a T-bone steak, just smaller portions. Outrider has a good description. Here is a good stew recipe I use with the tenderloins and or stew meat. Ive had some gamey deer that was horrible. The MD deer werent very gamey at all. Just prior to the rut is the best time to get the bucks...IMO.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=1359295&postcount=109

Tenderloin= hanging tenders or some call them the 'fish'. They are located on the inside cavity on the latter half of the deer.

Back straps run the length of the body on either side of the spine(where the ribs meet the spine). Also called loin roasts or rib roasts depending on how they are cut. You can also make chops out of them. I grill them like filet Mignon cut 3" thick wrapped with bacon and grilled med. rare. The trick about venison is: you can't cook the gamyness out of it, only into it' meaning don't over cook venison. It ruins the texture and flavor.

EDIT: I've grown to like the taste of venison and I gave up trying to change it's flavor. I eat the backstraps as steaks, I use the leg steaks for stew meat(it's the best!), burger makes the best chili in the world and I slice the roasts up for jerky or into the crock pot whole for pot roast.:yummy:
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom