• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Looking for a night stand single gun safe. Something to put in a drawer next to the bed for easy access in case I need it, but one that will also prevent kids and would-be thieves from taking it. I know some of them have cable locks to lock it to the furniture. Not sure how secure that is, but better than nothing.

Dan at GC showed me the GunVault model pictured below (thanks Dan). Anyone own this? What do you think of it. Any other models anyone recommends?

gunvpicgv1000c-dlx-gv1000d.jpg

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I own one and it is cabled to the bed frame. I like mine and it works very well, easy to access if you know the code and you don't need any light to do it.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I have the multi deluxe - I love it. Mine is lag screwed and liquid nailed to a floor. I use it daily and the batteries have lasted a long time, several months.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    The thing I'm wondering is, if you have it in a drawer, and that front door opens downward, would it hit the front of the drawer and make it kind of awkward to get your hand into it. Just thinking in terms of an emergency situation, don't want anything getting hung up when I need to get to my gun quickly.

Fustercluck

Aug 4, 2008
    Eastern Shore
    AK,
    I have the multi-deluxe, and it wouldn't fit in the nightstand drawer with enough room for the front door to open down. It is also pretty heavy.
    One thing not mentioned above that kinda chaps my butt is that you have to put the right code in with the right cadence, in order for it to open. Maybe it is just a quirk of my safe, but it annoys me that I sometimes have to put the code in twice to get it to open.
    Ex:
    one...two...three...four...one = door opens
    one...two.three.four...one = door doesn't open.
    Does that happen with anyone else?
    Otherwise, the safe works well for me, holds two guns, and has a light so I can see in the dark.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I have a model that has no key lock. It is somewhat of a PITA if the batteries run out.
    It beeps LOUDLY when you enter the code.
    Other than that, I like it. It is not a GunVault brand though.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    They have ones now that are biometric and opens from a finger print. Don't know if it is worth the extra money, but if entry speed is a factor you might want to look into it.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I use a DAC Sportsafe. Very similar and works great, but I think it's cheaper.

I would not bother with biometric - you can open these things VERY fast once you get the pattern memorized.

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    I have a model that has no key lock. It is somewhat of a PITA if the batteries run out.
    It beeps LOUDLY when you enter the code.
    Other than that, I like it. It is not a GunVault brand though.

You can turn the volume off i believe. I love mine. I have the single gun basic model and it is awesome

-Z

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    AK,
    I have the multi-deluxe, and it wouldn't fit in the nightstand drawer with enough room for the front door to open down. It is also pretty heavy.
    One thing not mentioned above that kinda chaps my butt is that you have to put the right code in with the right cadence, in order for it to open. Maybe it is just a quirk of my safe, but it annoys me that I sometimes have to put the code in twice to get it to open.
    Ex:
    one...two...three...four...one = door opens
    one...two.three.four...one = door doesn't open.
    Does that happen with anyone else?
    Otherwise, the safe works well for me, holds two guns, and has a light so I can see in the dark.
    Fustercluck:
    I had the same problem, and this is what I found out: As your batteries run down, they pull incrementally less on the bolt. Mine has a little electric motor with a length of light steel cable wrapped around the motor's shaft and then attached to the bolt. At some point, the batteries will no long have enough strength to open at all.
    Solution: replace the batteries now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom