• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    If you operate a climbing stand correctly you will not have any problems. If you are having problems and falling out of any stand you are probably incompetent.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Dude - are you just on here to troll for debates? You were arguing in another thread that a doe weighed 130 pounds field dressed, that doe won't break 100 pounds. Might want to reassess your own competence, at least at estimating field dressed weights.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I use a harness in hang ons but not in my ladders. I have 4 ratchet straps on each ladder stand two up top and two that attach tot he ladder itself after wrapping around the tree. Both of my ladders also have shooting rails which give me more peace of mind. One thing I will buy next year is 4-5 of the HSS Lifelines so you can be connected fromt he moment you leave the ground. They are like $40 each but itll be worth it.

geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    Dude - are you just on here to troll for debates? You were arguing in another thread that a doe weighed 130 pounds field dressed, that doe won't break 100 pounds. Might want to reassess your own competence, at least at estimating field dressed weights.

Looks like your starting the arguements buddy. I simply stated my opinion. And I will hold to my statement on the weight of that deer. I was in his yard with the deer you were not. So logically speaking none of you have any grounds to make any comment on the weight.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Looks like your starting the arguements buddy. I simply stated my opinion. And I will hold to my statement on the weight of that deer. I was in his yard with the deer you were not. So logically speaking none of you have any grounds to make any comment on the weight.

Telling someone in the thread to "stop being a D&*k" isn't simply stating your opinion.

There's a picture of a 9 point buck in that thread now, that weighed 128 pounds field dressed based on being weighed on a meat processor's scales. If you think the doe in that picture is as big as the buck a few posts down, I'm not sure what to tell you.

geichel

May 4, 2012
    Perry Hall, Md
    Telling someone in the thread to "stop being a D&*k" isn't simply stating your opinion.

There's a picture of a 9 point buck in that thread now, that weighed 128 pounds field dressed based on being weighed on a meat processor's scales. If you think the doe in that picture is as big as the buck a few posts down, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Calling someone a D**k is an opinion, or maybe a even a hypothesis I did base it on previous facts!

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    If you operate a climbing stand correctly you will not have any problems. If you are having problems and falling out of any stand you are probably incompetent.

This is good to know. I think I am going to need a climbing stand to hunt the Loch Raven watershed, as it is public land. According to the hunter safety course that I just took, it seems like everyone who gets into a tree stand falls out and has to phone a friend for help. They made it seem quite scary!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    This is good to know. I think I am going to need a climbing stand to hunt the Loch Raven watershed, as it is public land. According to the hunter safety course that I just took, it seems like everyone who gets into a tree stand falls out and has to phone a friend for help. They made it seem quite scary!

I do suggest practicing close by rather than out in the woods...If you are scared of heights I dont suggest you take up a climbing stand.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I do suggest practicing close by rather than out in the woods...If you are scared of heights I dont suggest you take up a climbing stand.

I have been a rock climber for years, so heights don't necessarily intimidate me-- but I like to know my equipment first, so I imagine I will be practicing close to home first.

Is there a significant difference in your ability to take a deer in a stand versus on the ground? I have heard a lot of people simply find a location to sit with their back against a tree, as in turkey hunting, and do alright. I am absolutely brand new to hunting-- no one in my family hunts at all, nor do any friends.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I have been a rock climber for years, so heights don't necessarily intimidate me-- but I like to know my equipment first, so I imagine I will be practicing close to home first.

Is there a significant difference in your ability to take a deer in a stand versus on the ground? I have heard a lot of people simply find a location to sit with their back against a tree, as in turkey hunting, and do alright. I am absolutely brand new to hunting-- no one in my family hunts at all, nor do any friends.

Well I learned as you go...I think its a better chance in a stand. What you want to find is choke points/and or deer "highways" and put your stand 15-30yds away in a good shooting angle. It also pays to have some shooting lanes cut so you can actually have a good shot on a deer. By shooting lanes I mean go up in your stand about 20-25 feet make sure you are harnessed in from the bottom all the way to where you stop and look around towards where your deer highway's are and choke points. if theres no branches or twigs in the way you are good to go...if there is some brush or branches in the way bring a small hand saw and cut them. Now you will have a good shooting lane.

Whether its bow or rifle deer are very keen on movement and scent does play into it...so only move if they are moving and they are blocked by a tree.If they spot you do not move! This also means dont move when the deer can see you. or they will spot the movement and could run off depending on how hard they have been hunted. Once you have a good bead on their vitals let them stop broadside or give a doe grunt and she should stop giving you enough time to shoot. Hopefully the shot is good and you hear her crash in a short period. If you know for sure it was a good shot. start climbing down and go look for the deer. If you are unsure wait at least 20-30 minutes or longer or you could push an injured deer 100yds to miles away...

Look at the area where you shot the deer...and look for blood...if its a good blood trail follow...if you start to lose the blood trail go in a zig zag pattern at the last place you saw blood and try to pick up on the trail of blood again.

Oct 11, 2012
    Both have their benefits, so I have one of each. Tree stands can't be beat for getting visibility of the area, and as pointed out in the previous post, you know your slug, arrow or bolt has something behind it when it passes through Bambi. But they're cold and exposed as a general rule, and slippery when the elements are against you.

My little cheapo pop-up blind on the other hand, has limited visibility, but I have placed it where I have a clean shooting line and a backstop, and it is largely immune to the effects of wind, and makes an effective scent blocker at the same time. You can also sling it over your shoulder and hike into a remote area, set up and be ready to go.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Thank you so much for the tips, guys. It's really hard to be the person who wants to hunt but really has no one to help teach me! I am very glad I found this forum!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Thank you so much for the tips, guys. It's really hard to be the person who wants to hunt but really has no one to help teach me! I am very glad I found this forum!

Hunting can be learned by yourself...It just takes time, dedication and patience! I am still learning new stuff myself! Only real advice is you gotta get outdoors and learn for yourself

kingstrider

Dec 10, 2011
    I got a good deal on a rifle last year which belonged to a guy who had fallen out of his stand and broke his pelvis. Poor guy was also selling his ATV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom