• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    So basically, ranges can no longer rent guns to individual to use at their range? I don't really like this at all, it almost insinuates that anyone wanting to rent a firearm would have to have a background check done.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Well if finding hard to tell just exactly what it does..

It makes loaning a regulated firearm to a prohibited person a crime, as long as the lender _knows_ or _has reason to believe_ that the other party is a prohibited person based on specified criteria.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So basically, ranges can no longer rent guns to individual to use at their range? I don't really like this at all, it almost insinuates that anyone wanting to rent a firearm would have to have a background check done.

You need to go to Public Safety section 5-101 for the definitions of certain words used in the section.

(s) “Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

Looks like ranges would still be able to "rent" firearms as long as they are not removed from the premises.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    You need to go to Public Safety section 5-101 for the definitions of certain words used in the section.

(s) “Rent” means the temporary transfer for consideration of a regulated firearm that is taken from the property of the owner of the regulated firearm.

Looks like ranges would still be able to "rent" firearms as long as they are not removed from the premises.
    Correct

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Don't get me wrong, this totally different that what it started out. I'm just making sure, seems much of this is not necessary. I would assume if an individual loaned a felon a firearm that would be against the law already, but I haven't check the Maryland Penal Code. I find it hard to believe that no such law doesn't already exist. So how does this law make us safe?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, this totally different that what it started out. I'm just making sure, seems much of this is not necessary. I would assume if an individual loaned a felon a firearm that would be against the law already, but I haven't check the Maryland Penal Code. I find it hard to believe that no such law doesn't already exist. So how does this law make us safe?

My guess is that this is all the result of Chow v. State where a friend "loaned" a friend a handgun and the friend took that handgun home. The Court of Appeals held that the gratuitous loan was not a "transfer" per the statute and the friend that borrowed the handgun for the sake of his safety (i.e., Chow) was found not guilty.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    My guess is that this is all the result of Chow v. State where a friend "loaned" a friend a handgun and the friend took that handgun home. The Court of Appeals held that the gratuitous loan was not a "transfer" per the statute and the friend that borrowed the handgun for the sake of his safety (i.e., Chow) was found not guilty.

Ok, this law makes that (the above example) illegal now?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I am confused by this part:

underlined here simply means that the numbering changed in this section, right, no other changes?

here is third reader:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0346t.pdf

Changes are indicated by BOLD (additions) or BRACKETS (deletions).

The stuff that is just single-underlined is existing and unmodified text. The reason it is underlined is to indicate that it was an amendment to the BILL, not to the existing STATUTE.

In this case, they completely wiped the original functional contents of the bill (the single and double strikethroughs on page 2 of the 3rd Reader text - https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=82bb314a96bf12c2780645164dae8e57&oe=5D06A67F) and modified 5-134 instead of the original plan to rewrite 5-124.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Correct. That's why everyone's work against this was so important. Let's hope we do as well on the rest of the bad bills.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Changes are indicated by BOLD (additions) or BRACKETS (deletions).

The stuff that is just single-underlined is existing and unmodified text. The reason it is underlined is to indicate that it was an amendment to the BILL, not to the existing STATUTE.

In this case, they completely wiped the original functional contents of the bill (the single and double strikethroughs on page 2 of the 3rd Reader text - https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=82bb314a96bf12c2780645164dae8e57&oe=5D06A67F) and modified 5-134 instead of the original plan to rewrite 5-124.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I had a small panic attack when I saw that part but realized it meant there was no change.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Correct. That's why everyone's work against this was so important. Let's hope we do as well on the rest of the bad bills.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Me too! If so very hard to get up to the capital from work.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I am confused by this part:

underlined here simply means that the numbering changed in this section, right, no other changes?

here is third reader:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2019RS/bills/sb/sb0346t.pdf

Hallelujah. I just read through the link you posted. Common sense has actually prevailed.

Granted, I think the "loan" of an assault weapon was already covered in the fact that somebody cannot possess an assault weapon unless they possessed it prior to 10/1/2013, but this makes a criminal out of the person loaning the assault weapon and it makes both parties criminals should they loan a handgun.

Somewhat sucks, but such is life. My dad can defend his household with a double barrel shotgun a la Biden.

If my understanding is correct, there is no loaning of assault weapons or handguns.

Now, let's say that somebody is determined to be a habitual user of alcohol or illicit drugs and he/she has a 2 year disqualification from possessing firearms. Can that person put his/her regulated firearms with an FFL for 2 years and then get them back after 2 years, or must they all go bye bye?

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    Section E still seems over the top.

(E) (1) A person may not sell, rent, or transfer:

(i) ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm to a person who is under the age of 21 years; or

(ii) 1. a firearm other than a regulated firearm to a minor;
    2. ammunition for a firearm to a minor
    3. pepper mace, which is an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant based products and is also known as oleo–resin capsicum (O.C.) or
    4. another deadly weapon to a minor.

If I am reading this correctly, a parent cannot give a child ammo for deer hunting? Or a rifle for that matter? My 16yr old daughter can't be given pepper spray to protect herself. What is a deadly weapon? Hammers are used to kill people, does that qualify as a deadly weapon? What defines 'deadly weapon'? AM I misreading this?

jefflac02

Dec 28, 2016
    It goes to show, contrary to some members here who think those of us who testify are wasting our time, that there can be a difference made.

This bill is the perfect example. I confronted Sen Ferguson on twitter and his indication was this bill was to stop straw gun purchase for prohibited persons. That is it the way the bill was written and Sen Hough even confronted him on the intent of the bill in session.

Thanks to everyone who testified and especially to Mark and Mike and the others from Md 2A orgs who put hard facts on the table to show that this bill was egregious.

No where close to the finish line, but one having one go down without infringements should encourage us to keep the push on our legislators that many other bills need killed or severely amended to stop punishing us, the non-criminal. Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD

The issue raised by the other side is that Chow v Maryland (https://caselaw.findlaw.com/md-court-of-appeals/1123356.html) was getting in the way of prosecutions of illegal possessors because their lawyers rely on the Chow decision and call the possession a "loan".

The statute, as it stands today (Public Safety 5-134) penalizes transfers to prohibited persons; the Chow decision defines a "transfer" as a permanent transaction for compensation (paraphrasing heavily, since one needs to read the full decision to make sense of it). Therefore, the hole - a loan is neither for compensation, nor considered permanent.

We lobbied heavily to get the bill changed to the way it stands now - which requires a mens rea (Mark can define better than me) test - IF the Loaner knows or has reason to believe that the Loanee is prohibited and still loans a regulated firearm, both the Loaner and Loanee can be pursued in court for criminal penalties.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Section E still seems over the top.

(E) (1) A person may not sell, rent, or transfer:

(i) ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm to a person who is under the age of 21 years; or

(ii) 1. a firearm other than a regulated firearm to a minor;
    2. ammunition for a firearm to a minor
    3. pepper mace, which is an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant based products and is also known as oleo–resin capsicum (O.C.) or
    4. another deadly weapon to a minor.

If I am reading this correctly, a parent cannot give a child ammo for deer hunting? Or a rifle for that matter? My 16yr old daughter can't be given pepper spray to protect herself. What is a deadly weapon? Hammers are used to kill people, does that qualify as a deadly weapon? What defines 'deadly weapon'? AM I misreading this?
    Subsection E is existing law (as 5-134(d)). It is now Subsection E because of additions above that point. Nothing in that subsection is being changed other than the section identifier.

I will let the more lawyerly folks answer the remaining questions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom